Question Low framerate on every game I have, good PC, can not figure out what is going on.

Apr 26, 2020
I have an intel i7-8700K, EVGA 1080 ti, 16gb RAM, and for some reason I get constant frame drops in games such as Doom, I can't get over 40 fps in Minecraft, Modern Warfare, Fortnite, etc. Wifi is not the issue, I have used MSI afterburner to see what is going on and it says a ton of RAM is being used, such as 9 Gb for Minecraft, but I have no idea what to do or if there is a RAM leak. I am not a very experienced tech person but I've tried tons of stuff and nothing seems to be working. I've reinstalled drivers, allocated more ram to games but I have no clue. Someone help. Thanks!

Apr 26, 2020
Where do you have your monitor connected? If you have it connected to the motherboard, then you will be using integrated graphics and will get low framerates and some elevated RAM usage as the integrated GPU has to use system RAM for VRAM.
DisplayPort to the graphics card. I encountered that fix when my monitor wouldn’t go above 60hz unless it was DisplayPort a year or two ago

DisplayPort to the graphics card. I encountered that fix when my monitor wouldn’t go above 60hz unless it was DisplayPort a year or two ago

Okay, how are your temperatures both CPU and GPU? Some sort of thermal throttling could be causing framerate drops. Windows power profiles might also be capping your clockspeeds if it's set to something like 'Power Saver' and that could hurt performance.

Minecraft recently added and Modern Warfare also has RTX ray tracing modes and a GTX 1080Ti cannot deliver good performance with those as it doesn't have the dedicated ray tracing hardware. Make sure you don't have those enabled.

Apr 26, 2020
Okay, how are your temperatures both CPU and GPU? Some sort of thermal throttling could be causing framerate drops. Windows power profiles might also be capping your clockspeeds if it's set to something like 'Power Saver' and that could hurt performance.

Minecraft recently added and Modern Warfare also has RTX ray tracing modes and a GTX 1080Ti cannot deliver good performance with those as it doesn't have the dedicated ray tracing hardware. Make sure you don't have those enabled.
Here is a link to an image of what I got in MSI Afterburner: Here When I had MSI afterburner open during a game of modern warfare it significantly slowed down my game, but lower framerate than I should have regardless with it on or off. Also I checked in windows power settings and I have it set to performance currently.

Here is a link to an image of what I got in MSI Afterburner: Here When I had MSI afterburner open during a game of modern warfare it significantly slowed down my game, but lower framerate than I should have regardless with it on or off. Also I checked in windows power settings and I have it set to performance currently.

Well you are getting high GPU usage, so I don't think you have a bottleneck anywhere. There are a couple of spots where the usage drops, I don't know if that was the result of you minimizing the game or hitting a loading screen or if that happened in the middle of gameplay. As for performance, what resolution are you running at? What sort of storage device is your game stored on eg. HDD, SSD? You might also want to check to make sure your RAM is running in dual channel. If you have a single RAM stick or have two RAM sticks installed in separate memory channels that can hurt performance.

Apr 26, 2020
Well you are getting high GPU usage, so I don't think you have a bottleneck anywhere. There are a couple of spots where the usage drops, I don't know if that was the result of you minimizing the game or hitting a loading screen or if that happened in the middle of gameplay. As for performance, what resolution are you running at? What sort of storage device is your game stored on eg. HDD, SSD? You might also want to check to make sure your RAM is running in dual channel. If you have a single RAM stick or have two RAM sticks installed in separate memory channels that can hurt performance.
Running 2560 x 1440, performance seems to go up a bit when I turn my GPU fan up, I have two sticks of RAM, not sure what you mean by separate memory channels or running it in dual channel. My SSD filled up a while back so I am running on my 2 TB HDD currently. What seems very off to me is the performance in a simple game like Minecraft.

Running 2560 x 1440, performance seems to go up a bit when I turn my GPU fan up, I have two sticks of RAM, not sure what you mean by separate memory channels or running it in dual channel. My SSD filled up a while back so I am running on my 2 TB HDD currently. What seems very off to me is the performance in a simple game like Minecraft.

Turning up the fan on the GPU means you're getting higher boost clocks. I've found that a lot of the time the standard fan profiles on many cards err too heavily on the quiet side and you tend to get lowered boost clocks or even thermal throttling as a result, so I usually use a more aggressive fan curve to maximize those boost clocks.

If two sticks of RAM aren't installed correctly, eg. put into two slots right next to each other on a 4 slot motherboard, then you don't enable dual channel and only get half the memory bandwidth, and that can hurt performance in some games. You can use a program like CPU-Z to double check this if you don't want to physically open your PC.

A mechanical hard drive can cause some stuttering issues in certain open world games that need to stream in assets, though for most games using one only results in slower loading times.

Do you have any mods installed in Minecraft? Some mods can make the game much, much more demanding than it is in the stock configuration and bring even higher end systems to their knees.

Apr 26, 2020
Turning up the fan on the GPU means you're getting higher boost clocks. I've found that a lot of the time the standard fan profiles on many cards err too heavily on the quiet side and you tend to get lowered boost clocks or even thermal throttling as a result, so I usually use a more aggressive fan curve to maximize those boost clocks.

