Question New gpu, green screen, flickering? (Rx 580)

Jun 29, 2019
I recently bought an RX 580 as well as a new power supply, and upon my first test of them both in the computer, I noticed the screen is at a different resolution. I’m assuming that’s nothing new for every new graphics card and is fixable with a few clicks once everything’s situated, but something I wasn’t expecting to see at all was the monitor at the home screen where I enter my password to be super saturated and have green lines and streaks going horizontally across the entire screen, sort of flickering in and out. When I got to the desktop, the same thing was happening, The whole screen seems basically yellow-greenish, and the horizontal green streaks I suppose could be described as the sideways version of The Matrix green programming <Mod Edit>, except if it filled almost every pixel and every frame it flickered just slightly.

Is it me? (Probably) Is it the GPU? Is it the power supply? Is it the monitor? I have no idea. I don’t think it’s the power supply because i’ve had no problems with that and I don’t think it’s my monitor because it’s been fantastic all the time I’ve had my computer, but you all know more than I do. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

(P.S. If I sound stupid, it’s probably because I am. I’m the Michael Scott of computers. I had somebody else install)

Last edited by a moderator:
Are your graphics drivers "up to date" (by this I actually mean adrenaline version 19.10.2, which is the latest driver set which seems to be completely stable.). Make sure your chipset and bios are also up to date. And make sure if you update or roll back drivers, you use DDU to uninstall old graphics drivers.

Can you also provide pictures of the graphical artifacts? It may be a dying card.

Jun 29, 2019
Are your graphics drivers "up to date" (by this I actually mean adrenaline version 19.10.2, which is the latest driver set which seems to be completely stable.). Make sure your chipset and bios are also up to date. And make sure if you update or roll back drivers, you use DDU to uninstall old graphics drivers.

Can you also provide pictures of the graphical artifacts? It may be a dying card.

I haven’t actually updated the graphics drivers yet for my new card. I went through all the standard procedures of uninstalling your previous card, one of them of course being uninstalling the graphics card drivers. And I haven’t done it yet because as far as I’ve seen on websites like MSI’s installation instructions, it seems to come after the step where you just make sure that, well, you don’t get “matrix screened” or anything. Should I do that real quick?

Also, sorry in advance for this question because I’m not lying when I say I’m stupid.......what is the chipset and bios? If that’s too dumb of a question to unpack, maybe just the link to my computer could help? Everything except the original gpu and psu are still in there https://www.amazon.com/CYBERPOWERPC-GUA3120CPG-Desktop-FX-6300-Keyboard/dp/B07BHRRMDV/ref=sr_1_15?qid=1582344843&refinements=p_89:CyberpowerPC&s=pc&sr=1-15

Finally, I’m sure there’s a much easier way for me to share a video on mobile but it’s getting late and I’ve been exhausted from stressing about the whole situation, so I created a whole throwaway instagram account simply to post the videos.Here they are
Sorry it’s low quality and you can’t see the entire screen at once, I wanted to just quickly get footage then turn the computer off. I feel like it’d be bad for the computer

One more apology for being stupid. Thanks for helping me out right now

Jun 29, 2019

if those videos I shared are too poor quality for you to make a fair assessment I can go film it again and try to make it clearer

Definitely download graphics drivers. As I said, get adrenaline version 19.10.2 from AMD's website (Not the latest, but the most stable), and make sure the drivers are for the RX 580.
Chipset basically manages all connections to IO and some PCIe, along with drives. Messed up chipset drivers can cause issues with other components.
BIOS is what initializes your hardware when you turn on your PC. Keeping your bios up to date ensures that your motherboard is compatible with newer components.
Use HWInfo64 to find your motherboard model, then go online to the manufacturer website and to the page for your motherboard. BIOS and chipset drivers should be in the downloads section.

It doesn't look like the kind of artifacting that is caused by a damaged GPU, but if updating drivers doesn't get it fixed, I suggest running a graphics stress test to see if your GPU is broken.

Jun 29, 2019
Definitely download graphics drivers. As I said, get adrenaline version 19.10.2 from AMD's website (Not the latest, but the most stable), and make sure the drivers are for the RX 580.
Chipset basically manages all connections to IO and some PCIe, along with drives. Messed up chipset drivers can cause issues with other components.
BIOS is what initializes your hardware when you turn on your PC. Keeping your bios up to date ensures that your motherboard is compatible with newer components.
Use HWInfo64 to find your motherboard model, then go online to the manufacturer website and to the page for your motherboard. BIOS and chipset drivers should be in the downloads section.

