bazzingabear

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2013
Hey all. I recently got the itch to upgrade my GTX 1070 + Ryzen 5 2600X setup to something more recent, and would love some input since I've been completely oblivious to the hardware scene for the past 4-5 years. I'm not even sure if this is a good time to pull the trigger, or if I should wait for new releases.

My primary purpose would be gaming @ 1080p @ 144Hz; I'm into playing all kinds of AAA titles and would like something that would last me atleast 4-5 years. With that in mind, I've been eyeing the Ryzen 5600X + RTX 3070/3080 combo even though I'm not even sure if I will see much of a performance gain @ this resolution. I can afford either [3080 + 5600X] or [3070 + 5800X3D] but probably not both [3080 + 5800X3D].

My current specs:

MB - MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
GPU - EVGA GTX 1070 8GB
CPU - Ryzen 5 2600X
Cooler - Cryorig H7 Tower Cooler
RAM - G.Skill 16GB (8GBX2) DDR4 3200 MHz
PSU - Corsair TX650M 650 Watts Gold
Case - NZXT H500
Monitor - Acer XB241H 144Hz G-Sync @ 1080p

• Is an upgrade to [5600X + 3070/3080] from [2600X + 1070] worth it at this point in time? Pls do suggest other models if they seem like a better fit.
  • My current B450 MB should work fine with the new CPU after a BIOS update, right?
  • PSU & cooler good enough?
Thank you for taking the time to read through, have a good one! :)

Btw, as far as the b450 board, as long as there’s a bios update you should be golden. I upgraded on an Asrock ab350 pro 4. But it works great. You could also consider the 6700xt as far as graphics go. That’s what I’ve got paired with my 5600x at the moment and it seems perfectly happy.

One suggestion, if you look it’s not a whole lot more money to look at the 5800x. I think on eBay the 5800x can be had for 220-230, so it might be worth it to get the extra power if you think you are going to sit on the platform and not jump to the new socket for a while.

bazzingabear

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2013
If you are playing at 1080p then a 3060ti would be a good choice. Stellar FPS.

I see, I hadn't even considered anything lower than a 3070. I hate that word, but don't you think the 3070 would be a little more "future-proof" for the next 3-4 years' gaming titles, or is it too much overkill for 1080p 144Hz?

One suggestion, if you look it’s not a whole lot more money to look at the 5800x

Thank you for the affirmation. I fell in love with that chip and was in fact leaning towards the 5800X3D, but I've been learning that it tends to run quite hot. I would most definitely have to get a $100 aftermarket cooler to keep it from hitting the 90s (ambient temperature where I live = easy 30s). Also since the prices are a bit inflated here, it's hard to convince myself that the premium price + cooler cost is worth getting those few extra frames that I might or might not notice.

I get what you mean. I’ve got the 5600x and right now it seems to do pretty well. I wouldn’t mind the 5800x3d, but then you realize you can get probably a 12600k and a b660 board for about the same money or less. Plus zen 4 and Intel’s 13th gen are right around the corner as well.

You could go 3070 but you could also go 6700xt or higher. Running one of those with my 5600x and it seems to be a good pairing for 1080p 144hz.

I see, I hadn't even considered anything lower than a 3070. I hate that word, but don't you think the 3070 would be a little more "future-proof" for the next 3-4 years' gaming titles, or is it too much overkill for 1080p 144Hz?
Yes, for sure you could argue that point. However, it's the same Vram as the 3060ti.

Here's a rough guide to the difference: RTX 3060 Ti vs RTX 3070 - How Big is The Difference? - YouTube

You're talking about 5-10% improvment depending on the game.

Keep in mind as far as the 3070 is concerned you are going to pay more for it and new cards shouldn’t be too far out. You may consider a more budget friendly card like the 3060 or 3060ti and then see what the new generation has. Or if nothing else you may catch a deal on a 3080 or something as they clear out the stock.

"worth it" questions are always gain vs cost. 5600x is much faster and feels smoother to use.
if you work on that machine, and have cash to spare, then I would do it. 3'rd and 5'th gen AMD did change a lot in everyday usage, it's way more responsive, and if you spend like 4h+ per day here, small things will save you like 5 min per day.
If you game on it, then look at your game with some FPS/load and see if cpu is slowing you down. Might not be worth it, over getting more ram, or another SSD, or just saving the cash for something unrelated.

