[SOLVED] Looking to get wifi on the Gigabyte B365M D3SH Motherboard.

SpaceMunkie

Prominent
Jun 19, 2020
Hello,
So i recently received my first prebuilt PC and it came with the GigabyteB365M D3SH LGA 1151 Motherboard, I just launched windows and got it going.
Honestly, i was unaware that it wouldn't be wifi ready which I expected it to be.
According to the motherboard specs and reviews that i've read, it doesn't come with wifi
The PC asks for ethernet in my network settings and thats about it.
I can get an ethernet cable going but I would prefer to get wifi going on here.
I understand I can get a wifi adapter but I was wondering if anybody knows what kinds of adapters would be ideal
or what would be the best way to get wifi for this sort of motherboard
Basically, any not so expensive way that will still allow me to get good internet.
Also, will my internet speeds suffer from different types of adapters?
Is the onboard motherboard wifi installation the best ideaa?
My laptop currently gets about 90-100 mbps down with wifi so hopefully not.

Any help is appreciated,
Thanks

Last edited:
Solution
Your board has three PCIe slots:
  • x16 top slot (where your GPU goes)
  • x1 second slot (your GPU will cover this up)
  • x4 third slot (this is where you'll put your WiFi card.
Technically mATX boards can have up to 4 expansion slots, but not all come with all 4 slots (like yours). That generally becomes a result of IO to/from the chipset. So higher end chipsets (Intel Z series and AMD X series) will almost always have all 4 slots. Mid tier chipsets like Intel Hx70 and AMD B series will more often than not have all 4 slots, sometimes they'll omit the first slot under the GPU since that's almost always covered up anyway. As you go lower into Intel B series and Hx10 and AMD A series, you'll see 2 or 3 PCIe slots.

SpaceMunkie

Prominent
Jun 19, 2020
Generally, PCIe x1 internal WiFi cards are more reliable in my experience (compared to USB dongles)

https://www.newegg.com/tp-link-archer-t6e-pci-express/p/N82E16833704274

Yeah thats what I've kinda been gathering through some research as well,
This might sound like a dumb question but do you know where I can attach this on my motherboard. I'm still learning so I''m not sure exactly where I would put this thing on my motherboard.
Here is the link to what my motherboard looks like. If you can help me with which general area I'm supposed to stick it at. It would help me out.

https://www.gigabyte.com/ca/Motherboard/B365M-DS3H-rev-10#kf

Your board has three PCIe slots:
  • x16 top slot (where your GPU goes)
  • x1 second slot (your GPU will cover this up)
  • x4 third slot (this is where you'll put your WiFi card.
Technically mATX boards can have up to 4 expansion slots, but not all come with all 4 slots (like yours). That generally becomes a result of IO to/from the chipset. So higher end chipsets (Intel Z series and AMD X series) will almost always have all 4 slots. Mid tier chipsets like Intel Hx70 and AMD B series will more often than not have all 4 slots, sometimes they'll omit the first slot under the GPU since that's almost always covered up anyway. As you go lower into Intel B series and Hx10 and AMD A series, you'll see 2 or 3 PCIe slots.

Solution

SpaceMunkie

Prominent
Jun 19, 2020
Oh that clears some things up for me for sure. However, the x1 second slot and x16 top slot definitely don't seem like I could use for the wifi card.
They're almost entirely covered by my GPU.

Overall, theres like very little space for me to attach any more things on the motherboard lol

I tried looking at the motherboard manual and I couldn't find anything about the location of the x4 third slot. This is what my wiring and fan placement looks like for my prebuild.

https://c1.neweggimages.com/NeweggImage/ProductImageCompressAll1280/83-102-964-Z07.jpg

I feel like right at the bottom of the motherboard seems like the only place I could attach anything else on the motherboard.

There's like 1 inch of motherboard at the bottom below the GPU with some slots but i doubt they're the slot I would put the wifi card into.

Looking at that picture, where do you think I could put the wifi card into?

I'm new to PC building so I don't wanna disassemble everything and screw up too much that I can't fix.

But id appreciate if you could point me to where I should plug it in or if its even possible with this prebuild