Jun 7, 2020
I just built a PC with the following:
  • MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
  • Ryzen 7 3800x
  • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super
  • G.Skill Ripjaws 4x 8GB DDR4
  • Corsair RM750
I've tried two different CPUs in this (Ryzen 7 3700x and 3800x), took everything apart and put it back together three times, tried starting with just one stick of RAM, and ran it for two hours last night. It always comes back with the red CPU light. My monitor won't connect to my computer and it seems my keyboard and mouse won't either, so even if it went through BIOS, I can't really control anything? I found a thread recently where someone fixed this issue on a different MSI mobo by using a PS/2 keyboard and going through BIOS by hitting delete. My issue is finding a PS/2 keyboard or adapter; I'll have to wait a few days to have either delivered.

Should I try this or just go for a different mobo?
(Trying to grab ASUS ROG Strix B450-F but it seems every AMD mobo is sold out everywhere.)

Solution
Hmm that makes it harder.

Have a look here and sub links on tips and see if anything there helps.

You definitely have the Max version yeah? Max is compatible with 3rd gen out of the box but not the older non Max board.

It's hard to say about the Asus board, it may need a bios update.

X570 Asus Tuf or Gigabyte Aorus Pro/Elite might be choices? These boards are known for high quality VRMs.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Could be the mobo but first, we'll just go through a check list.

CPU 12v power cable is connected, both motherboard and PSU if modular.

There are no bent CPU pins

Motherboard correctly on standoffs in case

Ram seated properly

And video cable connected to the GPU (probably is, no offence, just sometimes some people make this mistake)

Jun 7, 2020
Could be the mobo but first, we'll just go through a check list.

CPU 12v power cable is connected, both motherboard and PSU if modular.

There are no bent CPU pins

Motherboard correctly on standoffs in case

Ram seated properly

And video cable connected to the GPU (probably is, no offence, just sometimes some people make this mistake)

Yep, all of that is good!

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Hmm that makes it harder.

Have a look here and sub links on tips and see if anything there helps.

You definitely have the Max version yeah? Max is compatible with 3rd gen out of the box but not the older non Max board.

It's hard to say about the Asus board, it may need a bios update.

X570 Asus Tuf or Gigabyte Aorus Pro/Elite might be choices? These boards are known for high quality VRMs.

Reactions: blamepenny
Solution
Jun 7, 2020
Yep, definitely the Max. Thanks for the link, will definitely try! If it doesn't work, I may just go for one of the two you mentioned, I've been looking at those two anyway.