Question No display on monitor, keyboard unresponsive

Aug 22, 2020
Hey guys.

so I have an issue that’s appeared out of nowhere and I’d appreciate some help in being able to trouble shoot where exactly the issue lies. My pc has been working fine for a year then today I went to use it and the display doesn’t work. It doesn’t work from both the GPU hdmi slot nor the motherboard one and the keyboards leds don’t respond to being plugged in to any USB slot The lights and fans are on but no one is home it seems.

I checked the monitor by plugging in an old laptop, absolutely fine. No issue with monitor or HDMI cable.

(I did all these about 5-10 mins apart so the PC was drained of power)

next I removed the ram and cleaned it, tried one ram, then two, different slots. Nada. Also cleaned the slots.

I removed the graphics card, tried just the mobo display. No cigar. I popped the GPU back in, made sure it was correct. Nothing.

i checked every wire to make sure it was plugged in properly. Yup all good. Took our and re plugged in to be safe. Nothing weird there.

i did the same with the modular PSU took everything out and re plugged it. Still nothing. I then moved the modular supplies to different holes to see if there was an issue with any specific output. Nope.

removed the CMOS battery for a minute and popped it back in.

tried booting with 4 pin and 8 bin connectors to the CPU nope

took the cpu out. No bent pins or damage that I could see. Put it back in.

I’m out of ideas at this point and have been unable to find any information other than what I’ve already tried. I don’t have any system sound so there’s no beeps.

I’m guessing it’s either the PSU or the motherboard but I’d like to find out which before I splash out £200 to replace both. Given they were purchased April 2019 I’m going to be if they broke.

Ferimer

Distinguished
Hey guys.

so I have an issue that’s appeared out of nowhere and I’d appreciate some help in being able to trouble shoot where exactly the issue lies. My pc has been working fine for a year then today I went to use it and the display doesn’t work. It doesn’t work from both the GPU hdmi slot nor the motherboard one and the keyboards leds don’t respond to being plugged in to any USB slot The lights and fans are on but no one is home it seems.

I checked the monitor by plugging in an old laptop, absolutely fine. No issue with monitor or HDMI cable.

(I did all these about 5-10 mins apart so the PC was drained of power)

next I removed the ram and cleaned it, tried one ram, then two, different slots. Nada. Also cleaned the slots.

I removed the graphics card, tried just the mobo display. No cigar. I popped the GPU back in, made sure it was correct. Nothing.

i checked every wire to make sure it was plugged in properly. Yup all good. Took our and re plugged in to be safe. Nothing weird there.

i did the same with the modular PSU took everything out and re plugged it. Still nothing. I then moved the modular supplies to different holes to see if there was an issue with any specific output. Nope.

removed the CMOS battery for a minute and popped it back in.

tried booting with 4 pin and 8 bin connectors to the CPU nope

took the cpu out. No bent pins or damage that I could see. Put it back in.

I’m out of ideas at this point and have been unable to find any information other than what I’ve already tried. I don’t have any system sound so there’s no beeps.

I’m guessing it’s either the PSU or the motherboard but I’d like to find out which before I splash out £200 to replace both. Given they were purchased April 2019 I’m going to be if they broke.
Can you provide Detailed specs of your computer please and thank you

Aug 22, 2020
Can you provide Detailed specs of your computer please and thank you
Yes, sorry completely forgot about that.

msi tomahawk b450 AM4 mobo
EVGA superNOVA 650 G1+ 80 plus gold 650w modular psu
Ryzen 7 2700x cpu with stock cooler
2 x 8gb ram cosair vengeance DDR4
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660ti GAMING OC 6G

been working an absolute dream until today

Ferimer

Distinguished
Yes, sorry completely forgot about that.

msi tomahawk b450 AM4 mobo
EVGA superNOVA 650 G1+ 80 plus gold 650w modular psu
Ryzen 7 2700x cpu with stock cooler
2 x 8gb ram cosair vengeance DDR4
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660ti GAMING OC 6G

been working an absolute dream until today
WHen you removed the CMOS battery, did you unplug the power cable and switch the PSU to off?

Ferimer

Distinguished
Yes, everything was switched off and unplugged.
Was there a storm or power surge last night where you live? It sounds like the PSU is not sending out enough power. Maybe try another outlet. However It's hard to determine exactly the problem because of all the factors you tried. I would try and test a different PSU if you can. maybe a friends or something if you can. If it boots then its the PSU if not could be the MOBO. could be the CPU

Aug 22, 2020
There’s been storms all around the U.K. but I’ve not noticed any power issues, but it’s also always been plugged into a surge protection extension cord. I’ll try it directly into the wall before I go spending money though. Think that’s about the only thing I haven’t tried.

I was afraid the answer would be replacing components through trial and error. My bank account won’t be happy with me haha. I’ll try the wall socket first in the morning then if its not booting up still I think I’ll attempt replacing the PSU, then mobo, then CPU. Certainly hope it’s not the CPU as that only got upgraded in November.

When push comes to shove tho I’m glad It’s most likely not the GPU as that was the most expensive component.

Will post updates about trial and errors over the next few days for any weary soul with the same issue whose tried everything else.