If two sticks of RAM aren't installed correctly, eg. put into two slots right next to each other on a 4 slot motherboard, then you don't enable dual channel and only get half the memory bandwidth, and that can hurt performance in some games. You can use a program like CPU-Z to double check this if you don't want to physically open your PC.

A mechanical hard drive can cause some stuttering issues in certain open world games that need to stream in assets, though for most games using one only results in slower loading times.

Do you have any mods installed in Minecraft? Some mods can make the game much, much more demanding than it is in the stock configuration and bring even higher end systems to their knees.
I see that my RAM sticks have one slot in the middle, so it goes |-| (if u can understand), and only thing installed in Minecraft was a shader a optifine, so I switched to basic Minecraft and I still had a little less than 100 frames and a lot less when turning. It just really makes me confused about how this computer which is pretty beefy is getting these stuttering issues and frame drops when I know people with less powerful pc's getting way better frames w similar res.

I see that my RAM sticks have one slot in the middle, so it goes |-| (if u can understand), and only thing installed in Minecraft was a shader a optifine, so I switched to basic Minecraft and I still had a little less than 100 frames and a lot less when turning. It just really makes me confused about how this computer which is pretty beefy is getting these stuttering issues and frame drops when I know people with less powerful pc's getting way better frames w similar res.

Hmm, if your framerate is dropping when you are doing inputs I wonder if you're having a software problem related to that. What mouse and keyboard do you have and do they include any additional software to control things like RGB lighting or macros? If you do have such extra software, maybe try turning it off and see what happens.

There are also some game engines that don't play nice with Logitech peripherals and require specific fixes to deal with performance problems, I'm not sure if Minecraft is one of those though.

As for your RAM, that configuration is correct for dual channel.

Apr 26, 2020
Hmm, if your framerate is dropping when you are doing inputs I wonder if you're having a software problem related to that. What mouse and keyboard do you have and do they include any additional software to control things like RGB lighting or macros? If you do have such extra software, maybe try turning it off and see what happens.

There are also some game engines that don't play nice with Logitech peripherals and require specific fixes to deal with performance problems, I'm not sure if Minecraft is one of those though.

As for your RAM, that configuration is correct for dual channel.
I have a Razer blackwidow, ducky mini, Razer mouse, and logitech g433 headset, but I can't imagine those being a problem. I understand how people have problems with Logitech, but I have a hunch something like this has to do with a ton of RAM being used whenever I do anything, whether it be a system thing I have no clue, but I have tried allocating more RAM to Minecraft with minimal Improvement. I did the regedit method, etc, but still no improvement. Is it have to do with the i7? Is there a flaw? Thx for the help by the way means a lot, I've been searching for like 2 years trying to figure this thing out.

I have a Razer blackwidow, ducky mini, Razer mouse, and logitech g433 headset, but I can't imagine those being a problem. I understand how people have problems with Logitech, but I have a hunch something like this has to do with a ton of RAM being used whenever I do anything, whether it be a system thing I have no clue, but I have tried allocating more RAM to Minecraft with minimal Improvement. I did the regedit method, etc, but still no improvement. Is it have to do with the i7? Is there a flaw? Thx for the help by the way means a lot, I've been searching for like 2 years trying to figure this thing out.

There probably is some sort of background process that is causing trouble, eating up CPU or GPU time. Do you run anything else while gaming? Web browser, video streaming apps, media players, etc? As alluded to before, RGB control software can sometimes cause issues, I personally occasionally have problems with Asus Aura Sync eating up lots of CPU time and that can cause stuttering an inconsistent frametimes on some games unless I disable it.

Hardware wise I think everything is fine, so this is probably a software issue. You may want to try to disable as much background stuff as possible then try running the game and see what your performance is.

Apr 26, 2020
There probably is some sort of background process that is causing trouble, eating up CPU or GPU time. Do you run anything else while gaming? Web browser, video streaming apps, media players, etc? As alluded to before, RGB control software can sometimes cause issues, I personally occasionally have problems with Asus Aura Sync eating up lots of CPU time and that can cause stuttering an inconsistent frametimes on some games unless I disable it.

Hardware wise I think everything is fine, so this is probably a software issue. You may want to try to disable as much background stuff as possible then try running the game and see what your performance is.
Nothing else running while gaming, turned off all RGB control when in-game and seems to have little impact rn, but to be honest, I am running around 144 fps rn in cod mw which is what I've been playing recently, and with a 144hz monitor that's all I really need, yet it still irks me that it is just barely at 144 w an i7 and 1080 ti.

Nothing else running while gaming, turned off all RGB control when in-game and seems to have little impact rn, but to be honest, I am running around 144 fps rn in cod mw which is what I've been playing recently, and with a 144hz monitor that's all I really need, yet it still irks me that it is just barely at 144 w an i7 and 1080 ti.

If you're talking about the new Modern Warfare and are running at 1440p, then 144FPS is about where I'd expect performance to be. If you want framerates higher than that you'd have to drop settings or resolution, or get a faster GPU. 1440p 144Hz is still fairly demanding almost equivalent to trying to push 4K 60FPS, the 1080Ti isn't going to do that perfectly on some newer AAA titles without compromises.

Shay Green

Prominent
Feb 17, 2020
Hey, by any chance do you have medal installed which you use for clips?