[SOLVED] No storage being detected after installing a new PSU

Aug 19, 2021
So the other day my power went out and my pc wasn’t turning on after. I figured out is was the psu so I installed a new one today and my pc turns on. The only problem is now it’s not detecting any storage devices in the bios and I can’t boot into windows. I have a 250gb ssd that I boot off of and a 2tb hdd. I’ve made sure to double check the connections and even changed the sata cables but nothing has worked. When ever I turn on the pc I just boot into the bios and I it says it cannot find any bootable devices in the boot menu. Also, when I first turned on the pc I smelled a strong burning smell but that has went away. How do I fix this?
my specs are:
Asus strix z490f motherboard
I7 10700k
Rtx 3070
250gb ssd
2tb hdd
16g ram
850w Evga psu
Thanks

Solution
Check the TVS diodes on the SSD and HDD PCBs. If either TVS diode is shorted, then that points to a PSU fault or a cabling issue. You need to correct this before trying more storage devices.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
So the other day my power went out and my pc wasn’t turning on after. I figured out is was the psu so I installed a new one today and my pc turns on. The only problem is now it’s not detecting any storage devices in the bios and I can’t boot into windows. I have a 250gb ssd that I boot off of and a 2tb hdd. I’ve made sure to double check the connections and even changed the sata cables but nothing has worked. When ever I turn on the pc I just boot into the bios and I it says it cannot find any bootable devices in the boot menu. Also, when I first turned on the pc I smelled a strong burning smell but that has went away. How do I fix this?
my specs are:
Asus strix z490f motherboard
I7 10700k
Rtx 3070
250gb ssd
2tb hdd
16g ram
850w Evga psu
Thanks
Did you use the new cables that came with the new power supply?

Although you are now using the cables that came with the new PSU, but, did you at any time plug the old modular cables into the new PSU and connect them to your assorted hardware * and power the rig on? (That would sure account for the burning smell; and, alas, using the correct cables afterward is 'too late', if applicable)

Reactions: Bilaalk
Aug 19, 2021
Although you are now using the cables that came with the new PSU, but, did you at any time plug the old modular cables into the new PSU and connect them to your assorted hardware * and power the rig on? (That would sure account for the burning smell; and, alas, using the correct cables afterward is 'too late', if applicable)
Wow yes I did do that so I think your right. The smell is coming from the sata port. So does this mean I have to buy a new ssd? Is there anyway to recover my data? And can I use the new sata cables that came with the new psu now that I have plugged them in or do I have to get new ones. Good catch!