Question Kingston SSD Manager doesn't see Kingston SSD ?

uglyfatandalive

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2014
Well, hi!
I want to update the firmware on my Kingston NVMe SSD but the Kingston SSD Manager (the only way to update) doesn't see any drives.
BIOS is OK, Windows is OK, speeds and etc OK. Just the manager doesn't see it ?

It gives me some errors that you can see on the images below, so if you know what I can do - please let me know.

SSD Model is: Kingston SA2000M8500G

https://img.onl/ubHCMX
https://img.onl/xuOjr1

All best,

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
BIOS is OK
I see you're on version 8.01(Beta) BIOS which is the latest. Have you tried clearing your CMOS? Have you tried dropping he SSD onto another known working M.2 PCIe slot? Your board's second M.2 slot will only accept a SATA based M.2 SSD.

Just an FYI;
Kingston SSD firmware updates are provided via Kingston’s SSD Manager (KSM) application. If a firmware update is applicable or available for your product, KSM will indicate this, and the firmware release notes related to the update will be displayed within the application interface.
From here;
https://www.kingston.com/en/support/technical/ksm-firmware-update

Is this a drive you purchased new in box or did it come with a computer/OEM purchase?

It seems like the Kingston software isn't great at properly detecting devices. Potentially making sure your motherboard is set to AHCI mode could help, but it's new enough I imagine it already is.

I'm somewhat curious as to what is detecting it as a 2.5" SATA drive as that shouldn't be right.

Reactions: PEnns

uglyfatandalive

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2014
BIOS is okay, set to AHCI and detecting the NVME (this BIOS has NVME section and it sees it with no problem).
If I move it to the other M.2 slot won't it lose speeds and quality? Just asking?

Nothing is detected and ASSD benchmark gives poor scores - 40mb/s read/write. CrystalDisk gives 2000mb/s... so strange...

PEnns

Reputable
Apr 25, 2020
Those SSD Managers are not always 100% reliable / functioning correctly

I had the same issue with Crucial and Samsung.

Reverting to an older version sometimes fixed the issue of not seeing their own SSDs. Or eventually they released a newer version.

uglyfatandalive

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2014
Those SSD Managers are not always 100% reliable / functioning correctly

I had the same issue with Crucial and Samsung.

Reverting to an older version sometimes fixed the issue of not seeing their own SSDs. Or eventually they released a newer version.

Thank you but I tried all previous versions. Its strange that long time ago it did see my SSD - now it doesn't.

Jan 9, 2024
I had the same problem the other day. In my Device Manager I saw that I was using a Phison driver (Phison NVMe driver v.1.5.0.0) under "Storage controllers". I uninstalled it - also from the device - and after a restart the Kingston SSD Manager could detect my KC3000.

Using the default Microsoft driver doesn't seem to impact performance.

Last edited:

uglyfatandalive

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2014