[SOLVED] Laptop to Desktop Cooling Solution

ethan206

Honorable
Jul 27, 2018
I have an old laptop that I have no use for anymore and want to turn it into a mini-DIY desktop but I was curious as to how I could upgrade the cooling solution. I also want to upgrade the CPU from an i7-2760QM to an i7-2960XM (45W to 55W). Are there any particular parts (laptop-tailored that could help as I can't just stick a desktop CPU cooler on it) that would help, I know it's a very niche use case but I'm not too sure of any other ideas.

Solution
On a laptop the cooling device is usually used for both CPU and GPU at the same time, so you don't have to stick a cooler on top of the CPU.

You might just find a way to solder the copper pipe of the laptop to a desktop cooler with its own fan, the fan can be powered by an USB to 3-pin adapter (slow speed, quiet), or simply by a 12V DC adapter (full speed, noisy).
On a laptop the cooling device is usually used for both CPU and GPU at the same time, so you don't have to stick a cooler on top of the CPU.

You might just find a way to solder the copper pipe of the laptop to a desktop cooler with its own fan, the fan can be powered by an USB to 3-pin adapter (slow speed, quiet), or simply by a 12V DC adapter (full speed, noisy).

Solution