Question One hard drive partitioned or 3 separate ones?

paka14

Reputable
Nov 21, 2018
Hi,

I have a question- is it better to buy one m.2 1TB PCIe drive and divide it into partitions (1 for system, 1 for photos etc and 1 for games and programs) or separately 1 SSD 120GB for system, 1 HDD 500gb for photos etc and 1 SSD 512gb for games and programs? I'm wondering if separate drives, despite the decrease of performance, would be safer solution?
For example, if I had a virus on this one m.2 1tb drive on the partition with games, is it possible to format only this one partition?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and answers, regards.

USAFRet

Titan
I prefer multiple drives, but not the config you list.

500GB SSD for the OS and applications, some other single drive (another SSD) for games and other stuff.

Other people prefer a single large drive.

For the virus situation? A virus can attack all partitions or physical drives.
The best way to recover from that is a good backup routine.

I run an SSD large enough for my Windows and programs and data.
I also run a large HDD and clone my SSD to an image file on the HDD every month or two.
This way.....if anything goes amiss on the SSD......I can always go back to a state that I was happy with.

kanewolf

Titan
120GB is too small for a system drive or partition. 250GB is the minimum recommendation. A PCIe drive would be OK, but I would do the multiple drive solution with 250GB for the system. If you have a hardware problem with multiple drives, you don't lose EVERYTHING.

USAFRet

Titan
I know, obvious ;) Thanks all
A large percentage of all the issues we see here could have been trivially solved with a good backup routine, and knowing how to recover from a problem.

Reactions: paka14
Okej, thanks everyone for suggestions, I think I'll go with only 1tb m.2 ;)
I like that solution best.
It is much easier to manage one large C drive space.
Performance with a SSD is the same, regardless if you have one or 3 drives.

And... yes, you should have a external device backup regardless.
A usb attached HDD is not expensive. Disconnect it after you have done your backup.

Reactions: paka14