[SOLVED] Laptop having lag spikes at all games, and CPU running at 70c on idle

Melonator

Reputable
Mar 8, 2016
I have an Asus Zenbook 14 with the specs
i5 8265u
mx 150
8gb ram

First off, my lag spike problem. I play low spec games like terraria, superhot, and Minecraft. Hell, even Roblox on the lowest settings.
You see, performance wise its always 60fps but the framerate would drop so bad every half minute or so.
I've done a lot of things already like:
  • Disable a LOT of things from windows 10 like Cortana, Bing search feature, peer2peer updates etc.
  • Scanned my pc here and there using Malwarebytes and ccleaner, both are on premium

And finally, my laptop runs at an idle temp of 65-70c all the time, no idea why honestly.

I need help

Solution
Honestly the weird thing is i just bought this laptop last december
I never really played that much here, I just coded and coded and thats it.
Just normal usage won't raise the temperature enough to notice. Even when coding, unless you're like me and coding/running multiple pieces of code at the same time, then you won't usually get high temperatures. That CPU in itself will normally run at 72 degrees. Add that with 70 degrees from the GPU. So it may be possible that you never ran it long enough to notice how hot the system would get to. Both combined will keep the system at around 70 degrees. But it is not something you should worry to much about. If you are truly concerned, you could get a lap cooler or chill mat to...

Cere

Great
Jun 6, 2020
Yeah im about to open my laptop and check if there's something wrong with the paste and the fans
Its very possible there is. To me it sounds like the computer is overheating for some reason and causing the spikes. I'd try giving it a good old full cleaning. If that doesn't work, then I'd look at replacing the Thermal paste on the CPU.

Melonator

Reputable
Mar 8, 2016
Its very possible there is. To me it sounds like the computer is overheating for some reason and causing the spikes. I'd try giving it a good old full cleaning. If that doesn't work, then I'd look at replacing the Thermal paste on the CPU.

Cere

Great
Jun 6, 2020
Just normal usage won't raise the temperature enough to notice. Even when coding, unless you're like me and coding/running multiple pieces of code at the same time, then you won't usually get high temperatures. That CPU in itself will normally run at 72 degrees. Add that with 70 degrees from the GPU. So it may be possible that you never ran it long enough to notice how hot the system would get to. Both combined will keep the system at around 70 degrees. But it is not something you should worry to much about. If you are truly concerned, you could get a lap cooler or chill mat to help keep it at a lower temperature.

If thee computer is fully clean, then most likely the GPU and/or CPU is throttling back due to the heat to keep them within range of stable heat temperatures. This in itself would cause what appears to be lag spikes.

Solution