Question Not able to use TP-Link Archer AX23 as an access point ?

patelrom1992

Reputable
Jun 13, 2018
I have an fibre internet connection at my home.
The Fibre cable goes to a PON Router ( ZTE make ) and this PON router has 3 access points connected to it.
Access point that I am using is a Unifi AP LR ( Model: UAP-LR ).
Everything is working fine but this access point does not have a 5Ghz wireless band so I want to upgrade it.

So I bought a TP-Link Archer AX23 to use as an access point. But after configuring everything without any mistake the Tp-link Archer doesn't seem to connect to the internet.
After configuring it does connect to internet but loses internet connectivity within 30seconds and then just does not connect to the internet.

My PON router and access points are connected via armoured jelly filled cables.

Please help me out !!!

kanewolf

Titan
I have an fibre internet connection at my home.
The Fibre cable goes to a PON Router ( ZTE make ) and this PON router has 3 access points connected to it.
Access point that I am using is a Unifi AP LR ( Model: UAP-LR ).
Everything is working fine but this access point does not have a 5Ghz wireless band so I want to upgrade it.

So I bought a TP-Link Archer AX23 to use as an access point. But after configuring everything without any mistake the Tp-link Archer doesn't seem to connect to the internet.
After configuring it does connect to internet but loses internet connectivity within 30seconds and then just does not connect to the internet.

My PON router and access points are connected via armoured jelly filled cables.

Please help me out !!!
That armored cable may be the problem. Grab a short cable and see if the AX23 works well directly connected to your primary router.

Reactions: patelrom1992

patelrom1992

Reputable
Jun 13, 2018
That armored cable may be the problem. Grab a short cable and see if the AX23 works well directly connected to your primary router.
I checked with a small cable as well as the armoured cable and the internet works in both cases but when connecting through the armoured cable everytime i unplug and plugin the WAN cable it takes different time to connect to the internet ranging from 1 minute to 3 minutes and there are instances when the internet will just keep on connecting and disconnecting.

kanewolf

Titan
I checked with a small cable as well as the armoured cable and the internet works in both cases but when connecting through the armoured cable everytime i unplug and plugin the WAN cable it takes different time to connect to the internet ranging from 1 minute to 3 minutes and there are instances when the internet will just keep on connecting and disconnecting.
But that behavior doesn't happen with a short direct cable?
If that is the case, then I think the armored cable may be an issue. Did you terminate it?
One possible reason it takes a long time is that the hardware is having a hard time determining if the link can be 1GE or not. This is called autonegotiation. If the cable is marginal or badly terminated, then there can be problems with the two linked devices deciding on 1GE, or 100Mbit.

patelrom1992

Reputable
Jun 13, 2018
But that behavior doesn't happen with a short direct cable?
If that is the case, then I think the armored cable may be an issue. Did you terminate it?
One possible reason it takes a long time is that the hardware is having a hard time determining if the link can be 1GE or not. This is called autonegotiation. If the cable is marginal or badly terminated, then there can be problems with the two linked devices deciding on 1GE, or 100Mbit.
I will try unplugging and plugging the Ethernet cable to my Tplink device today again and see in what time frame it connects to the internet.

I had a doubt with the termination so I did terminate the cat6 cable with rj45 jack ( T-568B ) and after terminating also the problem persists.
I am confused that if an access point from Ubiquiti runs perfectly everytime then why won't a Tplink access point work ?

Will get back to you with the results for the short cable method.

Thanks.

kanewolf

Titan
I will try unplugging and plugging the Ethernet cable to my Tplink device today again and see in what time frame it connects to the internet.

I had a doubt with the termination so I did terminate the cat6 cable with rj45 jack ( T-568B ) and after terminating also the problem persists.
I am confused that if an access point from Ubiquiti runs perfectly everytime then why won't a Tplink access point work ?

Will get back to you with the results for the short cable method.

Thanks.
Could be a POE voltage drop problem. You could try putting a POE injector at the AP end of the cable.

Maybe try to use a LAN port rather than WAN. Might not make any difference but maybe there is slight difference between the ports.

Not sure what to recommend. The router should run to 100 meters with no issues on ethernet. If you happen to have a long wire or you can make a long cable you could see if there is some limit to how far it will run. You should be able to do it standing next to the router.
There is no simple way to test your existing cable to see if there is some problem. The meters that can certify and diagnose issues on cable are extremely costly.

You might want to verify that your cable is pure copper with wire size 22-24. Most expensive outdoor cables are fine but sometime you find CCA rather than copper wires. This greatly limits the distance you can go and is not technically allowed by the ethernet standards.

I assume you are using jacks on both ends and have tried replacing the patch cables on both ends. The short patch cables also must meet the standards especially when you connect them to a longer patch cord.

patelrom1992

Reputable
Jun 13, 2018
Maybe try to use a LAN port rather than WAN. Might not make any difference but maybe there is slight difference between the ports.

Not sure what to recommend. The router should run to 100 meters with no issues on ethernet. If you happen to have a long wire or you can make a long cable you could see if there is some limit to how far it will run. You should be able to do it standing next to the router.
There is no simple way to test your existing cable to see if there is some problem. The meters that can certify and diagnose issues on cable are extremely costly.

You might want to verify that your cable is pure copper with wire size 22-24. Most expensive outdoor cables are fine but sometime you find CCA rather than copper wires. This greatly limits the distance you can go and is not technically allowed by the ethernet standards.

I assume you are using jacks on both ends and have tried replacing the patch cables on both ends. The short patch cables also must meet the standards especially when you connect them to a longer patch cord.
Yes I agree with you about the length of cable and it would be long but atleast it is running with Ubiquiti Access Point.
I will definitely give a try with a longer cable to see if that works or not.
Also Is it possible that I can use a Gigabit Network Switch ( Tplink, Netgear, Dlink, etc ) between the access point and the armoured cable ?
Will that help in anyway ?