[SOLVED] Laptop temperature rise up high and fall

Jun 4, 2019
Using an i7-5500u with Nvidia 940M laptop. My temperatures go up to 75 to 80 degree celcius when opening application and drops down back to 40 degree celcius. Why is that? Is that normal?

Solution
UPDATE!
So I gave my laptop to the shop to clean up the vents and replace thermal paste, it didn't workout. I guess he didn't apply the paste properly.
So I bought my own thermal paste and did the whole computer myself, and the temperatures are good.
Idle and normal work temperatures are 50 to 60 degree celcius
Gaming temperatures are 87 degree celcius the highest. I played CS:GO.
That sounds like it could be normal.
CPU temperature can go up and down rather quickly.
When you are opening an app....the cpu is working harder and the temp goes up.,
I don't think 75-80 is too bad for a laptop. Laptops generally run on the warm side.

Jun 4, 2019
As jay32267 said that's normal.

Also remixislandmusic has a good point.

I'd suggest you check and keep and eye on temps when laptop/CPU is under heavy load for a longer period than opening an application and see how high it goes and at what temp it stays.
I do. It goes up to 75 degree Celsius when opening any software, then it goes back down to +- 45 degree Celsius. When gaming, it goes up to 90 to 100 degree Celsius. But I don't use the laptop for gaming, just basic use, movies, document editting, basic Photoshop

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
I do. It goes up to 75 degree Celsius when opening any software, then it goes back down to +- 45 degree Celsius. When gaming, it goes up to 90 to 100 degree Celsius. But I don't use the laptop for gaming, just basic use, movies, document editting, basic Photoshop

Going up to 75 then coming back down to 40ish C is good. I'd say 90-100C is on the high side, again as remixislandmusic pointed out aptly, I'd see if the cooling system is free of dust and dander and check fan RPM. Ambient temperature has a little impact and using a cool pad can help a bit.

Also adding thermal paste would help with maximum temps by a few degrees. However, if you don't use it for gaming and use it for media and basic office/administrative work I wouldn't worry about those temps for day to day use.

Keep an eye on temps though, if idle or temps during your usage tend to rise I too would suggest reapplying thermal paste. If you don't have personal experience on opening up a laptop and doing that I'd suggest taking it to an official service/maintenance shop or an experienced technician.

Jun 4, 2019
Those temps are very high. Ensure the laptop is not dusty and the fan spins freely. I would try repasting the laptop.
Did that. Gave it to the shop,
Going up to 75 then coming back down to 40ish C is good. I'd say 90-100C is on the high side, again as remixislandmusic pointed out aptly, I'd see if the cooling system is free of dust and dander and check fan RPM. Ambient temperature has a little impact and using a cool pad can help a bit.

Also adding thermal paste would help with maximum temps by a few degrees. However, if you don't use it for gaming and use it for media and basic office/administrative work I wouldn't worry about those temps for day to day use.

Keep an eye on temps though, if idle or temps during your usage tend to rise I too would suggest reapplying thermal paste. If you don't have personal experience on opening up a laptop and doing that I'd suggest taking it to an official service/maintenance shop or an experienced technician.
Alright brother. Thank you so much, I'll try cleaning up the vents and fans. I'll post it here if it does not get better. Thank you :)

Jun 4, 2019
UPDATE!
So I gave my laptop to the shop to clean up the vents and replace thermal paste, it didn't workout. I guess he didn't apply the paste properly.
So I bought my own thermal paste and did the whole computer myself, and the temperatures are good.
Idle and normal work temperatures are 50 to 60 degree celcius
Gaming temperatures are 87 degree celcius the highest. I played CS:GO.

Reactions: NightHawkRMX
Solution