dverdier

Prominent
Dec 10, 2022
I've never built a pc before but over the last few months I've been upgrading what I have. Two of which are pretty old. The i3 2 series I put an i7 in but with 2nd gen and somehow upon beating the password it upgraded to win10 by itself and killed what little performance it had. I got that free from a church I was working at. They were gonna throw it out and I thought I could do something with it. This is why I had to beat the password. I just can't get it back to win 7. Then I have a p6 pavilion w/ a holly 2 I threw an amd 3080k in and that is like my home server. It works great but it's not keeping up with higher quality video passed 1080p. I also upgraded my inspiron 17-3780 with the fastest i7-8565u board that I could find. I wish you could swap procs in a laptop without changing the whole board. You're so limited. Any way the p6 is going to be replaced with this new build. While I play games, I'm not a big gamer. What I went looking for was longevity here. I'm going to post a cut out of the screenshot from pcpartpicker.com. I bet all you serious enthusiasts hate it when guys like me use these sites but while I've been working with computers since childhood, I really never got inside them until recently and not verses in all the compatibility nuance. It's also a little late as I've received everything and about to start building soon, but I'd like some opinions that I wish I had thought to ask for sooner. Did I go horribly wrong and waste a ton of money, could I have spent the same and came away with better quality? Is there anything else I should still do and so on. Any feedback at all will be appr. Pls and thx in advance.

P.S. I tried to upload a screen shot. Tried converting to pdf to word and excel. No dice. Had to take the long way. Here you go:

CPU AMD Ryzen 9 7950X 4.5 GHz 16-Core Price-$574.00
CPU Cooler Corsair iCUE H150i ELITE CAPELLIX 75 Price-$169.99
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 AORUS PRO AX ATX Price-$254.99
Memory G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 64 GB (2 x 32GB) Price-$409.99 X2
DDR5-6400 CL32 Memory 128GB Total
Storage Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 Price-$99.99
PCle 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive
Storage Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 Price-$178.50
PCle 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive
Storage PNY CS900 2 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive Price-$113.34
Video Card Gigabyte EAGLE Radeon RX 6700 XT 12 Price-$419.99
Case Fractal Design Pop XL Air ATX Full Tower Price-$119.99
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P3 1000 W 80+ Price-$234.99
Optical Drive Pioneer BDR-209DBK Blu-Ray/DVD/CDRW Price-$109.95
OS Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM-DVD 64-bit Price-$139.88
Total-$3235.59

Last edited by a moderator:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Do you have a use for 128GB of memory? You are going to have trouble getting all of that to run at 6400, if at all. Even buying them at the same time doesn't guarantee that all four sticks will work well together, and 6400 is a quite high overclock. Be prepared to have to run these at a lower speed if you want all the capacity. Otherwise return one set.

I would have gone with a 2TB PCIe 4.0 drive, rather than a 1 and 2 TB PCIe 3.0 drive, saving that slot for something like a 4TB drive when they get a little cheaper.

Power supply is oversized for a 6700XT, could have saved about $100 right there with something like an 850W Gold.

You should consider Windows 11 for a new build.

These days I use external optical drives rather than having them in the computer. Saves the space and they shouldn't see much use.

dverdier

Prominent
Dec 10, 2022
I do not have use for that much now. Like I said, longevity. I appr the warning tho. I was not aware it would be an issue. I almost bought the 4.0 drives but the price was a bit too much I thought at the time. I've never spent more than like 7 or 800 on a pc before and that is the aforementioned laptop that I use for my daily stuff at the moment. I believe that I have 3 M.2 slots. I'm about to start building it here soon. I overshot the psu because I'm not sure how my gpu will do over time. It's crossfire and I think it's called sli compatible. I may add one down the road to operate in tandem. Lastly, the optical will not get much use but the case is waaaay bigger than I expected. I prob should've shaved some more money there and went with a mid sized tower. Thank you for your thoughts. I appr your time.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I do not have use for that much now. Like I said, longevity. I appr the warning tho. I was not aware it would be an issue. I almost bought the 4.0 drives but the price was a bit too much I thought at the time. I've never spent more than like 7 or 800 on a pc before and that is the aforementioned laptop that I use for my daily stuff at the moment. I believe that I have 3 M.2 slots. I'm about to start building it here soon. I overshot the psu because I'm not sure how my gpu will do over time. It's crossfire and I think it's called sli compatible. I may add one down the road to operate in tandem. Lastly, the optical will not get much use but the case is waaaay bigger than I expected. I prob should've shaved some more money there and went with a mid sized tower. Thank you for your thoughts. I appr your time.

SLI and Crossfire aren't relevant anymore. Those technologies only apply to older cards. Nvidia stopped support SLI with the RTX3090 and RTX3090Ti. No RTX40 series card supports it.
Crossfire was last used on the RX 500 series and the RX Vega series. Neither the 5000, 6000, or 7000 series GPUs support it.

Largest GPU right now can pull 450W stock and about 525W overclocked. Then your 1000W PSU makes sense, but even then you aren't likely to buy those cards. They are almost half what you have paid in total.

Doesn't mean you can't plug a whole bunch of GPUs into your system for non-gaming purposes though. Rendering and Deep Learning still benefit from multi-GPU, but not SLI/Crossfire.

You picked out a pretty inexpensive full tower, I wouldn't worry too much about that. Plenty of mid towers that are more expensive.

dverdier

Prominent
Dec 10, 2022
SLI and Crossfire aren't relevant anymore. Those technologies only apply to older cards. Nvidia stopped support SLI with the RTX3090 and RTX3090Ti. No RTX40 series card supports it.
Crossfire was last used on the RX 500 series and the RX Vega series. Neither the 5000, 6000, or 7000 series GPUs support it.

Largest GPU right now can pull 450W stock and about 525W overclocked. Then your 1000W PSU makes sense, but even then you aren't likely to buy those cards. They are almost half what you have paid in total.

Doesn't mean you can't plug a whole bunch of GPUs into your system for non-gaming purposes though. Rendering and Deep Learning still benefit from multi-GPU, but not SLI/Crossfire.

You picked out a pretty inexpensive full tower, I wouldn't worry too much about that. Plenty of mid towers that are more expensive.
I'm thinking of adding another gpu down the road. I haven't looked into it much. Didn't know that was old tech. Thx for that and no I will not be buying anything over 500 more than likely.

dverdier

Prominent
Dec 10, 2022
If that's the case we can knock some money off that build. One last question ... what is your resolution that you play at?
This is all pretty new. My last computer in this place barely pulled off cod ghosts. I have inspiron with an i78565u and amd 520. I was able to get ghostbusters spirits to run on that dropping everything down to the bottom and that was a task let me tell you. Before very recently I kept my gaming to a ps4 pro. I really can't answer your question yet as I haven't got this one fully set up yet. I'll do whatever it lets me do I guess. I have it running and most things loaded. I still have to cable manage and throw the doors on. I'm also going to add a couple more fans. One thing I've been totally stuck on is my bt. It says windows stopped it code 43. Again not being a pc gamer I need to use a ps4 controller with bt and ds4. The bt is driving me nuts tho. I'm a few hours into it. Unistalling, reinstalling, searching for drivers. Every time I reinstall it shows in the devman just fine for about 20 seconds then the yellow triangle from hell appears and shows me code 43. Do you have any ideas. A bt dongle gave me tons of trouble on my last pc but after finding the right driver it was fine. Nowhere near as bad as this.