Question My RTX 3080 does not work on any 600 series motherboards ?

Aug 24, 2022
Please keep it to 1 thread.
Can't get my RTX 3080 FE to work on any Asus Rog 600 series motherboards

I can't seem to get a display output from my RTX 3080 when it's connected to any Asus 600 series motherboard.

I've tried the GPU on three motherboards so far:
  1. Asus ROG Strix B660i gaming wifi (Doesn't work)
  2. An Asus Z690 motherboard (Doesn't work)
  3. An MSI Asrock Z390 (Works)
But older GPUs seem to work perfectly on my B660i mobo, got a gt730 working perfectly.

Here's what I've tried so far:

1. Tried resetting the CMOS and plugging both the HDMI and DP cables into the GPU ports
  2. Downgraded Windows 11 to 10
  3. Downgraded the bios version to earliest released bios.
  4. Got a GT730 and confirmed the motherboard is fine. Enabled CSM using the GPU (you can't enable CSM with integrated graphics) then reinstalled the rtx 3080
  5. Tried setting PCIe speeds to gen 3 and 4
  6. Tried updating the GPU with the display Id vbios update (it says it's already been updated)
  7. Tried using Linux, to see if it would get detected on another OS

Specs of my pc

Intel 12700k

64GB DDR5 5200mhz

Nvidia RTX 3080 FE

850w power supply

Anyone have any ideas about this ?

Aug 24, 2022
Need help diagnosing an issue with my motherboard.

My PC Specs:
  • Intel 12700k
  • 64GB DDR5 @5200mhz
  • Nvidia RTX 3080 FE
  • 850w power supply
  • Asus ROG Strix B660I Gaming WiFi
Tried diagnosing the issue, on three motherboards, I'm not getting any display output on two of them, both of which are Asus 600 series motherboards. It POSTS correctly on integrated graphics, but once i plug the HDMI or Display Port cables to the gpu ports, it shows a white light (indicating VGA not detected).

Strangely enough, I know the GPU is working because it is detected on a MSI z390 motherboard.
Here are screenshots of my bios:
View: https://imgur.com/a/TLGCsY

I also know the motherboard's PCIE slot works because a GT730 works perfectly on it.

Please help me exhaust all possible options. I'll be giving $100 via paypal to the person that helps me solve this issue, Since if i end up going the RMA path, i'll be spending alot more money replacing and shipping it back.

Here's some more details in my previous post

Some things to try -

Updating to the latest BIOS on motherboard.
Disabling components (like wifi) and not having any M.2 or SATA drives plugged in. I remember reading about some ITX boards sharing PCI resources with the PCIe slot. Go minimal boot - no drives, 1 DIMM, and the GPU. Goal is to at least be able to get into BIOS.
Make sure you are selecting the discrete GPU as your primary.
Borrow a second monitor to see if it's just looking for primary onboard at first. (does the second one eventually light up during WIndows install)

I remember finding a really good video about some RTX boards not working with some motherboards due to a GPU firmware - motherboard BIOS incompatibility. I'll see if I can find the video.

Aug 24, 2022
Some things to try -

Updating to the latest BIOS on motherboard.
Disabling components (like wifi) and not having any M.2 or SATA drives plugged in. I remember reading about some ITX boards sharing PCI resources with the PCIe slot. Go minimal boot - no drives, 1 DIMM, and the GPU. Goal is to at least be able to get into BIOS.
Make sure you are selecting the discrete GPU as your primary.
Borrow a second monitor to see if it's just looking for primary onboard at first. (does the second one eventually light up during WIndows install)

I remember finding a really good video about some RTX boards not working with some motherboards due to a GPU firmware - motherboard BIOS incompatibility. I'll see if I can find the video.
Thanks, will try this and get back to you

Oct 28, 2022
I have the same problem
my equipment

i7 12700
Asus ROG b660i Gaming
2x16GB Kingston Fury DDR5 5200
Seasonic 650W Power Supply
LG 38GN950-B monitor

I tested RX6600 graphics cards, GT710 are working fine
the system starts up, detects video cards and displays the image correctly

after connecting KFA2 RTX 3060 12GB it gets VGA error
1 long beep and 3 short beeps

I've tried everything
this is probably a bug with ASUS motherboards

has anyone managed to solve this problem? This is already my 2nd ASUS motherboard and every time some problems :( never again from this brand