Status
Not open for further replies.

JMusic7

Commendable
Mar 11, 2021
Hello, my newish PC doesn't recognize an older hard drive from a previous PC. The hard drive is a WD Blue 1TB drive. It's almost filled up. On my old PC, it works fine, it's not corrupted, but when I plugged it in to the current computer, Windows doesn't show it at all. If I go into Bios, same thing. I have 6 SATA ports on my motherboard, and I plugged the drive into the top right slot. I plugged it into two other ones before that and the drive didn't show up. The only two connectors are the SATA power cord and the SATA cord connecting to the motherboard. Am I doing something wrong? Do I need a fresh drive with no data on it for Windows to recognize it? Do I need to configure something in BIOS?

JMusic7

Commendable
Mar 11, 2021
I have a WD Blue 1TB hard drive from a previous PC I've used for many years. It's almost filled up. I want to use it in my current PC and transfer the data to my current M.2 SSD drive as well as my connected 6TB WD Mybook external hard drive. The hard drive works fine because it works in my old PC. I connected the SATA power and the motherboard connector to it. I have 6 ports on the side of my ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WIFI) motherboard, and I've tried two ports. SATA6G_1 (top left) and SATA6G_4 (middle right). Both ports don't show anything in BIOS. I've enabled hot plug I believe, for both. Still nothing. It can only boot from my M.2 SSD and also shows my WD MyBook external hard drive. My connectors are set to AHCI by default. I didn't switch to RAID mode. A friend of mine told me to just buy a powered hard drive case and connect it via USB-C and I'll be able to transfer all my data that way without actually installing it in my PC.

Am I doing something wrong? Should I just buy the hard drive case?

JMusic7

Commendable
Mar 11, 2021
Instructions are given in that link. Near the end of the article. The only thing not mentioned as a fix is to use strips of teflon tape (not black electrical tape) to mask off the offending pin on the drive side.
Could I retrieve my data using an external powered hard drive case with USB? Or is this the only way?

Status
Not open for further replies.