[SOLVED] Mouse started smoking out of nowhere? Power surge notification.. should I be worried?

Miskr

Honorable
Feb 20, 2014
So I have had my computer for over 6 years, upgrading different components throughout the 6 years.

I was sitting at my computer watching YouTube videos today and my mouse started disconnecting, and suddenly started producing smoke (from the wire just above the mouse).

I also got a notification on windows saying something along the lines of POWER SURGE USB PORT. (I started panicking so didn't really read it)

Should I be worried about my PC in general? It has been running on the same components without any issues for >2 years at this point. I've plugged a new mouse in and it is working as usual.

Mouse was a razer taipan which I bought atleast 6 years ago which is definitely fried now.

Cheers

Solution
And I will add that it is probably a good time to power down, unplug, open the case and inspect everything very carefully.

Inspect just for precautionary measures and general maintenance requirements.

Use a bright flashlight and magnifying glass.

There could be other burned/melted wires or components.

Reseat all connectors, cards, RAMs, jumpers. Blow out dust and debris.

Ensure that airflows are not blocked. No other kinked, bent, crunched cables or components.

6 year old PC - keep an eye on the PSU.

If you have upgraded to more power hungry components but have not increased PSU wattage then there may be further troubles.

Ralston18

Titan
And I will add that it is probably a good time to power down, unplug, open the case and inspect everything very carefully.

Inspect just for precautionary measures and general maintenance requirements.

Use a bright flashlight and magnifying glass.

There could be other burned/melted wires or components.

Reseat all connectors, cards, RAMs, jumpers. Blow out dust and debris.

Ensure that airflows are not blocked. No other kinked, bent, crunched cables or components.

6 year old PC - keep an eye on the PSU.

If you have upgraded to more power hungry components but have not increased PSU wattage then there may be further troubles.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS