zeekman12345

Honorable
Feb 22, 2016
Built a new pc for Christmas but it’s overheating and completely shutting off I did put small amounts of thermal paste on the cpu need a lot of help my specs are rtx 3080ti i9 12900k 32gb of ddr5 ram mobo is a msi mpg z690 carbon Wi-Fi case is a msi mpg gungnir 100d mid tower cpu cooling a noctua nh-u12a chroma black it doesn’t give me any blue screens just shuts off

Solution
do you have both 8 pin cpu connectors attached?

i would suggest installing "core temp" app. it will show you your temp for each core and for the cpu as a whole. if this shows your cpus are over heating then you will need to check the paste on the cpu, see if it spread evenly and covered the cpu.. if your case can take one, you would probably be better of with a 240/360mm AIO..

also if your power supply is modular. and has a 3rd Pci-e cable you should use it instead of daisy chaining with 2 cables, this can cause some shuts downs due to over heating..

steveb1976

Reputable
Oct 4, 2020
do you have both 8 pin cpu connectors attached?

i would suggest installing "core temp" app. it will show you your temp for each core and for the cpu as a whole. if this shows your cpus are over heating then you will need to check the paste on the cpu, see if it spread evenly and covered the cpu.. if your case can take one, you would probably be better of with a 240/360mm AIO..

also if your power supply is modular. and has a 3rd Pci-e cable you should use it instead of daisy chaining with 2 cables, this can cause some shuts downs due to over heating..

Solution