Question My keyboard's alpha & numeric keys stop working intermittently ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DualRevolvers

Honorable
May 28, 2016
I have a Corsair k70 Cherry MX Red that I've been using for 6 years. Recently, the Letter & number keys, including the numpad, stop working all of a sudden for a while, then start working again, seemingly at random times. Every other key works on the keyboard, including when I do stuff like ctrl + C. I've tried uninstalling & reinstalling the drivers and messing with the keyboard settings like sticky keys, filter keys, & the delays. Nothing works except rebooting the whole PC, but that's annoying to have to do every time this happens. What is happening and how can I fix it?

My Specs:
  • Windows 10 Pro
  • i7-6850k
  • Strix X99 Mobo
  • 64gb RAM
  • GTX 1080ti
  • 850watt PSU

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Try running the built in Windows troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Also "sfc /scannow" and "dism" may fix something.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

Fix Windows Update errors via DISM or System Update Readiness tool - Windows Server | Microsoft Docs

Try another known working keyboard on your computer.

Try your Corsair k70 on another known working computer.

Determine if the keyboard problems stay with your computer or follow the keyboard.

Being 6 years old, the keyboard may be reaching or already past its' designed in EOL (End of Life).

DualRevolvers

Honorable
May 28, 2016
Thank you for the reply and the advice. I updated my Post with specs. Troubleshooters couldn't find anything, but I'll give scannow & dism a try. Gotta go find my old keyboard and give that a try, too.

DualRevolvers

Honorable
May 28, 2016
Scannow & dism both ran successfully and it is still happening. I plugged in another keyboard and it happens on that one, too. So I assume it's not a keyboard issue. I also noticed that If I click on certain search bars on webpages, it starts working on those but not on the address bar of the browser in windows. If I click & type in the search bar of this site then click back to windows or something else it starts working again. Very weird stuff.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2021
I am having this exact issue too, with an Logitech keyboard. It's really frustrating!
I suspect an installed application or update is interfering with it.

@DualRevolvers - did you come to a solution for this?

Recently installed software on my machine:
  • TeamViewer
  • Kaspersky Internet Security
  • Update KB5007186
  • Update KB5006365
Windows 10 20H2 (build 19042.1348)

Oct 11, 2022
I've been having the same problem, I suspect it's related to Google Chrome because most of the time when it happened I was typing in a search bar or typing field of a website.

But I found a stopgap solution when alphanumeric keys stop working, I go to the Google Calendar on Chrome, click to create a new event, then the keys work again.

The issue doesn't affect the virtual keyboard

Lenovo Y530
Windows 10 21H2 (build 19044.2006)

Status
Not open for further replies.