I personally would save that cash for a second monitor + buy 3080 right now, as support for 10 series is already bad, and your experience in new games will not be the best.
if you want that CPU, then wait for 7'th gen release, as there will be a lot of upgraders, getting rid of 5800/5900's, and you can get them cheaper.

if you have a lot of cash (like 2.5-3k), wait for 7'th gen AMD's and 4'th gen NVIDIA, both should be here in 2 months or so, and performance will double over previous gen in most games.

Or the other move might be as he said, wait for the upgraders to move and dump their cpus, grab a high end zen 3, then wait for the newest gpus to come out. Although from a 1070, even an rx 6600 should be a good upgrade. Don’t forget you can sell old parts for cash. For example on eBay someone just bought my previous ryzen 5 3600 for 100 bucks. So you may consider that to take a bite out of your costs. I’d just be sure you get the new part installed and working before selling.

bazzingabear

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2013
Another cpu to consider is the 5700X.

Where I live, the 5700X is unfortunately ~$100 more expensive than the cheapest 5600X I could find.

You're talking about 5-10% improvment depending on the game.

You're correct, it really doesn't seem worth the price difference. Thank you for the comparison video, that was really helpful.

Keep in mind as far as the 3070 is concerned you are going to pay more for it and new cards shouldn’t be too far out. You may consider a more budget friendly card like the 3060 or 3060ti and then see what the new generation has.

Yes and yes, I couldn't agree more my friend. That's exactly what I've decided to do. :)

Reactions: Why_Me

bazzingabear

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2013
Thank you for your inputs. I really wanted to get the 5800X3D but its price is quite inflated where I live; it's therefore extremely hard to justify the gain for the price. Add to that the fact that it's quite a hot chip and that I'd have to definitely get atleast a $100 air cooler, I've decided that it's not worth it right now for me. I'm going to be buying a 5600 instead (non X most likely because GamersNexus Jesus says the X isn't worth the extra few $) along with a 3060Ti for the time being, with the intention of dumping the latter in a few months in order to upgrade to a RTX 4070 whenever possible.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
As an alternative, consider the RX 6600 or the 6600xt. Those are in the neighborhood of the 3060, but in the USA at least for a while they were a good bit cheaper. To be closer to the 3060ti, look at the 6700xt. I have one of those and play at 1080p 144hz. With the 5600x, it does great. I was playing spider man remastered yesterday and it seemed very smooth.

For the 5600, I think it's pretty much a wash compared to the 5600x. I have one of those and am using a wraith prism cooler with it. When I did intel cpu burn test on it, it only went up to about 56.8 degrees at full load, so something like a wraith prism or hyper 212 should handle that cpu very well. The stock one should be fine also if you have enough airflow in the case.

bazzingabear

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2013
As an alternative, consider the RX 6600 or the 6600xt. Those are in the neighborhood of the 3060, but in the USA at least for a while they were a good bit cheaper. To be closer to the 3060ti, look at the 6700xt. I have one of those and play at 1080p 144hz. With the 5600x, it does great. I was playing spider man remastered yesterday and it seemed very smooth.

Ah yes, forgive me for forgetting to address your previous suggestions of 6600/6700XT. The reason I'm sticking to nVidia is because my monitor is a tad old and only supports G-Sync.

No problem I get it. You probably paid a good amount for it at the time then. When the tech was new those were likely high dollar. But I think with the upgrades you are talking about that you’ll be happy with the results. Even a nice improvement when I changed from a 3600 to 5600x.

Thank you for your inputs. I really wanted to get the 5800X3D but its price is quite inflated where I live; it's therefore extremely hard to justify the gain for the price. Add to that the fact that it's quite a hot chip and that I'd have to definitely get atleast a $100 air cooler, I've decided that it's not worth it right now for me. I'm going to be buying a 5600 instead (non X most likely because GamersNexus Jesus says the X isn't worth the extra few $) along with a 3060Ti for the time being, with the intention of dumping the latter in a few months in order to upgrade to a RTX 4070 whenever possible.

Good luck with your build, and happy gaming :)