Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 8, 2021
Hey everyone, I am in need of some help! My organization just purchased a brand new Dell Latitude 5520 for one of our employees. These are the specs: KBG40ZNS512G NVMe KIOXIA 512GB SSD, Intel i7-1185G7, 16GB DDR4 SDRAM @ 3200MHz, Intel Iris Xe Graphics. We currently use Windows PE for imaging purposes (Task Sequence Wizard) . Before imaging the machine on Windows PE, I typically open up the command prompt and access "diskpart", where I can then format the disk on the machine to my liking so that I can commence the imaging process. When I do the "list disk" command, only the bootable media inserted into the machine appears (the USB). If the disk is not formatted, then I cannot image the machine so there lies the main problem. Furthermore, the machine already came pre-installed with Windows 10, so I was able to create an account and access the computer normally. I accessed "diskpart" from the command prompt while logged into the machine and entering the "list disk" command showed me my SSD. I also went on Disk Management and my SSD appeared. It also appears within my BIOS. The only place it does not appear is within Windows PE on the command prompt. I do not know what the issue could possibly be.

I have looked all over a bunch of different forums and I have not been able to get any straight answers. The machine has RAID turned on, so I disabled it and set the SATA/NVMe Operation to AHCI/NVMe mode to see if that would fix anything. This did nothing and did not allow me to boot into Windows 10 at all until I re-enabled RAID. I've played around with all Virtualization settings on the BIOS and that did nothing. I tried loading different Intel Rapid Storage Technology Drivers onto my boot drive and none of them have been successful in getting diskpart to display my SSD. I updated the machine with all the latest updates provided to me by Dell Support including BIOS updates and Storage Controller updates. I have gotten IRST updates directly from the Intel website that Dell might have not published yet and installed them on the machine, as well as loaded onto the boot drive. This did nothing as well. I unencrypted the SSD using Windows Powershell and this did nothing either. I reset the BIOS altogether as well. I have also created multiple USB bootable medias for the imaging to rule out that the bootable media is the issue. The bootable media works on other computers that our organization owns such as Dell Desktops, Lenovo's, and Toshiba's. This is the only machine it has not worked on.

You might ask, "If you already have Windows 10 installed, then why do you have to image the machine?" Well by using Windows PE and the Task Sequence Media Wizard, the computer can be automatically added to our organization's Active Directory and all software that is used by the org will automatically be installed and licensed. The imaging is a huge part of my job and this has become and crazy inconvenience. Can anyone help me with this and provide some insight as to what I should do next? Mind you, this computer is BRAND NEW.

Attached below are screenshots of the disk appearing while logged into the machine vs while in the Windows PE command prompt.
Windows PE (no disk appears, only USB): https://ibb.co/tD0DLxf
Logged into Windows 10 (disk appears): https://ibb.co/z6ypwyH

Jun 8, 2021

Hey so I looked into this and it didn't really help me. It looks like all NVMe SSD's are not displaying on diskpart on our Windows PE. I have tried two different model NVMe's on two different model computers. Want to say it's storage controller driver related, but I have tried injecting every type of driver into our bootable media that contains Windows PE and I have not gotten anywhere. :(

Jun 11, 2021
Hey so I looked into this and it didn't really help me. It looks like all NVMe SSD's are not displaying on diskpart on our Windows PE. I have tried two different model NVMe's on two different model computers. Want to say it's storage controller driver related, but I have tried injecting every type of driver into our bootable media that contains Windows PE and I have not gotten anywhere. :(
@anipere:
I had the same problem with a new Dell Inspiron 15 3501. The solution is to 1) uninstall both Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver/software; 2) uninstall management engine; 3) go into BIOS and change the Storage from "RAID" to "AHCI" and be sure Secure Boot is turned off. You will then see the NVMe drive while in DiskPart. I was trying to install Win 10 Pro. After doing the steps above I could see the drive, select it, type "clean" to wipe out all partitions and then run "convert gpt". Then I could install Pro on it. I don't know why Dell set these machines up this way with RAID since there's only one drive in it. Makes no sense to me. I don't want my computers with SSDs in RAID because the TRIM command (optimization) won't run on RAIDed drives.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2021
@anipere:
I had the same problem with a new Dell Inspiron 15 3501. The solution is to 1) uninstall both Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver/software; 2) uninstall management engine; 3) go into BIOS and change the Storage from "RAID" to "AHCI" and be sure Secure Boot is turned off. You will then see the NVMe drive while in DiskPart. I was trying to install Win 10 Pro. After doing the steps above I could see the drive, select it, type "clean" to wipe out all partitions and then run "convert gpt". Then I could install Pro on it. I don't know why Dell set these machines up this way with RAID since there's only one drive in it. Makes no sense to me. I don't want my computers with SSDs in RAID because the TRIM command (optimization) won't run on RAIDed drives.
Sadly this didn't work for me neither :(. I have reached out to Dell to see if they can provide some NVMe drivers for my specific drive to see if that works. I would then inject those drivers into the boot.wim of my bootable media for Windows PE.

