[SOLVED] My PSU is Enough?

Jul 25, 2020
Hi! I bought a RX 570 8GB video card, and I have many doubts and fears about my PSU, which is:

fetch

My PC has: Ram 8gb Ddr3 1333mhz
One Hard Disk Drive
One SSD
Motherboard Gigabyte Ga-z97m-d3h Intel 4 Lga 1150
Intel I5 4570 3,2 Ghz
And the gpu RX 570 Gv-rx570gaming-8gd 8gb

1-Can my PC be damaged if the PSU does not resist this new GPU?

2-Do I need a source with 30A in the 12v lane or more?

3-Or the GPU may not get its full potential because of the weak PSU?

Thanks!!

Solution
That psu is absolute garbage. It only has 20A on the 12v rail, that’s 240w. A good quality 300w psu would have better than that. This psu isn’t even really 300w. You ideally want a good quality 550w.

Trying to use you current psu could lead to psu failure and possible damage to other components including the gpu.
That psu is absolute garbage. It only has 20A on the 12v rail, that’s 240w. A good quality 300w psu would have better than that. This psu isn’t even really 300w. You ideally want a good quality 550w.

Trying to use you current psu could lead to psu failure and possible damage to other components including the gpu.

Solution

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
:sweatsmile: Okay guys thanks very much!
So 40A at 12V rail would work fine? (As minimum?) The other rails don't matter that much, do they?
What is your budget I will find you a good 500 or 550w PSU from a reputable company. Thank goodness you didn't try powering up with that garbage PSU lol as said above it could blow up your components and what not.

Jul 25, 2020
hahahaha yeah, I was patient and didn't allow myself to try it.

Well,
My resources are very limited, I am from Argentina and the video card cost me a whole month's salary

.. the "Sentey Xcp630-ts 630w" should be fine?
it is 75% efficient

+12V1 (A) 40 A
+12V1 (W) 480W
+3.3V (A) 22 A
+5V (A) 22 A
+3.3V & +5V (W) 120 W
+5VSB (A) 2 A
+5VSB (W) 10 W

Ziadul87

Reputable
BANNED
.. the "Sentey Xcp630-ts 630w" should be fine?
I don't think so. The efficiency doesn't matter. What matters is the quality of the components used. That sentey is actually 480W yet they rate it as 630W. This alone proves that Sentey isn't trustable.
Anyway, give us your budget. That'll help use find a good PSU for you.(Not necessarily pricey)
That PSU is not safe.(easily understandable from the Price)
You should spend like 40-50$ for a PSU to be safe. Guessing from the Sentey unit's price, I think you don't have much to spend. Good quality units might be out of your reach(?)

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Riotoro has a decent reputation down South, their Enigma is Seasonic platform/partnership.

Sentey only ever labeled 1 psu line, the 'Jumper' series, that was pretty good. Every other line is garbage.

You are going to find that most of the 'cheap' psus (doesn't matter what country) will try to dazzle you with big numbers, bling, fancy sounding titles and explanations of benefits, all of which don't add up to being worth the paper they are printed on. Your fancy sounding BP600 with 240w claim on 12v,Sentey 630w with a claimed 480w, both built on a cheap, ancient platform that won't supply usually more than 50% power output.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f6snWfd1v7M

There's a reason ppl stress Quality psu, the label needs to match the claim.

If a Doctor told you that you need a new heart if you want to be alive next week, and offered you a choice, $50k for a 80yr old, obese chainsmoker donor or $150k for a 20yr old, athletic non-smoking vegetarian, would you honestly take more than a second to decide? Would the price tag even be a consideration? Now ask your pc the same question. Quality psu with plenty of protective circuitry and excellent stable voltage outputs, or the cheaper poj that might blowup or catch fire or has such crappy outputs that even Windows won't remain stable.

Your choice.

Last edited:
Problem with Argentina is they have a safety certification (IRAM) and they don't atually certify anything. You just pay the government to allow your product to be sold in their country. Add to that that Argentina has its own power cord vs. the rest of the world.

It's essentially a "private club" to sell PSUs in Argentina. Like Russia, but much smaller.

