CyberBird

Honorable
Apr 24, 2017
Hello all,

Recently my pc was having random freezing issues and I changed my CPU, RAM and Motherboard to help fix them but every time i change a part that i think is the issue, another issue comes up. I attached two photos for a test i just ran

My OLD pc specs:
CPU: Ryzen 5 1600
RAM: Team Dark 16gb memory
Mobo: gigabyte ab350m-gaming 3
GPU: GTX 1060gb

I ran memtest with this and got 42 errors

I then changed my ram first to G.Skill Flare x 3200mhz (2x8gb)

And ran memtest again and this time 0 errors

After that I thought everything was okay but my pc was still freezing so i RMA'd the motherboard and turned out it was faulty so I upgraded to Gigabyte B450 Aurous Elite V2 and ran memtest again, this time also 0 errors

However, this time the pc wouldn't even boot so i suspected the old motherboard Might have ruined my cpu or i accidentally bent a pin while reseating. I confirmed this with a friend's cpu that worked perfectly with my new mobo so I changed my CPU to Ryzen 5 2600.

CURRENT SYSTEM AFTER ALL UPGRADES:
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
RAM: 16GB G.Skill Flare x (2x8)
MOBO: Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite V2
GPU:Gtx 1060 6gb

This time I didn't get freezes but instead would get a combo of 3 BSOD's:
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE
and
0xc000021a

Ran memtest again and got 400+ errors :/
https://ibb.co/cJFBCxZ

Tested with both sticks, got errors in tests 4,6,7,8,9

I am so confused since everything was working fine before and I changed virtually nothing but the cpu and now this. Could this be the CPU or what exactly is it I am extremely confused. I use this pc for my work and it's already been two months without it and I'm starting to struggle using my old laptop as a substitute. Any help would be appreciated

CyberBird

Honorable
Apr 24, 2017
When was the last time you did a clean reinstall of Windows?
Like 2 hours ago, and I did it twice.

Also update:
I'm now testing each ram stick alone and the first stick worked with no problems. I'm now going to test the other one. I heard of a problem in faulty cpus where they can't run RAM in dual channel so my guess either there's a problem with the other ram or the CPU. Please tell me what you think.

Like 2 hours ago, and I did it twice.

Also update:
I'm now testing each ram stick alone and the first stick worked with no problems. I'm now going to test the other one. I heard of a problem in faulty cpus where they can't run RAM in dual channel so my guess either there's a problem with the other ram or the CPU. Please tell me what you think.
More likely the RAM is incompatible than the CPU is faulty. Are you placing the RAM sticks in the slots recommended in your motherboard manual?

CyberBird

Honorable
Apr 24, 2017
I did install them in the recommended way (channels 1 and 2) and they are also the same kit so they should work together. I tested the second stick and I already have 11 errors (10 in test 6 and 1 in 8) so im guessing that stick is bad. I'll have to contact the store then.

If you could please explain how they were working fine before and suddenly one of them just became faulty without any changes I'd appreciate that since im kinda confused

I did install them in the recommended way (channels 1 and 2) and they are also the same kit so they should work together. I tested the second stick and I already have 11 errors (10 in test 6 and 1 in 8) so im guessing that stick is bad. I'll have to contact the store then.

If you could please explain how they were working fine before and suddenly one of them just became faulty without any changes I'd appreciate that since im kinda confused
I can not explain the odd behavior of your PC but it does make me suspect a power supply problem. Here is a post i got from superuser.com;

It's fairly safe to say that there is a hardware fault when MemTest fails. RAM is the most likely culprit, but there are a few other things that it could be in rare circumstances. I'll list them in decreasing likelihood:
  1. RAM - Yes, the RAM could just be bad. This is the answer at least 95% of the time.
  2. Power Supply - RAM operation is fairly sensitive to power fluctuations. An ailing PS could have all sorts of odd effects. The only real test is to swap in an known good PS with lots of extra capacity.
  3. Motherboard - This connects all of these components together, leading to a lot of possible failure points. A motherboard problem is just as hard to diagnose as a power supply, though.
  4. CPU - You'd probably see other problems if your CPU was having trouble. That said, modern CPUs have memory controllers built in, so memory errors could be a result of a problem CPU. Running a CPU stress test is a fairly reliable way to ferret out these issues.

CyberBird

Honorable
Apr 24, 2017
I actually did try a different PSU at a local pc shop, it was a Corsair 1000w psu and the problems still occurred before so I doubt it's a PSU issue. I disabled XMP profile and the system has been running stable but the memory clock is 2133 which I don't like. Could this be a problem with ryzen and XMP? I don't really understand all this stuff but i do know that there were problems with 3200mhz CL16 RAM and Ryzen processors so could this be it or does a memtest error automatically mean it's a faulty ram stick?