Question Monitor repeatedly wakes from standby mode, how do I fix that ?

CrimsonKnight98

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2015
I've had this issue for months (maybe longer). I'm not sure when it started, but here's what happens:

My monitor will go into standby mode, after 3-7 minutes (no set amount of time) it will wake from standby, display nothing on the screen for a second (a black screen), then it will turn back off, and show DisplayPort in the top right corner before fulling going back into standby mode.
For a time after replacing my DisplayPort cable I noticed the monitor would only do this wake cycle every other time the monitor went to sleep. It's very inconsistent, sometimes now it will wake after an hour, other times it starts within a few minutes of standby mode, and sometimes it doesn't seem to wake at all.

Any help or insight would be so greatly appreciated! This has been driving me nuts for months!!

I've tried:
Clean booting Windows
Booting into Safe mode
Running Windows update
Updating BIOS (was running latest BIOS already)
Updating drivers as listed on ASUS' website
Running an Energy Trace which showed my GPU was causing the system to wake up (energy trace link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JNVVLei1l_jLvuIv3-AAu6Pfad14eShp/view?usp=sharing)
Installing latest GPU Drivers
Clean uninstalling GPU Drivers using Display Driver Uninstaller and reinstalling fresh
Clean uninstalling and then flashing OLD display drivers from 2022
Switching DisplayPort cables (twice); first new one was DisplayPort 1.2, most recent is 1.4, which I should have been using all along.
Switching to integrated GPU (problem goes away)
Removing and reseating GPU
CMD sfc /scannow (errors found and repaired; ran multiple times to be sure)

Specs:
CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6950XT (XFX Speedster MERC319)
Motherboard: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI 6E (BIOS 2613)
RAM: G.SKILL Flare X5 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000 (Model F5-6000J3038F16GX2-FX5)
PSU: Corsair RM1000x Shift
Monitor: LG 27GL83A-B

Windows Details:
Edition: Windows 10 Home
Version: 22H2
Installed on: 4/‎30/‎2023
OS build: 19045.4651
Experience: Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19060.1000.0

Last edited:

AsadP2012

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2013
Because you switch to integrated and it works fine, I think your GPU is the issue.
It's an issue in the sense that, the GPU is causing the inconsistencies you're mentioning, but it still functions as normal.

This happened to me when I had a Gigabyte 3070Ti.

When I put the computer to sleep on the LATEST driver, it would wake up almost soon after I put it to sleep but also would not let me use the PC as it would black screen until force restart.

Restoring the driver back to the factory defaults (from the Manufacturer's website) made this problem go away entirely. Updated the driver from NVIDIA, back to square one.

I'm now on a 3080 and can put my PC to sleep and wake it up with no issues. The screen will not suddenly turn on when I least expect it whilst it's asleep (although, this can also be a process in the background causing it to wake up)

My assumption at this point would most likely be the GPU causing it.