You'll note that the only "safety" mark on the OP's picture of the PSU is the Argentina "safety" mark and no others.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2020
I don't think so. The efficiency doesn't matter. What matters is the quality of the components used. That sentey is actually 480W yet they rate it as 630W. This alone proves that Sentey isn't trustable.
Anyway, give us your budget. That'll help use find a good PSU for you.(Not necessarily pricey)
That PSU is not safe.(easily understandable from the Price)
You should spend like 40-50$ for a PSU to be safe. Guessing from the Sentey unit's price, I think you don't have much to spend. Good quality units might be out of your reach(?)
Yes, that sentey is 480w which is what I need, this video card asks along with the whole system: 450w, I had this sentey for 5 years with the gtx 750ti, 8 ram, etc, it never gave me any problem, I can't afford to buy a Corsair or evga because They cost more than all my salary and the economic situation in my country is so pathetic that every day the prices rise because our currency is devaluing at a rapid rate.
Let's say my budget is 70 dollars, like 38% of all my salary, yes, that's how unfortunate the situation is here, but it could go up to 80 dollars.

well, thank you very much for all the answers!

Ziadul87

Reputable
BANNED
Yes, that sentey is 480w which is what I need, this video card asks along with the whole system: 450w, I had this sentey for 5 years with the gtx 750ti, 8 ram, etc, it never gave me any problem, I can't afford to buy a Corsair or evga because They cost more than all my salary and the economic situation in my country is so pathetic that every day the prices rise because our currency is devaluing at a rapid rate.
Let's say my budget is 70 dollars, like 38% of all my salary, yes, that's how unfortunate the situation is here, but it could go up to 80 dollars.

well, thank you very much for all the answers!
There are no Sentey PSUs available in my region. So, I can't say how good or bad they are. BUT that unit almost surely lacks enough protection(Good PSUs almost always come with proper wattage rating). And the longer your usage the higher the chances of PSU failure. 7 years usage = time to change. I wouldn't risk it. How about getting a Corsair VS450 (Grey Label)? It is REALLY CHEAP and probably the cheapest PSU I'd trust for another couple of years.
The reason gtx750 ti ran well is that 750ti only uses ~60w resulting in your system using around 170-180W under load. Almost any PSU can take care of that. BUT, Rx570 uses almost 3 times more power. Your system will try to draw more power than your PSU can manage.

Last edited:

Ziadul87

Reputable
BANNED
RX 570 is a very power-hungry GPU.(At least enough to drive your PSU to it's limits. 240W is too low. You might even face random restarts while playing high end games on max settings.
Even systems running GTX 1650(only 75w GPU) easily exceeds 200W.
While under load your PSU is HIGHLY LIKELY to die out. Without enough protections, it might take one or two things along with it.
Don't risk it.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/11278/amd-radeon-rx-580-rx-570-review/16
Look at this, Rx570 system reaches ~290watts under load(Sapphire Nitro+ reaching 320W margin). Even if your PSU doesn't die, it still won't provide enough power resulting in sudden crashes and restarts.

Jul 25, 2020
There are no Sentey PSUs available in my region. So, I can't say how good or bad they are. BUT that unit almost surely lacks enough protection(Good PSUs almost always come with proper wattage rating). And the longer your usage the higher the chances of PSU failure. 7 years usage = time to change. I wouldn't risk it. How about getting a Corsair VS450 (Grey Label)? It is REALLY CHEAP and probably the cheapest PSU I'd trust for another couple of years.
Ahh ok, I found it! It is a little out of my budget but I could buy it

how about thremaltake tr2 500w, it has a dual v12 rial (12v1 18A and 12v2 17A)

I also found a Corsair CX550M used for 16 months at a good price, what do you think, is a used one (of this brand) worth it? Thank you!

Ziadul87

Reputable
BANNED
Ahh ok, I found it! It is a little out of my budget but I could buy it

how about thremaltake tr2 500w, it has a dual v12 rial (12v1 18A and 12v2 17A)

I also found a Corsair CX550M used for 16 months at a good price, what do you think, is a used one (of this brand) worth it? Thank you!
If the used is in perfect state(no damage done), I'd definitely opt for a CX550 unit (Grey label).(note that it isn't CX550M, avoid the "M")
If it says 550w, then there's no need to worroy. But if it says 500w or something, and the CX is written in green color, avoid it
[WATCH OUT FOR GREEN LABEL CX/CXM SERIES PSUs]

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
If you watch the video, look at the rated power vrs what power the psu died at. Rated 480w doesn't mean you'll get 480w. They all died at around 300w. The Sentey units are the same type of psu, made by some of the same people.

