Intel Core i5-4460 3.2 GHz Quad-Core Processor

ASRock H97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

Corsair Memory Vengeance Jet Black Low Profile 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz CAS 9 XMP

Seagate ST2000DM001 2TB SATA III Performance Hard Disk Drive

SanDisk SSD PLUS 480 GB Sata III 2.5 Inch Internal SSD

MSI Radeon R9 280X 3 GB TWIN FROZR Video Card

SHARKOON T9 Value MicroATX Mid Tower Case

XFX 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

Start this off by saying this an old PC and I am in the process of buying new parts for it. However, recently it shut down mid game and when I tried to turn it back on, their was no HDMI output to the monitor from either the GPU or the motherboard. All fans (including the GPU fans) were powered but their didn't seem to be much life in it otherwise (example, when I pressed the off button, the PC would immediately turn off, compared to the 2-3 seconds it would normally take when shut down manually).

It isn't really the biggest deal and I was expecting some issues sooner or later, but with the price of GPU's recently I was hoping to wait until later next year to buy a new GPU and stick with the 280x while I upgraded the other parts.

But now I am unsure if the GPU is broken or is it another issue. Is their anyway I can test the GPU? Has anyone else experienced these issues? Overall just trying to find out if I will need to buy a new GPU in order to upgrade it.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Solution
The only way I test is by reinstalling the GPU and testing with another (spare) power supply.

-Wolf sends

Edit:
If you can test the graphics card in another computer and it runs fine, then it's likely your power supply that failed.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Make sure to physically remove the R9 280X from the system before testing the on-board HDMI port. When a graphics card is installed, often times the on-board graphics are disabled.
Take the R9 280X to another system to test (if possible).

-Wolf sends

Diarmuidinskibb

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2015
Make sure to physically remove the R9 280X from the system before testing the on-board HDMI port. When a graphics card is installed, often times the on-board graphics are disabled.
Take the R9 280X to another system to test (if possible).

-Wolf sends
Thanks for the response!
So if I disconnect the GPU and their is an output from the motherboard after, it would safe to assume it's the GPU?
Would their be any risk in testing the GPU in another system if it is broken?

Wolfshadw

Titan
So if I disconnect the GPU and their is an output from the motherboard after, it would safe to assume it's the GPU?
Not necessarily. It could be either the GPU or the Power Supply. With the GPU removed, the power draw is much lower on the PSU and it may be low enough that even an impaired PSU can supply enough power.

Would their be any risk in testing the GPU in another system if it is broken?
The risk is generally minimal. I would not have any qualms testing the GPU in another system.

-Wolf sends

Diarmuidinskibb

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2015
Not necessarily. It could be either the GPU or the Power Supply. With the GPU removed, the power draw is much lower on the PSU and it may be low enough that even an impaired PSU can supply enough power.

The risk is generally minimal. I would not have any qualms testing the GPU in another system.

-Wolf sends
It displayed from the MOBO after I removed the GPU so it's looking like one of those 2 issues. I would say the next step is to test the GPU but I'm half convinced this is the issue. Is their any other way to test the PSU to make sure?

Wolfshadw

Titan
The only way I test is by reinstalling the GPU and testing with another (spare) power supply.

-Wolf sends

Edit:
If you can test the graphics card in another computer and it runs fine, then it's likely your power supply that failed.

Solution