Jun 8, 2021
I do have another solution for those experiencing issues with Windows PE and Lenovo X1 Carbon 6th Generation machines with an NVMe SSD installed. All you have to do is remove all of the Windows PE Drivers from the boot.wim file.

If you don't know how to do this, I will show you below:
1) Go to the terminal onto your machine in admin mode

2) Before running the following command, please read.The path (C:\WindowsMedia\sources\boot.wim) should be the path directly to your boot.wim file. Then, you are going to go onto your C: Drive (or whichever letter your storage drive is assigned to) and create a folder called "Mount" and within that folder, you will make another folder called "Boot". After that is done, run the command below. This command will Mount the Windows Setup boot image .

Code:
DISM /Mount-Image /ImageFile:"C:\WindowsMedia\sources\boot.wim" /index:1 /MountDir:"C:\Mount\Boot"
3)Then run the following command below to obtain a list of all the drivers located in the boot.wim file.

Code:
DISM /get-drivers /Image:"C:\Mount\Boot"

4)Run the following command below to remove each individual OEM.inf driver located in the boot.wim (You may have to add OEM#.inf files from the line of code depending on how many you have in your particular boot.wim file.)

Code:
Dism /Image:C:\test\offline /Remove-Driver /Driver:OEM1.inf /Driver:OEM2.inf

5) Once you have deleted all the drivers, go ahead and run the command from Step 3 again to verify that all the drivers are gone. Commit/Save all your changes by running the command below:

Code:
DISM /UnMount-Image /MountDir:"C:\Mount\Boot" /Commit

6. You should now be able to format your SSD from the Windows PE screen. Your Windows PE will stop working properly though, so you will have to inject the Windows PE network drivers only. Do not inject the storage drivers or this will cause your harddrive to become undetectable by Windows PE again. You can download the driver pack directly from this website if you are using Windows PE 10: https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-us/000108642/winpe-10-driver-pack.

7. To inject the network drivers, you must go onto terminal and run the command from step 2 again. Then you must run the following command below (replace the path (C:\WindowsSources\10\1909\Drivers\winpe) with the path directly to the network drivers within the Windows PE 10 driver pack you download and extracted onto your machine):

Code:
DISM /Image:C:\Mount\Boot /Add-Driver /Driver:C:\WindowsSources\10\1909\Drivers\winpe /recurse

8. Then go ahead and commit those changes with the command found in Step 5.

9. Also inject any NVMe or Intel RST related drivers that are specific to your SSD into the boot.wim to maximize the possibility of this solution working for you (some of you may not have to do this step). You can do that by going through Steps 7-8 again, but changing out the file paths to match the paths of those new drivers you want to inject.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2021
I do have another solution for those experiencing issues with Windows PE and Lenovo X1 Carbon 6th Generation machines with an NVMe SSD installed. All you have to do is remove all of the Windows PE Drivers from the boot.wim file.

If you don't know how to do this, I will show you below:
1) Go to the terminal onto your machine in admin mode

2) Before running the following command, please read.The path (C:\WindowsMedia\sources\boot.wim) should be the path directly to your boot.wim file. Then, you are going to go onto your C: Drive (or whichever letter your storage drive is assigned to) and create a folder called "Mount" and within that folder, you will make another folder called "Boot". After that is done, run the command below. This command will Mount the Windows Setup boot image .

Code:
DISM /Mount-Image /ImageFile:"C:\WindowsMedia\sources\boot.wim" /index:1 /MountDir:"C:\Mount\Boot"
3)Then run the following command below to obtain a list of all the drivers located in the boot.wim file.

