devgamez

Prominent
Sep 18, 2018
Hey guys, I have looked EVERYWHERE for answers to my issue, or someone with the same problem and have been unsuccessful. Basically I have windows installed, fully updated on my SSD. I have been able to boot in properly and use my computer as normal (I just built it yesterday). Now for some odd reason, only sometimes when I go to boot my computer it doesn't detect the SSD and windows doesn't boot. It says to restart the computer with a device that has the OS or something to that effect. I go into BIOS, and my SSD isn't there (randomly) as a boot option and only shows the HDD I have in there. I've tried turning off my PC and letting it sit for a few minutes and it still doesn't detect it when I boot it back up. I even tried unplugging my whole PC, going inside and fiddling with the SSD to make sure its plugged it, and I know it is because its glowing with the RGB. Sometimes when I go into the BIOS it will finally show the SSD as the top boot option, so I press F10 to save and exit and it still says I need to have something with the OS in it and to restart the PC with it plugged in. Can someone please help me, this is bothering me so much and its very frustrating :(.

Update: I did update the bios, and as of today, I can’t get it to boot up AT ALL. Just keeps taking me to the same black screen, then to bios when i restart it. I even unscrewed the SSD, took it out, put it back in and nothing. I unplugged the HDD as well to see if that would do anything, but it didn’t.

Solution
When you install Windows it is recommended to only connected the disk where Windows will be installed and then... when you are done installing Windows and it is working properly then add any other disks.
That will prevent Windows installation from copying installation files to any other disks.
I suggest you remove the HDD, and just leave the SSD connected to the system and install Windows again.
Make sure to :
Click on the Custom: Install Windows only (Advanced) option.
Select and delete all partitions on the SSD. Until you are left with Drive 0 Unallocated Space
Select the empty drive (Drive 0 Unallocated Space) and click the Next button.
The setup will proceed with a fresh installation of Windows 10.
When you install Windows it is recommended to only connected the disk where Windows will be installed and then... when you are done installing Windows and it is working properly then add any other disks.
That will prevent Windows installation from copying installation files to any other disks.
I suggest you remove the HDD, and just leave the SSD connected to the system and install Windows again.
Make sure to :
Select and delete all partitions on the SSD. Until you are left with Drive 0 Unallocated Space

Solution

devgamez

Prominent
Sep 18, 2018
Make sure to :
Okay I’m going to attempt that, now for some reason, the bios is being weird again and not even detecting the SSD at all? It seems random

devgamez

Prominent
Sep 18, 2018
Make sure to :
So I attempted this and it says: We couldn’t install Windows in the location you chose. Please check your media drive. Here’s more info about what happened: 0x80070057

devgamez

Prominent
Sep 18, 2018
So I attempted this and it says: We couldn’t install Windows in the location you chose. Please check your media drive. Here’s more info about what happened: 0x80070057
If it helps any, the m.2 SSD I am using is the XPG S40G 1TB and I saw in a review that it’s apparently not compatible with ASUS mobo?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
There's another potential issue we can help you check. On some mobos, one or both SSD sockets also share resources with one of the SATA ports, and you cannot use both at the same time. So, post back here your mobo maker and exact model number so we can look up its manual and see if we can find something to help.

devgamez

Prominent
Sep 18, 2018
There's another potential issue we can help you check. On some mobos, one or both SSD sockets also share resources with one of the SATA ports, and you cannot use both at the same time. So, post back here your mobo maker and exact model number so we can look up its manual and see if we can find something to help.
I have the Asus X570 Tuf Gaming Plus WiFi. But I went at it ALL day yesterday, and i decided to just return the SSD and I’m going to get a 2.5 inch Samsung SSD. Thank you guys for trying to help