Question New build reboots as soon as it tries to boot to OS ?

Jul 12, 2024
This is my spec list:

MBD: MSI B550M PRO VDH WiFi (bought in Amazon Warehouse)
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X (bought used)
GPU: XFX RX 6600 XT (used)
RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB DDR4 3600MHz CL18 (used but still under warranty, bought 5 months ago)
PSU: NZXT C750 Gold (New)

Trying to boot to an OS results in the PC rebooting with the DRAM led blinking for a fraction of a second. I can access the BIOS just fine, but when trying to boot to an OS that's where troubles begin:

- Windows 11 installer: as soon as the boot spinner appears, the PC reboots after a few seconds

- Memtest 86: test went fine twice for around 50% or 60% progress then the PC randomly rebooted

- OpenSUSE Tumbleweed installer: I can navigate the GRUB menu just fine 90% of the time. When I try to boot the live CD or the GUI installer that's when the PC reboots. In all my dozens of attempts with this OS I only managed to see the GUI once for like a few seconds, before getting a reboot.

I tried both the latest BETA and non-BETA version of the BIOS.

I've disabled Secure Boot. I've tried all different permutations of 1 or 2 RAMs across the 4 slots. I've moved the motherboard out of the case, I've followed all the possible tips on the stickied post thatm I've tried a different GPU but could not try different RAM, CPU or Motherboard.

I can refund the motherboard easily since it's from Amazon but I'd like to know what - in your opinion - could be the main culprit?

Thanks in advance

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Out of curiosity, where did you source the installer for your Windows OS?

Best stick to one BIOS version and the latest version at that. Reflash with the latest version listed here;
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B550M-PRO-VDH-WIFI/support
then clear the CMOS.

Which slots are the rams populating on the board? They should ideally be on slots A2 and B2. Might want to make sure that they as well as all other parts/connectors are fully/properly seated.

You might want to see if your friend has a B550 motherboard or a B450 motherboard, with the right BIOS version) to drop your processor onto and see if the issue persists, that would tell you the CPU's at fault.

kanewolf

Titan
This is my spec list:

- CPU Ryzen 5 5600x (bought used)
- MSI B550M PRO VDH WiFi (bought in Amazon Warehouse)
- Ram 2x8 Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB DDR4 3600MHz CL18 (Used but still under warranty, bought 5 months ago)
- PSU NZXT C750 Gold (New)
- GPU XFX RX 6600 XT (Used)

Trying to boot to an OS results in the PC rebooting with the DRAM led blinking for a fraction of a second. I can access the BIOS just fine, but when trying to boot to an OS that's where troubles begin:

- Windows 11 installer: as soon as the boot spinner appears, the PC reboots after a few seconds

- Memtest 86: test went fine twice for around 50% or 60% progress then the PC randomly rebooted

- OpenSUSE tumbleweed installer: I can navigate the GRUB menu just fine 90% of the time. When I try to boot the live CD or the GUI installer that's when the PC reboots. In all my dozens of attempts with this OS I only managed to see the GUI once for like a few seconds, before getting a reboot.

I've disabled Secure Boot. I've tried all different permutations of 1 or 2 RAMs across the 4 slots. I've moved the motherboard out of the case, I've followed all the possible tips on the stickied post thatm I've tried a different GPU but could not try different RAM, CPU or Motherboard.

I can refund the motherboard easily since it's from Amazon but I'd like to know what - in your opinion - could be the main culprit. Thanks in advance
I would start with 4 to 8 hours of MEMTEST -- https://www.memtest86.com/ This will verify if you have a stable motherboard.
If there are ZERO errors after multiple hours of testing, then you can move on. If you get errors, then you have a problem.

Jul 12, 2024
Thank you for your answers.

Welcome
to the forums, newcomer!
Thank you!
Out of curiosity, where did you source the installer for your Windows OS?
From the original media creator from Microsoft.
Best stick to one BIOS version and the latest version at that. Reflash with the latest version listed here;
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B550M-PRO-VDH-WIFI/support
then clear the CMOS.
By "latest" you mean the beta or non-beta? I've tried both and then cleared the CMOS twice. Right now I'm using the non-beta, but I may try to stick with the beta tomorrow.

One small doubt I have now is whether resetting the CMOS by removing the small battery is equivalent to shorting the two pins nearby. I've always done the latter.

Which slots are the rams populating on the board? They should ideally be on slots A2 and B2. Might want to make sure that they as well as all other parts/connectors are fully/properly seated.
I usually use the second and fourth slot, but I've tried almost all the positions. I've also tried using just both the RAM stick individually. I've pressed them firmly and double checked.

You might want to see if your friend has a B550 motherboard or a B450 motherboard, with the right BIOS version) to drop your processor onto and see if the issue persists, that would tell you the CPU's at fault.
It's unlikely, but I might try it as a very last resort

I would start with 4 to 8 hours of MEMTEST -- https://www.memtest86.com/ This will verify if you have a stable motherboard.
If there are ZERO errors after multiple hours of testing, then you can move on. If you get errors, then you have a problem.

Point is, system randomly reboots even during Memtest. During a nomal run it takes way less than one hour to reboot, I've already tried twice and might try again tomorrow

Jul 12, 2024
Small update for my new attempts

- I flashed the latest BIOS (the beta)
- I resetted the CMOS using both the methods (battery and jumper)
- I power cycled
- I disabled Secure Boot
- I tried Memtest86 for around 20 times. Reboots always occured after a few minutes or even after seconds.
- I tried skipping tests but it was kind of irrelevant
- I tried bisecting the number of CPUs to use but the result was the same
- I tried using just one core by setting it from the BIOS, but the result was the same

I've never seen any error in all my attempts. Just rebooting with the DRAM led flashing for just a fraction of a second.

I think I'll just refund the motherboard and get a new one, as it's the only thing I can do at the moment.

Last edited: