[SOLVED] Lots of issues with old PC, is it worth trying to fix?

DEATHbyCAI

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2012
So I've had this PC since 2012, and have not been kind to it. It's started shutting of randomly so I opened it up and noticed the only case fan isn't working, one GPU fan isn't working, and after checking the temp readings etc it seems quite BAD. Is it worth me trying to get it sorted? I've been needing to upgrade for a while anyway so might just get a whole new one.

AUNESd.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Yep. certainly time to upgrade.

FX-6100 is quite dated, wasn't all that great at launch compared to an Intel core 2nd gen.

Any Ryzen 5 processor will be a great replacement. Intel i5. 9th or 10th gen would do as well, but AMD is going to be cheaper.

Pick yourself up some new fans, and consider replacing the power supply.

You'll want a CPU, Motherboard, Memory, GPU, and possibly storage.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador

FX-6100 is quite dated, wasn't all that great at launch compared to an Intel core 2nd gen.

Any Ryzen 5 processor will be a great replacement. Intel i5. 9th or 10th gen would do as well, but AMD is going to be cheaper.

Reactions: King_V
Solution

DEATHbyCAI

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2012

I've been thinking I might just start from scratch since I need to replace basically everything. I've been looking at a Ryzen 5 processor, RTX 2060, SSD etc. Just need to save up enough!