Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 11, 2019
So I just built my PC the other day. After installing windows, my graphics driver, and beginning to install/download other programs the PC screen froze on whatever picture I was on and my keyboard and mouse shut off. The led on all my pc parts are still on and the fans are still spinning, the only thing that changes is that there is a solid orange DRAM light on the mobo. I then force restarted the PC by turning the power switch off and on but after using the pc for awhile it would happen again. Every time it is the same, it boots up fast and fine, everything seems normal then it will randomly decide to freeze with the solid DRAM led anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes and my only option is to force reset by turning off the power.
I installed temperature monitoring software and that doesn’t seems to be an issue. When in bios my cursor is pretty laggy (doubt that helps but saw someone else mention this)
Specs:
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 Super
CORSAIR Vengence RGB PRO 16GB (2x8) 3600 MHz
ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus
EVGA 650 GQ
Samsung Evo 970 M.2 (500GB) + Pioneer 2.5” SATA (1TB)
Cooler Master MasterCase H500

Only my second build so not super experienced or knowledgeable but my first build never did this. I’ve seem other posts of similar probablems but it’s hard to find my specific instance, any help is appreciated!

Last edited:

kaehligj

Prominent
Mar 15, 2018
Asus motherboards and BIOS have a ram type detect feature, that will automatically start up, if it can not detect the ram type right away.

First off, go to ASUS website for the particular board type no you have.
Then under support find the QVL list for ram.
If your ram type (exactly as printed on the ram module) is not in list, you have a problem.

If you did any modifications in BIOS, try do a load default then save and restart.

Please note that RGB ram has a tendency to overheat alone on behalf of the LED's

Oct 11, 2019
Asus motherboards and BIOS have a ram type detect feature, that will automatically start up, if it can not detect the ram type right away.

First off, go to ASUS website for the particular board type no you have.
Then under support find the QVL list for ram.
If your ram type (exactly as printed on the ram module) is not in list, you have a problem.

If you did any modifications in BIOS, try do a load default then save and restart.

Please note that RGB ram has a tendency to overheat alone on behalf of the LED's
So I looked up the QVL and in “Memory_QVL_3rd_Gen_AMD_Ryzen_Processors_X570” I noticed that you were right, mine is a CMW16GX4M2D3600C and out of all the very similar Corsair ones I can’t seem to find this specific RAM. Does this mean this RAM is not compatible with this motherboard and I should get one that is one the QVL?

kaehligj

Prominent
Mar 15, 2018
The problem is, that it may be compatible, but the particular type has not been tested and qualified by the vendor.
You ran into a type that may be compatible, but unfortunately it is not.
Nothing you can do about it except hope for a future upgrade on the ASUS BIOS.

You will have to buy ram module types from the QVL.

The ones you have may be 5* modules for some other person with another mobo.
You may minimize your loss by throwing your ram on flee-Bay.

Oct 11, 2019
The problem is, that it may be compatible, but the particular type has not been tested and qualified by the vendor.
You ran into a type that may be compatible, but unfortunately it is not.
Nothing you can do about it except hope for a future upgrade on the ASUS BIOS.

You will have to buy ram module types from the QVL.

The ones you have may be 5* modules for some other person with another mobo.
You may minimize your loss by throwing your ram on flee-Bay.
Okay I just put my roommates RAM into my PC to test our theory and it seems to be working okay. EDIT: Just froze again so never mind.

I did notice one strange thing tho, my CPU temperatures at only ~5% load have been jumping from 50 to 60 and sometimes even 70 degrees.. that is not normal right? Also I tried a stress test and at 100% load it was in the high 80’s and at one point even got to 91 degrees. It seems to slowly creep down until the fan begins to slow then it shoots up 10 or more degrees within seconds. My last CPU never got this hot, especially under such a minimal load..

Also for the record I haven’t done any modifications with the bios, not sure how to do that or if I should do that.

Last edited:

kaehligj

Prominent
Mar 15, 2018
Set your cpu fan working mode to keep the cpu temp below 80°C.

Is your room mates pc fitted with EXACTLY the same mobo type ?
EXACTLY means same maker, same type number, even to the last letter.
If not - it makes no sense to you testing your ram in his PC.

Your comment makes me believe that you do not fully understand what a QVL listed component is.
It has nothing to do with bad components - or in your case - a possible bad ram.
Your ram will work 100% fine in any mobo which has this ram listed on its associated QVL.

It simply means your ram is NOT compatible with your roommates PC either.

Oct 11, 2019
Set your cpu fan working mode to keep the cpu temp below 80°C.

Is your room mates pc fitted with EXACTLY the same mobo type ?
EXACTLY means same maker, same type number, even to the last letter.
If not - it makes no sense to you testing your ram in his PC.

