[SOLVED] NVME Windows 10 OS not booting

Nov 11, 2021
So I have a 500 gb nvme ssd that already has a windows 10 OS on it that I've used normally for years. I decided to install a windows 10 OS on a SATA ssd I had lying around so I took my NVME out while I did it. I used the SATA for a few days then unplugged it and replugged the NVMEM.2 back in its normal place, secure but not tightly screwed.

Now my computer is acting like its a brand new ssd even though I can see all my files and user interface on it when I use search for a recovery image. It makes me use a USB boot drive and is trying to install windows again. I just don't understand why it can't boot like normal, I didn't change anything on it. The repair options all come up blank.

If I allow it to install windows again will it delete everything on the nvme? I can't bear to completely redo my everyday OS from scratch. This has never happened before and usually windows 10 just plugs and plays in other computers...

My bios is up to date ASRock UEFI. The SATA works fine when I plug it back in but just wanted it as a backup plug and play for the future. Any help would he a lifesaver.

Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Might want to state the make and model of your motherboard. We already got the hint that your motherboard comes from ASRock's camp. Include the BIOS version as well. As for your NVMe SSD, what is it's make and model and which slot is it populating on the board as of this moment? Going into BIOS, can you see what your primary boot device is listed as? It should ideally be Windows Boot Manager followed by (the make and model of your NVMe SSD listed here).

usually windows 10 just plugs and plays in other computers...
Not exactly, you're advised to install the OS afresh when you migrate an existing OS laden SSD onto a new platform(during a motherboard upgrade even).

Lutfij

Titan

Might want to state the make and model of your motherboard. We already got the hint that your motherboard comes from ASRock's camp. Include the BIOS version as well. As for your NVMe SSD, what is it's make and model and which slot is it populating on the board as of this moment? Going into BIOS, can you see what your primary boot device is listed as? It should ideally be Windows Boot Manager followed by (the make and model of your NVMe SSD listed here).

Not exactly, you're advised to install the OS afresh when you migrate an existing OS laden SSD onto a new platform(during a motherboard upgrade even).

Solution
Nov 11, 2021

The Mobo is an ASRock x570 Pro4 (UEFI 1.40) and the Nvme m.2 is an SP m.2 pcie gen 3x4 installed into the m.2 hyper slot. If it matters my CPU is a Ryzen 5 3600 with 16 gb of Ram running overclocked at 3200 mhz. What I am baffled by is that I have been using windows 10 on this ssd for more than a year on this exact Mobo with this exact BIOS version and it was only for two days that I unplugged this NVME m.2 ssd (after turning off the computer and holding the start button unplugged to avoid shorting anything) so that I could fresh install a windows 10 OS on my older 2.5 inch Samsung 970 SATA ssd using a usb boot drive.

The BIOS detects the Nvme and has it as a boot option but when I put it as option one in the boot order (or I force boot from it) it says that there is no boot media and to turn off my computer. When I put the usb boot media in it acts as if the NVME is new, though when I search for a recovery image I can see all of my files and the OS itself is safe and not corrupted, it just wont boot.

Do I just have to bite the bullet and wipe my NVME and fresh install it? Im just frustrated because I removed it when installing windows on the SATA so I wouldn't have to do this.

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021
Going into BIOS, can you see what your primary boot device is listed as? It should ideally be Windows Boot Manager followed by (the make and model of your NVMe SSD listed here).
The BIOS detects the Nvme and has it as a boot option but when I put it as option one in the boot order (or I force boot from it) it says that there is no boot media and to turn off my computer.

Did you see Windows Boot Manager in the bios boot order?

Nov 11, 2021
Did you see Windows Boot Manager in the bios boot order?
No, all of my partitions on the NVME M.2 are current MBR format which is confusing to me because I didn't do anything to alter the ssd, I literally just took it out of the m.2 hyper dock and then put it back after unplugging the other SATA ssd, so I thought that theoretically it would work fine as other ssds have for me in the past. When I go to the windows pre-install screen it shows my NVME M.2 and all its data as well as the two other partitions windows made but I cannot access any of them because they are stuck in MBR format.

It will not let me convert the MBR format with command as it comes back "geometry of disk error". Its a 500 gb ssd with only about 100 gb taken up by my programs. Im was using the most recent windows update on my OS.

I do have a laptop that I could plug the NVME into and perhaps I could convert the three partitions from MBR from there but would it make a difference? Am I just going to lose all that data? I am also just confused as to why the OS was working perfectly fine 2 days ago and now there is no recognized windows boot manager in my UEFI.

I literally just took it out of the m.2 hyper dock and then put it back after unplugging the other SATA ssd
Can you show screenshot from Disk Management?
(upload to imgur.com and post link)
Boot from sata ssd and have nvme drive connected, while making the screenshot.

Some notes -
1. samsung 970 - is nvme drive not sata and has no 2.5" form factor options; Samsung 860 evo perhaps?

2. wthat are you calling "m.2 hyper dock"? Some external M.2 to USB enclosure?