It doesn't look like the kind of artifacting that is caused by a damaged GPU, but if updating drivers doesn't get it fixed, I suggest running a graphics stress test to see if your GPU is broken.
I’m currently downloading the driver you suggested, and I’m hoping this pop-up is normal:
“Input Signal Out Of Range!
Current Mode: H = 68.0kHz V = 80Hz
Change Mode to 1920 x 1080 - 80Hz”

There was a warning on the website before I downloaded the driver stating that the screen may flicker for a long period of time while downloading and that it’s totally normal, but I sort of doubt this is what it was referring to. It will flash this pop-up every 5-10 seconds before the screen becomes black again

It also confuses me because I just set the screen resolution to 1920 x 1080, my normal resolution, before downloading the driver

I’m currently downloading the driver you suggested, and I’m hoping this pop-up is normal:

There was a warning on the website before I downloaded the driver stating that the screen may flicker for a long period of time while downloading and that it’s totally normal, but I sort of doubt this is what it was referring to. It will flash this pop-up every 5-10 seconds before the screen becomes black again

It also confuses me because I just set the screen resolution to 1920 x 1080, my normal resolution, before downloading the driver
Hmm... That's strange. It's referring to H sync and V sync. What is your monitor, and which display output are you using for it?

Jun 29, 2019
Hmm... That's strange. It's referring to H sync and V sync. What is your monitor, and which display output are you using for it?
So sorry for replying late, I didn’t get a notification of your reply for some reason. My monitor is this one. And if I know what display output means then I use an HDMI and a VGA. I don’t know if it takes this long to download, but the blackness and intermittent pop-ups are still happening

Jun 29, 2019
Would it be safe for me to just shut the computer off and go to bed? it’s almost past midnight where I am and I’ve been in the process of downloading for around two hours, but I don’t want to just try and snag an extra hour or two of sleep if it meant me messing up my computer forever.

I’m also starting to think you’re asleep because who wouldn’t be right now? If so, sorry

Would it be safe for me to just shut the computer off and go to bed? it’s almost past midnight where I am and I’ve been in the process of downloading for around two hours, but I don’t want to just try and snag an extra hour or two of sleep if it meant me messing up my computer forever.

I’m also starting to think you’re asleep because who wouldn’t be right now? If so, sorry
Sorry I was asleep. I hope you went to sleep too lol. Anyways are you using a VGA cable or an HDMI cable?

Shay Green

Prominent
Feb 17, 2020

My 580 makes my screen flicker when updating drivers but only takes a couple of minutes before the full install is done

Jun 29, 2019
Sorry I was asleep. I hope you went to sleep too lol. Anyways are you using a VGA cable or an HDMI cable?
Yeah, a little bit after I said that I just turned it off and went to sleep. Hope you slept well btw because you’ve been helping me out a lot. I was confused for a second because both the VGA and HDMI were plugged in on my monitor but it uses the HDMI cable.

Yeah, a little bit after I said that I just turned it off and went to sleep. Hope you slept well btw because you’ve been helping me out a lot. I was confused for a second because both the VGA and HDMI were plugged in on my monitor but it uses the HDMI cable.
I'm honestly not very sure on this. Unplug the VGA first I guess. Make sure both hardware and software are running 1080p.

Jun 29, 2019
I'm honestly not very sure on this. Unplug the VGA first I guess. Make sure both hardware and software are running 1080p.
Okay, sorry for not saying anything for a while, but maybe this new info will help identify the issue? I just tried using my TV which I use for my Xbox 360 (and also have never had issues with) and have connected it to my computer, and like my actual monitor, it has a normal start at the beginning, then after the blue Windows screen it‘s just blank with “HDMI 1 1920 x 1080@60Hz” popping in and out; it does that every time I turn it on when I’m just playing on the Xbox 360, so that isn’t reason for concern. I think the problem isn’t the monitor or TV then given all that information, it HAS to do with the graphics card, right? I just have no idea what to do now. If you have no idea what it could be either, that’s fine. I’ll probably end up having to take it in somewhere anyways

Jun 29, 2019
Honestly, I'm clueless. Might be a faulty card, or port, I don't know. Sorry.
Ahhhhhh. The stupidity to end all stupidity. An era definer.

i just came to the realization, this morning, that the reason my graphics card had been having so much trouble and I couldn’t get it to work,
is i plugged everything into what I would call, “Not The Graphics Card.”

for god knows why, I didn’t take off the protective blue cap things on the graphics card because after trying to one (1) time, I couldn’t do it, so I totally stopped.

It’s fine though, got them all off and got everything plugged in and now my computer is my computer again

Thank you extreme_noob very much for all the help, you went out of your way and I appreciate that

Reactions: extreme_noob

virtual_jeff

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
Just an FYI: Another green screen issue I experienced was due to mixing monitor connections; 1 HDMI and 1 DisplayPort. For some reason, the HDMI would flicker and eventually go to green screen. I swapped out the cable, downloaded the latest drivers, reset the graphics card but no luck. Finally, I found another DisplayPort cable, connected it to the same monitor and problem solved.

TRENDING THREADS