[SOLVED] Moving cloned SSD from Acer computer to another computer.

jsholydiver

Honorable
Jul 1, 2017
TLDR: I've replaced almost all my stock Acer parts with upgrades. Literally everything will be different than what came with my computer, will my SSD that has everything Acer put in it work fine, or do I need to buy Windows 10 and wipe my SSD clean and start from scratch?

Since buying my Acer Aspire 281-ur-11 in 2018 I have started upgrading it. I've upgraded to 16GB ram from 8gb, a 1050 to a 1660 Super, this week I'm going from a Ryzen 5 1400 to a Ryzen 7 1700x (Best my motherboard can support) and I've already upgraded from a 1TB HDD to a 1TB SSD. eventually I'm wanting to upgrade my PSU and motherboard and put it all in a better case. Current Acer case is running out of room to fit everything. I'm not sure if after I get everything in it, if my SSD will work properly, as in run all the different parts, booting up with a completely new motherboard no associated with acer. It has all the acer programs and what not on it, and the windows OS that came with the machine.

This might be a silly question, but I want to do my due diligence now before I get everything together and find out I have a problem later

Solution
With a new motherboard and old drive+OS, there are 3 possible outcomes:
  1. It works just fine
  2. It fails compeltely
  3. It "works", but you're chasing issues for weeks/months.
I've seen all 3 Increasingly, #3 is becoing the most frequent.
User initially reports ""Success!" After a little while..."hmmm, maybe not so much."

A fresh OS install is by far the preferred way to go.
The GPU upgrade may need the graphics drivers clean installed.

Replacing the motherboard will probably work but may have minor glitches. A clean OS install is recommended on motherboard changes.

A motherboard change will generally require a new Windows license from OEM systems. Certain programs may need to be deactivated first. On the old install and motherboard. Most won’t. But you’d want to check any paid programs.

jsholydiver

Honorable
Jul 1, 2017
A clone is no different that moving the original physical drive.

Different motherboard indicates a fresh OS install.
Just swapping the motherboard etc....you WILL have issues.

And possibly a new Win 10 license.

Regarding the license...is the current license linked to an MS account?
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

That's pretty much what I was looking for as far as answer goes. I've never swapped Motherboards so I didn't know what to expect from that, the License isn't linked to an MS account I don't believe, but I have no problem buying a license if thats what I need to do. I just didn't want to get everything put in sitting here with a stupid grin on my face waiting for the computer to boot just to find out that I needed to do other things for it to work properly. all of this is likely months if not a year away as the rest of my upgrades should keep me happy for a while. Thank you for your prompt reply :)

USAFRet

Titan
With a new motherboard and old drive+OS, there are 3 possible outcomes:
  1. It works just fine
  2. It fails compeltely
  3. It "works", but you're chasing issues for weeks/months.
I've seen all 3 Increasingly, #3 is becoing the most frequent.
User initially reports ""Success!" After a little while..."hmmm, maybe not so much."

A fresh OS install is by far the preferred way to go.

Solution