Question My i7-11700KF runs hot at idle and even hotter when under load.

Ferrariassassin

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2014
My i7-11700KF always stays at 50c minimum when im not playing or doing anything at idle and when i go to any game it usually stays between 95-105c at all times even when just 15% of the CPU is being used in a game. When i run Prime95 it goes to 100c automatically and stays there but the CPU usage keeps jumping from 20% to 100% every 1 second over and over.

My CPU is also always running at 4.9GHz at ALL TIMES no matter what i am doing it is always at that speed on all cores.

The Cooler im using is a NH-D15S with two noctua fans that came with it. Both fans are at 100%. I also have a few other Noctua fans that are 3000RPM and i have to keep them at 100% even though they are SOOO LOUD but its the only way i can stay at 95c when gaming because it goes past 105f if they are not at 100%.
I have already tried reapplying thermal paste 4 times and with different brands and it gets the same results no matter what.

Should i just trash this awful CPU? Its brand new and only has like 100 hours of use and never been overclocked.

Last edited:

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
My i7-11700KF always stays at 50f minimum when im not playing or doing anything at idle and when i go to any game it usually stays between 95-105f at all times even when just 15% of the CPU is being used in a game. When i run Prime95 it goes to 100F automatically and stays there but the CPU usage keeps jumping from 20% to 100% every 1 second over and over.

My CPU is also always running at 4.9GHz at ALL TIMES no matter what i am doing it is always at that speed on all cores.

The Cooler im using is a NH-D15S with two noctua fans that came with it. Both fans are at 100%. I also have a few other Noctua fans that are 3000RPM and i have to keep them at 100% even though they are SOOO LOUD but its the only way i can stay at 95f when gaming because it goes past 105f if they are not at 100%.
I have already tried reapplying thermal paste 4 times and with different brands and it gets the same results no matter what.

Should i just trash this awful CPU? Its brand new and only has like 100 hours of use and never been overclocked.
Please use C Celsius not F.
50F is like 10C

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
My i7-11700KF always stays at 50c minimum when im not playing or doing anything at idle and when i go to any game it usually stays between 95-105c at all times even when just 15% of the CPU is being used in a game. When i run Prime95 it goes to 100c automatically and stays there but the CPU usage keeps jumping from 20% to 100% every 1 second over and over.

The Cooler im using is a NH-D15S with two noctua fans that came with it. Both fans are at 100%. I also have a few other Noctua fans that are 3000RPM and i have to keep them at 100% even though they are SOOO LOUD but its the only way i can stay at 95c when gaming because it goes past 105f if they are not at 100%.

Has it always been this way?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
So trash the motherboard and get a new one that dont apply auto overclocks or?
This is an option: go into bios and turn off Easy Tune's(the board's OC software) OC(if present). Then, instead of the 4096w turbo boost power limit, set it to 250w, which is the Intel default for the cpu. If 250w is still too much, then lower it some more, perhaps 20w or so.

All the board vendors are guilty of OC presets in their boards. It's part of their e-peen contest in trying to make their product look better, but the end user gets the short stick as a result. We buy Z boards because we want the option to twink the cpu at our choosing. We don't need the vendors doing it for us.

There's so many models and the end user gets no kind of heads up about it(if OC is present or not). Usually, the cheapest boards aren't running such presets, but that's not a guarantee, and that's problematic for other reasons.
So yeah, not much point in trying for another board.