Question Issue with HDD not being recognised ?

MadsWBA

Commendable
Apr 24, 2020
Hi,

So i recently ran into a big problem, where 1 of my 3 drives wasn't being recognised. It happened suddenly. I have 3 outputs from the power supply that can be used for drives., but whenever I try to connect my SEAGATE BARRACUDA ST2000DM008 the PC turns on extremely slow and the harddrive isn't being recognised at all. Not in the Disk Management, not in the BIOS, not in DISKPART in CMD or anything like that. I bought a new SATA Cable today, seeing if that'll fix it. It didn't. When unplugging the Power Supply cable and SATA cable from my WDC HDD the same occurs, so I am now wondering if there is something faulty with one of the Power Supply outputs or something with the SEAGATE HDD. But to add to the list of confusion, the "faulty" hard drive fan can be heard spinning and the drive gets warm as any normal drive. At this point, I'm honestly lost. Should i try buying a new Power Supply cable, a new drive (hopefully not) or what....it's honestly just getting annoying at this point and I'd rather not spend any more money on this PC atm. Mind you all the specs are no more than 2 years old (except for the KINGSTONand WDC drive).

Any help is greatly appreciated!:)

My Specs:
Motherboard: B450 TOMAHAWK MAX (MS-7C02)
Processor: AMD RYZEN 5 3600 6-CORE
Ram: 2 sticks of CORSAIR 8GB
Power Supply: CORSAIR TX650M
Drives:
  1. KINGSTON SV300S37A120G (boot)
  2. WDC WD5000AAKX-083CA1
  3. SEAGATE BARRACUDA ST2000DM008 (faulty)

Ralston18

Titan
What OS are you running?

In any case that 120 GB boot drive is problematic. Likely too small.

For all drives: How full?

What is the reason for deeming the Seagate Barracuda as "faulty"?

Do you see any error codes in Reliability History or Event Viewer? If so, what are those codes?

Hi,

So i recently ran into a big problem, where 1 of my 3 drives wasn't being recognised. It happened suddenly. I have 3 outputs from the power supply that can be used for drives., but whenever I try to connect my SEAGATE BARRACUDA ST2000DM008 the PC turns on extremely slow and the harddrive isn't being recognised at all. Not in the Disk Management, not in the BIOS, not in DISKPART in CMD or anything like that. I bought a new SATA Cable today, seeing if that'll fix it. It didn't. When unplugging the Power Supply cable and SATA cable from my WDC HDD the same occurs, so I am now wondering if there is something faulty with one of the Power Supply outputs or something with the SEAGATE HDD. But to add to the list of confusion, the "faulty" hard drive fan can be heard spinning and the drive gets warm as any normal drive. At this point, I'm honestly lost. Should i try buying a new Power Supply cable, a new drive (hopefully not) or what....it's honestly just getting annoying at this point and I'd rather not spend any more money on this PC atm. Mind you all the specs are no more than 2 years old (except for the KINGSTONand WDC drive).

Any help is greatly appreciated!:)

My Specs:
Motherboard: B450 TOMAHAWK MAX (MS-7C02)
Processor: AMD RYZEN 5 3600 6-CORE
Ram: 2 sticks of CORSAIR 8GB
Power Supply: CORSAIR TX650M
Drives:
  1. KINGSTON SV300S37A120G (boot)
  2. WDC WD5000AAKX-083CA1
  3. SEAGATE BARRACUDA ST2000DM008 (faulty)
Posr a screenshot from crystal disk info for all 3 disk.

MadsWBA

Commendable
Apr 24, 2020
What OS are you running?

In any case that 120 GB boot drive is problematic. Likely too small.

For all drives: How full?

What is the reason for deeming the Seagate Barracuda as "faulty"?

Do you see any error codes in Reliability History or Event Viewer? If so, what are those codes?

1) Yeah I know, I'll have to upgrade to a bigger one soon.