The gtx750ti is 75w, the Rx570 can hit 270w by itself. Add in 100w for cpu and 100w for everything else and you are FAR beyond anything close to 300w.

Rx570 pc minimum is 500w, with general recommendations of 550w because there aren't really any good 500w psus. Gtx750ti pc minimum is 350w recommended. Very big difference.

Buy the Sentey if you feel like it. When it blows up and you wasted your money, you have no one else to blame.

99% of the people you see responding to posts are not paid employees. We do not get compensated in the slightest way for saying one brand over another. We don't work for Tom's or affiliates, we don't get paid by sponsors, it's 100% voluntary time and effort to respond. There are some few whom are paid, somehow, but even then they are very careful not to be biased, most not even mentioning brand names or taking sides.

So trust me when I tell you that the people here have your best interests at heart, they want to see you happy and enthusiastic about your pc experience, your future happiness is their only reward.

If you have to mow lawns, water plants, get a 3rd job or a 4th to pay for a better psu, then do so because buying that Sentey unit with that gpu is a one way ticket to a dead pc. It's just a matter of time. It will happen.

There aren't any Green label CX 550w that I can remember, but it's far superior to anything Thermaltake brands at those price points, including the TR2 series.

Reactions: Ziadul87
Jul 25, 2020
If you watch the video, look at the rated power vrs what power the psu died at. Rated 480w doesn't mean you'll get 480w. They all died at around 300w. The Sentey units are the same type of psu, made by some of the same people.

The gtx750ti is 75w, the Rx570 can hit 270w by itself. Add in 100w for cpu and 100w for everything else and you are FAR beyond anything close to 300w.

Rx570 pc minimum is 500w, with general recommendations of 550w because there aren't really any good 500w psus. Gtx750ti pc minimum is 350w recommended. Very big difference.

Buy the Sentey if you feel like it. When it blows up and you wasted your money, you have no one else to blame.

99% of the people you see responding to posts are not paid employees. We do not get compensated in the slightest way for saying one brand over another. We don't work for Tom's or affiliates, we don't get paid by sponsors, it's 100% voluntary time and effort to respond. There are some few whom are paid, somehow, but even then they are very careful not to be biased, most not even mentioning brand names or taking sides.

So trust me when I tell you that the people here have your best interests at heart, they want to see you happy and enthusiastic about your pc experience, your future happiness is their only reward.

If you have to mow lawns, water plants, get a 3rd job or a 4th to pay for a better psu, then do so because buying that Sentey unit with that gpu is a one way ticket to a dead pc. It's just a matter of time. It will happen.

There aren't any Green label CX 550w that I can remember, but it's far superior to anything Thermaltake brands at those price points, including the TR2 series.

Okay my friend I understood, very well explained, thanks you very much, for the moment I will have saved the rx until I can buy something of quality, I am not so crazy as to connect the RX with the weak PSU that I have now, I was asking for the other sentey, which I leave video , I am not an expert like you people but it seemed to me a bit of quality, at least about 450w real it seemed to have

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMauOLGm_PI&t=3s

I didn't find the Riotoro brand in the online market of my country, there is not much variety here because of how closed we are to the world

I will try to buy something with 500 or 550 real watts as you say

Thanks you

Edit: I found an Redragon 500wRpgs Gc-ps001 80 Plus Bronze! New, it costs almost double that sentey "630" but cheaper than a Corsair and Evga

85% efficiency and reliable and well-known brand :)

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2020
Oh! there is very little price difference between 500 and 600wts

You even looked for a better one in mercado libre, not even my friends helped me as much as you guys

Thanks again

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
For some reason, that one shows up as 16k, there's the same one shown twice more, one at 20k and one at 21k, yet look to be the same unit.

I don't speak Portuguese or Spanish, so googling 'Fuente atx 600w' at Mercado Libre was how I found that.

Jul 25, 2020
For some reason, that one shows up as 16k, there's the same one shown twice more, one at 20k and one at 21k, yet look to be the same unit.

I don't speak Portuguese or Spanish, so googling 'Fuente atx 600w' at Mercado Libre was how I found that.
Yeah, one with interest-"free" payments but it's more expensive so it's the same, and the other one that is cheaper, is to buy it with a single payment, and there are also others that recently raised the price.
That's why the prices of the same psu are so uneven.

haaha okay you're great man thanks you