Code:
DISM /get-drivers /Image:"C:\Mount\Boot"

4)Run the following command below to remove each individual OEM.inf driver located in the boot.wim (You may have to add OEM#.inf files from the line of code depending on how many you have in your particular boot.wim file.)

Code:
Dism /Image:C:\test\offline /Remove-Driver /Driver:OEM1.inf /Driver:OEM2.inf

5) Once you have deleted all the drivers, go ahead and run the command from Step 3 again to verify that all the drivers are gone. Commit/Save all your changes by running the command below:

Code:
DISM /UnMount-Image /MountDir:"C:\Mount\Boot" /Commit

6. You should now be able to format your SSD from the Windows PE screen. Your Windows PE will stop working properly though, so you will have to inject the Windows PE network drivers only. Do not inject the storage drivers or this will cause your harddrive to become undetectable by Windows PE again. You can download the driver pack directly from this website if you are using Windows PE 10: https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-us/000108642/winpe-10-driver-pack.

7. To inject the network drivers, you must go onto terminal and run the command from step 2 again. Then you must run the following command below (replace the path (C:\WindowsSources\10\1909\Drivers\winpe) with the path directly to the network drivers within the Windows PE 10 driver pack you download and extracted onto your machine):

Code:
DISM /Image:C:\Mount\Boot /Add-Driver /Driver:C:\WindowsSources\10\1909\Drivers\winpe /recurse

8. Then go ahead and commit those changes with the command found in Step 5.

Hope this helps!
This particular fix does not work on my new Dell sadly, but it might work for you guys on your particular machine.

Jul 23, 2021
This particular fix does not work on my new Dell sadly, but it might work for you guys on your particular machine.

Hi,

I have the same issue with the 3420, cannot get it to recognise any SSD at all when in that slot, whether its AHCI or RAID, ive installed all drivers manually using drvload and still no luck.

Did you manage to fix this?

Thanks!

Jun 8, 2021
So the department that manages our Windows PE found out that it was something on their end. Don’t know if they weren’t running the correct version or what. It ended up working as soon as they deployed the new environment.

Jul 23, 2021
So the department that manages our Windows PE found out that it was something on their end. Don’t know if they weren’t running the correct version or what. It ended up working as soon as they deployed the new environment.
Thanks for the reply! Any chance you could ask your team what they did to resolve? :D

Jul 23, 2021
I’m not sure what you’re implying? But I’m my office I’m responsible for the building of kit and also the WinPE image. Can two people not have the same issue unless they’re in the same office?

USAFRet

Titan
I’m not sure what you’re implying? But I’m my office I’m responsible for the building of kit and also the WinPE image. Can two people not have the same issue unless they’re in the same office?
Not implying anything.
Just that whatever settings the IT dept the OP has are almost certainly not exactly the same as yours.

'The same' is rarely 'the same'.

I'm just saying...a new thread with your particulars is almost always a better pathway than trying to work with someone elses problem.

Jul 23, 2021
Not implying anything.
Just that whatever settings the IT dept the OP has are almost certainly not exactly the same as yours.

'The same' is rarely 'the same'.

I'm just saying...a new thread with your particulars is almost always a better pathway than trying to work with someone elses problem.

after quite a bit of Googling it seems the 11th Gen chipsets are having issues with WinPE builds. So I’m just trying to see if I can find out what setting they changed, so that I can check mine.

logainofhades

Titan
My issue is EXACTLY the same as the OPs? Not sure how you think it’s any different?
WinPE not detecting the drive, Windows 10 preinstalled does?

• Hijacking a topic. Keep to the original subject matter so the entire community can be confident that the posts they read will have info relevant to their questions. This also makes conversations easier to find when others come looking for similar answers.

Trying to get help, for your issue, in another's thread is considered hijacking.

Jul 23, 2021

Trying to get help, for your issue, in another's thread is considered hijacking.
I’m asking the OP for their solution to their issue, that is the whole point of a forum? Not quite understanding your issue here…

Nov 30, 2021
@anipere:

Thank you! I was having the exact same issue as OP and it was driving me nuts! Disabling secure boot and changing the storage from RAID to AHCI did the trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.