[SOLVED] Lags when hovering the mouse above a few places

Pagesset

Reputable
Nov 27, 2015
So, as it is said in the title, I've been a long while experiencing a weird lag when passing the mouse above the Steam bar (where it says Shop, Games, etc., the part that lightens up) and above the VLC progress bar of a video or song. The issue seems to be the same and something related to the windows register or maybe the GPU software, but I really don't know what to do with it.
Thank you, whoever answers.

Solution
Agree: it may be harder than "just reloading steam".

However, I tend to work from "simplest" to "complex" with the overall awareness that those adjectives are relative in multiple ways.

What is needed to troubleshoot any problem is a methodical disciplined approach that filters out possible culprits.

If you are sure that Steam is not the issue then look at VLC.

And do avoid registry edits for the time being. Editing the registry can easily end very badly.

Regedit is a last resort.

Especially if the original registry is not backed up and recoverable....

Use Task Manager, Resource Monitor, and Process Explorer to observe what your computer does.

First while not moving the mouse over the Steam bar and, second, while moving the...

Ralston18

Titan
Using Task Manager or Resource monitor (one at a time) do the above described "mouseovers".

Watch for some impact or change in CPU, GPU, disk, RAM etc..

Likewise look for changes in apps, processes, or services.

Try to narrow down to some specific occurrence.

Pagesset

Reputable
Nov 27, 2015
Using Task Manager or Resource monitor (one at a time) do the above described "mouseovers".

Watch for some impact or change in CPU, GPU, disk, RAM etc..

Likewise look for changes in apps, processes, or services.

Try to narrow down to some specific occurrence.

Checked what you say. At least when doing it with steam, so when passing the mouse over the lightened up buttons of "games", "store", etc. the CPU usage goes from 5-10% to 30% ish, tho I can't see any process in special, as it's just shown as "steam client".

Pagesset

Reputable
Nov 27, 2015
I would start by reloading steam.....
Just reloading? I tried changing skins, going into beta, getting out of beta, reinstalling a ****

[Moderator note: edited to remove profanity. Remember that this is a family friendly Forum.]

-a-ton of times and even I formated my PC because I was so upset. I just ask because maybe the answer is in Windows register or even in BIOS hahahha

Tho I seem so harsh, I feel so pleased for you trying to help, but I have to make clear it seems harder than just reloading steam.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ralston18

Titan
Agree: it may be harder than "just reloading steam".

However, I tend to work from "simplest" to "complex" with the overall awareness that those adjectives are relative in multiple ways.

What is needed to troubleshoot any problem is a methodical disciplined approach that filters out possible culprits.

If you are sure that Steam is not the issue then look at VLC.

And do avoid registry edits for the time being. Editing the registry can easily end very badly.

Regedit is a last resort.

Especially if the original registry is not backed up and recoverable....

Use Task Manager, Resource Monitor, and Process Explorer to observe what your computer does.

First while not moving the mouse over the Steam bar and, second, while moving the mouse over the Steam bar.

And do take a look at what all is being launched at Startup (Task Manager). Research any launches you do not recognize.

Solution