2) Kingston SSD boot has 17gb free out of 110gb
Western Digital HDD has 72.7gb free out of 465gb
Seagate Barracuda HDD, as i recall it has over 1tb free out of 2tb. But since i can't access the drive I'm not 100% sure.

3) I haven't totally deemed it faulty. The reason is simply that i can't find the drive in Pathfinder, Disk Management, DiskPart, BIOS or anywhere. While i can hear the drive running inside the PC case i have no way of accessing it. I also have trouble understanding the behaviour of the drive when i have an all new SATA cable that's connected and the power supply that's connected is no more than 2 years old (and the 2 other drives that are connected to the PSU works fine.)

4) Couldn't find anything in Reliability History (not sure what to look after tbh) and in Event Viewer the only thing related to the HDD was when i tried to access it yesterday. I got the see Error Codes:
1B1@02000018
and
800701B1@02070008

Another thing i found it the exact date when the HDD wasn't working. 1st of jan 2022 at that time the it was called Disk 3, but later on in the event viewer it is called Disk 2. Don't know why. But all the 157 occurrences are called "Disk3/2 has surprisingly been removed"

5) Sidenote, I can sort of confirm that the PC somehow registers when the Seagate HDD is connected, because the boot up now takes 5 minutes instead of 20 seconds. Which too is weird.

Ralston18

Titan
Run Disk Management.

Expand the Window as necessary to show drives, partitions, etc..

Take a screenshot and post here via imgur (www.imgur.com)

Also open Powershell as admin and run the Get-Disk cmdlet.

= = = = What you should see ( From my system) = = = =

Windows PowerShell
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Try the new cross-platform PowerShell https://aka.ms/pscore6

PS C:\Users\XXXXX> Get-Disk

Number Friendly Name Serial Number HealthStatus OperationalStatus Total Size Partition
Style
------ ------------- ------------- ------------ ----------------- ---------- ----------
2 ATA Samsun... 36B Healthy Online 931.51 GB GPT
1 KBG30ZMS25... 0008_0D04_0023_14F4. Healthy Online 238.47 GB GPT
0 Samsung SS... S59UNS0N502804E Healthy Online 465.76 GB GPT

==============

Does Powershell "see" the drive(s)?

MadsWBA

Commendable
Apr 24, 2020
Run Disk Management.

Expand the Window as necessary to show drives, partitions, etc..

Take a screenshot and post here via imgur (www.imgur.com)

Also open Powershell as admin and run the Get-Disk cmdlet.

= = = = What you should see ( From my system) = = = =

Windows PowerShell
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Try the new cross-platform PowerShell https://aka.ms/pscore6

PS C:\Users\XXXXX> Get-Disk

Number Friendly Name Serial Number HealthStatus OperationalStatus Total Size Partition
Style
------ ------------- ------------- ------------ ----------------- ---------- ----------
2 ATA Samsun... 36B Healthy Online 931.51 GB GPT
1 KBG30ZMS25... 0008_0D04_0023_14F4. Healthy Online 238.47 GB GPT
0 Samsung SS... S59UNS0N502804E Healthy Online 465.76 GB GPT

==============

Does Powershell "see" the drive(s)?

Disk management picture
View: https://imgur.com/gallery/Atqnw00

and Powershell only recognizes my SSD and Western Digital HDD and not the Seagate Barracuda HDD which is the problematic drive

Ralston18

Titan
If I am following correctly - there is some awareness of Disk 2 - "Unknown - Not initialized".

What is the history of that Seagate Barracuda Drive?

Take a look at the following links:

https://www.diskpart.com/disk-management/external-hard-drive-not-initialized-4348.html

https://www.seagate.com/support/kb/how-to-format-your-hard-drive-220151en/

However, do not immediately do anything.

Hopefully there will be other ideas and suggestions. Second opinions needed....

= = = =

My biggest concern is that you have all important data backed up at least 2 x to locations off of the current host system.

Verify that the data is recoverable and readable.

All too easy to make a mistake and lose/delete data on other drives.