Reputable
Aug 6, 2015
GPU: AMD RX 5700 PowerColor Red Dragon

MOBO: MSi B450 Tomahawk Max

CPU: Ryzen R5 3600

RAM: 16GB G.Skill RipJaws V black DDR4-3200 DIMM CL16 Dual Kit

PSU: BeQuiet 600W Pure power 11 CM Semi-modular 80+ Gold

Storage: Intel 660p 1TB M.2 NVMe

Two days ago I built a new PC with the listed components. It worked until yesterday in the afternoon while I was playing CoD MW. I turned it off and then it would turn on but there was no signal. Black screen. Nothing.

The EzDebug VGA light is on and the monitor gets no signal.

I have tried:

- Using a different PCIe slot

- Using only 1 RAM stick

- clearing CMOS and using a different battery

- plugging GPU into a different (potato) PC and again no signal

- I used a GTX 750 Ti in my new system and it would get me into BIOS but then it didn’t detect the M.2 NVMe. The BOOT EzDebug light is on. It said that the slot was empty even though it wasn’t. I then plugged in my old HDD and it would boot windows only this time the mouse and keyboard weren’t working.

- I plugged the RX 5700 into a third PC and again no signal. This PC would turn on the first time and then it wouldn't turn back on until I plugged in the previous GPU (GTX 750 Ti). PSU 600W in this PC.

I have all the latest drivers from MSi and AMD and the latest BIOS.

The GPU fans still spun tho. Not always but when it got warm enough i guess.

Is this a GPU or a motherboard issue? Could my GPU be dead? Or both?

Should I return the GPU and motherboard?

Last edited:
Solution
Motherboard can only be convicted by eliminating everything else. There is no "test" to determine a motherboard is bad really. Eliminate everything else, then if all that's left is the motherboard, then it is PROBABLY the cause of the problem.

If you can try the graphics card in some different system, one that does have a UEFI BIOS and is fairly modern, and has a good quality PSU, then you could at least eliminate that as as option OR know it was bad.

Personally, I'd probably go motherboard and then graphics card. Very unlikely that a bad graphics card would cause problems with the M.2 drive.
If the same problem is happening with more than one system using the same card, and those systems have adequate quality 500w or higher power supplies that have not been around the block more times than the street sweeper, then pretty clearly a no signal issue on multiple systems indicates a bad card OR a bad cable, if using the same cable for all three systems.

If you are using the same PSU for all three systems, then that is just as suspect as the GPU card, and that Pure power 11 isn't a favorite of mine although it should be ok enough for this to not be happening unless something drastic is wrong with it. Since it works with a different card, that's doubtful.

SirLipe

Reputable
Aug 6, 2015
If the same problem is happening with more than one system using the same card, and those systems have adequate quality 500w or higher power supplies that have not been around the block more times than the street sweeper, then pretty clearly a no signal issue on multiple systems indicates a bad card OR a bad cable, if using the same cable for all three systems.

If you are using the same PSU for all three systems, then that is just as suspect as the GPU card, and that Pure power 11 isn't a favorite of mine although it should be ok enough for this to not be happening unless something drastic is wrong with it. Since it works with a different card, that's doubtful.
HDMI cable works 100%. The PC #3 has a PSU with 600W and UEFI BIOS. Got not signal but the fans were spinning. I don't think the PSU is the issue. Weird thing is that the motherboard doesn't recognize the M.2 anymore. And why did the PC work normally for a day?

SirLipe

Reputable
Aug 6, 2015
These other systems ALL work fine with the OTHER graphics card installed?

You HAVE connected the required PCI auxiliary connectors from the PSU to the graphics card in every case, yes?

Did you buy this graphics card new or used?
Other systems all work fine. One PC doesn’t have a gpu only APU, and the PSU is not powerful enough but doesn’t matter.

Yes each time I made sure everything was firmly connected.

The card is brand new.

Last edited:
Well, if that PC doesn't have a PSU that is powerful enough, then yes, it really DOES matter. That means that system cannot be included in the "tried in other PC's" equation. Trying it in a system that can't support is the same as trying to run it in a cardboard box. You'll have just as much luck and it will be just as relevant to whether there is a common issue or not.

So count that one out. Now we are down to it doesn't work in TWO systems.

In your primary system, EXACTLY which slot, or slots, do you have the memory installed in? They should only be installed in the second and fourth slots over from the CPU, if using two DIMMs, or the second over from the CPU if using one.

Really sounds like a motherboard issue, but not being able to get the card to work in another system definitely leans us toward the graphics card. The fact that neither of these systems are likely to have a good quality PSU is somewhat problematic. I think you can take your pick and I'd probably start with the PSU unless you are willing to begin with a wait while waiting for a motherboard RMA.

SirLipe

Reputable
Aug 6, 2015
Well, if that PC doesn't have a PSU that is powerful enough, then yes, it really DOES matter. That means that system cannot be included in the "tried in other PC's" equation. Trying it in a system that can't support is the same as trying to run it in a cardboard box. You'll have just as much luck and it will be just as relevant to whether there is a common issue or not.

So count that one out. Now we are down to it doesn't work in TWO systems.

In your primary system, EXACTLY which slot, or slots, do you have the memory installed in? They should only be installed in the second and fourth slots over from the CPU, if using two DIMMs, or the second over from the CPU if using one.

Really sounds like a motherboard issue, but not being able to get the card to work in another system definitely leans us toward the graphics card. The fact that neither of these systems are likely to have a good quality PSU is somewhat problematic. I think you can take your pick and I'd probably start with the PSU unless you are willing to begin with a wait while waiting for a motherboard RMA.
The RAM is in slots DIMM 2. 2nd and 4th slot from the CPU.

Oh and on the potato PC i used the PSU from PC #3. But yes, everything on that PC could be incompatible.

I don’t see how the PSU could be a problem? Not powerful enough? What’s wrong with the be quiet?

I contacted PowerColor and am waiting for their reply. I will probably return the motherboard and the GPU.

Last edited:
Yes, a no signal is very unlikely to be PSU related. It's MUCH more likely to be the graphics card or motherboard. Since there are OTHER issues with that board, such as M.2 drive not working, I'm inclined to believe that the board is the issue rather than the graphics card but it could certainly be both.

SirLipe

Reputable
Aug 6, 2015
Yes, a no signal is very unlikely to be PSU related. It's MUCH more likely to be the graphics card or motherboard. Since there are OTHER issues with that board, such as M.2 drive not working, I'm inclined to believe that the board is the issue rather than the graphics card but it could certainly be both.
Is there anything else I can do to troubleshoot the motherboard and the GPU? I also tried turning on boths PCs with the RX 5700 without any drives connected and I got the same results, no signal. Should I return the GPU and the motherboard? I don't know what else to do.

Motherboard can only be convicted by eliminating everything else. There is no "test" to determine a motherboard is bad really. Eliminate everything else, then if all that's left is the motherboard, then it is PROBABLY the cause of the problem.

If you can try the graphics card in some different system, one that does have a UEFI BIOS and is fairly modern, and has a good quality PSU, then you could at least eliminate that as as option OR know it was bad.

Personally, I'd probably go motherboard and then graphics card. Very unlikely that a bad graphics card would cause problems with the M.2 drive.

Solution