Question Monitor shows artifacts for a couple minutes then works perfectly fine.

angryturtle1337

Prominent
Aug 29, 2019
I have an AOC AG272FG4 which has started to show artifacts like this and this, the image also becomes choppy and unresponsive but only what it's displayed not the pc itself. It started happening right after a power outage, wires leading up to my house burned, and happens somewhat consistently every time I boot my pc (it stopped for about two weeks then came back), it beings happening after windows is fully booted and goes away after 2 or 3 minutes. I've both recorded and taken screenshots while it was happening and it doesn't show any of the artifacts which leads me to believe its not the graphics card (also I have a second monitor and nothing happens on it). The monitor is plugged into a surge protector, which is shared with my pc. Once it goes away it doesn't happen again until my monitor has been turned off for a couple of hours.

It only happens when the Low Latency option in the monitor's setting is turned on and with a DisplayPort cable, it is also worth noting that the monitor's menu is also affected by the artifacts. Also it has recently gotten considerably worse as there are now black spots appearing and lasts longer.

I have three theories on the issue:

1. The DP cable is faulty and its causing the artifacts, but I don't think that would affect the monitor's menu.
  2. Power outage damaged the monitor somehow.
  3. Not enough voltage is being supplied to the monitor.

I would appreciate any help on this issue as I've had no luck anywhere else and haven't found anyone with a similar issue.

Can you get a menu image on screen when not plugged in to the gpu? If you can see if it happens when not plugged in to your gpu. Also try replacing the cable. You should keep track of how long it takes to go away. If the time starts to get longer and longer I would suspect it is the hardware in the monitor.

angryturtle1337

Prominent
Aug 29, 2019
Can you get a menu image on screen when not plugged in to the gpu? If you can see if it happens when not plugged in to your gpu. Also try replacing the cable. You should keep track of how long it takes to go away. If the time starts to get longer and longer I would suspect it is the hardware in the monitor.

No, I cannot access the interface while the monitor isn't plugged into my GPU, both input selection and settings don't appear. I've tried using a different cable, HDMI instead of DP, and the artifacts don't appear but it's limited to 60hz. I couldn't exactly say its duration has gotten longer but it definitely shows more apparent and bigger artifacts, including the black spots in between vertical lines.

I'm beginning to think its the DP cable but what makes me doubt it its the fact that it happened right after a power outage and that the DP cable works fine if I disable low input lag mode.

No, I cannot access the interface while the monitor isn't plugged into my GPU, both input selection and settings don't appear. I've tried using a different cable, HDMI instead of DP, and the artifacts don't appear but it's limited to 60hz. I couldn't exactly say its duration has gotten longer but it definitely shows more apparent and bigger artifacts, including the black spots in between vertical lines.

I'm beginning to think its the DP cable but what makes me doubt it its the fact that it happened right after a power outage and that the DP cable works fine if I disable low input lag mode.
Try uninstalling then reinstalling your gpu drivers. And then try a different dp cable.

angryturtle1337

Prominent
Aug 29, 2019
Having the same issue. I too have and Nvidia GPU (RTX3070) and AOC monitor. Have you fixed it by any chance?
I haven't found a solution but a work around. Change your refresh rate to 120hz on nvidia control panel, that should stop the artifacts when the pc has just booted and you'll be able to select 144hz inside most games anyway.

The cause of the issue is, at least in my case, bad electrical wiring with no grounding in my house.

Jan 13, 2021
I haven't found a solution but a work around. Change your refresh rate to 120hz on nvidia control panel, that should stop the artifacts when the pc has just booted and you'll be able to select 144hz inside most games anyway.

The cause of the issue is, at least in my case, bad electrical wiring with no grounding in my house.
How can this be caused by bad electrical wiring? wouldn't pc just not boot up or something along those lines? All of this started happening after a power outage.

angryturtle1337

Prominent
Aug 29, 2019
How can this be caused by bad electrical wiring? wouldn't pc just not boot up or something along those lines? All of this started happening after a power outage.
I don't know to be honest, I'm no electrician but the artifacts only happen when my pc it's plugged into one of the outlets in my house, it doesn't happen anywhere else and it just so happens that my house electrical wiring is at least 40 years old with no sort of grounding.