[SOLVED] New / First build - CPU Overheating message in BIOS

Jun 10, 2020
I just finished my new build with the following specs

CPU: i5 9600k

GPU: MSI 2060 super 8GB

SSD: Samsung evo 970

MBD: MAG z390 Tomahawk

PSU: Corsair rm650x

I Have no cooler attatched to the CPU because I plan on purchasing and overclocking in the future, but not right now. I assumed that by leaving the CPU in its factory setting I would not have issues with the cooling. However as soon as I boot into the BIOS, it says my CPU temperature is at 100 degress celsius. This does not make sense to me since the computer has not even been working for a full minute before this happens. Any help?

Jun 10, 2020
You cannot use a CPU without a cooler. Period.

Buy one and leave the PC off until then.

Never never never never turn PC on without a CPU cooler!

I was under the impression that cooling was not needed unless I plan to overclock the CPU... Sorry guys I am entirely new to this thing. In that case, which coolers would you recommned for a light to medium overclock?

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I was under the impression that cooling was not needed unless I plan to overclock the CPU... Sorry guys I am entirely new to this thing. In that case, which coolers would you recommned for a light to medium overclock?
Nope you Must use a cooler.

No biggie being new to building everybody was at one time. You need to leave the PC alone till you get a cooler.

It must fit inside the case so you need to list that to get a correct answer. And list the memory your using as it must have clearance for that and what country would be helpfull to get the best for the price.

Links for the memory and case works if your not sure of the exact ones.

Jun 10, 2020
Nope you Must use a cooler.

No biggie being new to building everybody was at one time. You need to leave the PC alone till you get a cooler.

It must fit inside the case so you need to list that to get a correct answer. And list the memory your using as it must have clearance for that and what country would be helpfull to get the best for the price.

Links for the memory and case works if your not sure of the exact ones.

Thank for your reply! This is my build:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KZxkrV

CPU: Intel Core i5-9600K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard: MSI MAG Z390 TOMAHAWK ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB GAMING X Video Card
Case: NZXT H510 Elite ATX Mid Tower Case

On this basis, I am between two coolers after a bit of research: First the Kraken X42. I really like the aesthetics and love how this would look in my case, even though I am aware I could get more bang for my buck.

Alternatively I would be looking to get the absolute bare minimum in terms of cooling, since I do not plan to overclock for now. And after I have saved up some money I would go for (maybe) an even better NZXT cooler like the Kraken X63.

Are there any other recommendations you guys can make?

TRENDING THREADS