[SOLVED] Keyboard causing a BIOS freeze after a clod boot (Asus Z97-A as motherboard and Asus TUF gaming K7 as keyboard)

Volgare

Commendable
Dec 1, 2021
Hello everybody,
I have a conflict between my motherboard and my keyboard. The problem:
When I boot the PC for the first time after a power down (out of order), with my keyboard plugged in, the PC boots but I get stuck on the "Press F2 or DEL to enter on BIOS setting" page. If I press DEL or F2, nothing happens. I have to manually turn off the PC, unplug the keyboard, turn on the PC, wait for the BIOS to boot Windows and finally plug in my keyboard. From then on and until I put out of order my PC, I can boot or reboot with my keyboard plugged in without any problem. The problem is only when booting after a power down also called cold boot. I have tried updating my keyboard, updating the motherboard BIOS, unplugging all other devices and leaving only the keyboard but the problem remains the same. The only pseudo solution I found is to disable the loading of USB devices in the bios at boot time. This fixes the problem but after doing this I can't go to the BIOS anymore. I've heard that this could be because my keyboard needs more power than a regular keyboard (especially because of the RGB LEDs) and therefore during a cold boot the motherboard couldn't bring enough power and therefore would freeze.
Thank you for reading this and if anyone has an idea or a solution I'm interested.

Solution
Finally, I found a solution, In my bios, in advanced, in USB configuration, I disabled Legacy USB support and it looks like i no longer have the boot freeze problem.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

What BIOS version are you working with at the time of writing? Have you taken the keyboard to a donor system and seen if the issue crops up on donor system? Also, you will need to parse the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

Volgare

Commendable
Dec 1, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

What BIOS version are you working with at the time of writing? Have you taken the keyboard to a donor system and seen if the issue crops up on donor system? Also, you will need to parse the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
Thank you for your welcome,
My bios version is currently the version 2801 (I try to update on the 3xxx version but the problem is the same).
I try my keyboard on an other PC and there is no problem, even after a cold boot.
I also try an other keyboard on my PC and it's also work perfectly.
So i conclude my problem my problem comes from the association motherboard + keyboard.
I try to boot on my PC with the keyboard plugged but without hard drive without screen without mouse speaker ect and the problem is same it's stuck at BIOS display.

My spec :
CPU: intel core i7 4790
Motherboard: Asus Z97-A
Ram: Hyper X beast DDR3 2 +4 Go 1600MHz Cas 9 + 8 Go Kingston
SSD/HDD: CT500MX500SSD1 500,1 GB
GPU: Nvidia Geforce 1070 8Go
PSU: Cooler Master G650M Bronze Modulate 650W
Chassis: Antec P280
Monitor: Iiyama ProLite GB2488HSU-B1

Ziadul87

Reputable
BANNED
Just sharing my similar experience. since 1-2 weeks, if i connect my DVD RW drive to my motherboard, the bios screen takes more than 2 mins (I almost thought it froze until it actually booted to windows).
Clicking the "eject disc" button during BIOS screen caused it to boot into windows easily. not clicking resulted in 2+mins of waiting in BIOS screen.
For now, DVD drive is disconnected and bios screen takes 2-3 secs just as it should.

Volgare

Commendable
Dec 1, 2021
Finally, I found a solution, In my bios, in advanced, in USB configuration, I disabled Legacy USB support and it looks like i no longer have the boot freeze problem.

Reactions: Ziadul87
Solution