Your comment makes me believe that you do not fully understand what a QVL listed component is.
It has nothing to do with bad components - or in your case - a possible bad ram.
Your ram will work 100% fine in any mobo which has this ram listed on its associated QVL.

It simply means your ram is NOT compatible with your roommates PC either.
No I tested HIS ram in MY mobo. And it ended up freezeing again after ~30 minutes

Oct 11, 2019
It’s still going strong so far.

Assuming that the pc freezes again at some point in the next 30 mins, for hypothetical purposes, would that mean that the ram is probably not the issue? Maybe power supply, mobo, or voltage?

Assuming the pc never freezes and runs smoothly now, again for hypothetical purposes, would this mean I just got unlucky with my ram purchase and should buy new ram supported by the mobo (listed on the QVL)?

I’m surprised it matters so much. In what I’ve read, it seemed like whether or not the ram is listed on the QVL usually doesn’t really matter.

Last edited:

kaehligj

Prominent
Mar 15, 2018
I’m surprised it matters so much. In what I’ve read, it seemed like whether or not the ram is listed on the QVL usually doesn’t really matter.
Wrong, very wrong.
You must have been struck by luck until now, if you never had such a problem before.

For the assuming - lets wait and see and take it from there.

Oct 11, 2019
Still freezes regularly. QVL was not the problem.
Temperatures are fine. Ran stress tests on gpu, cpu, and ram with no problems.
Any other ideas?

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2019
If you lower the memory speed to the DDR4 default speed (2133), is the system stable?

Have you updated your motherboard BIOS?

Also, are you using the stock AMD Wraith heatsink?

If I remember correctly, lowering the memory speed to default didn't help but I can try it again just to make sure.

I honestly cant remember if I updated my bios. I think I have, but if not, how would I go about updating them?(I guess I could just look that up)

I am using a cooler master hyper 212 rgb black edition

Oct 11, 2019
Oct 11, 2019
Installed Ryzen Master and the temperatures are much more stable usually just below 40, slowly moving up and down 3 degrees each way at most. So I think it definitely is just the program. Thanks, that has been bugging me for awhile.

I will double check nothing is overclocked and if it continues to freeze I will try to update the BIO's. A little worried about messing something up but I will be able to figure it out.

Oct 11, 2019
BIOS have been updated, was a lot easier then I thought it would be.. Now time will only tell if the problem is fixed. Appreciate the help!

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2019
So after a good period of time using my PC, it started happening again. I've updated the BIOS again and it didn't seem to help. The problem happens very rarely (maybe once a week) but I its still enough to bother me, especially considering I am trying to sell my PC and I don't want to scam anyone.

For reference: I've reverted any overclocking in the BIOS and MSI Afterburner to the default settings which seemed to help when it first started happening again, but didn't fix the problem. I also noticed recently my PC was lagging quite a bit and when I checked some things, my PC's CPU wasn't operating at full power (not even close). A restart fixed the problem but I'm not sure if that happens regularly or what could have caused this.

Last I checked my BIOS are the most recent ones available. Any other ideas? PSU or motherboard problem?

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2019
Although very rarely, I've had times where I have noticed the GPU isn't operating at full power after checking from lag, fps has been much lower then it should be, and of course the dreaded freeze with RAM mobo light. (not all at the same time) A reset fixes it every time and the PC runs normal again. The only problem that makes the most sense now is maybe a PSU problem unless its the motherboard or CPU? I will be putting in a new PSU in hopes that it will fix the issue as people are trying to buy my PC and I don't want them to have any issues.

My own logic is that there is no way all these parts can be bad (CPU, GPU, RAM), and if they are working but not at the speed they should be sometimes then the best bet is the power unit. The only thing that is weird is that it seems random. Would it be possible for a PSU work fine most of the time and not every once and awhile? and would a reset even fix that type of thing? If not, that also makes me think maybe its the mobo? I really hope this fixes the issues but at this point it's really hard to figure out what the issue is. Literally any comment is welcomed.

Mar 8, 2020
This exact issue has just started happening to me, despite my PC running fine for the past 3 months. We have very similar builds - I have an ASUS PRIME X570-PRO, same Corsair Vengeance RGB kit as you (4x8GB at 3600 MHz).

The only thing I changed to cause this was that I updated my RAM firmware using iCUE to v1.02.64 a couple of days ago, so I'm putting it down to this. What version are you on?

I've emailed Corsair asking for an old version to flash back to.

Oct 11, 2019
My RAM firmware was v. 0.96.57 but I just updated it to 1.02.64. My iCUE software version was also just updated to 3.26.95.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.