Feb 18, 2021
Hi there,
i am not compleatly new into pcs. I’ve build one or another, but right now i’m lost and need ur advice

My Pc needed an upgrade so i bought a new CPU and a new Motherboard. After swapping out the old components with the new ones, the PC is booting, but there is no Bios Setup popping up.

As a result of that, I chose to have it run with fewest components possible, so right now it’s as follows:

Ryzen 5 3600 +Cooler

GTX 1060 6GB

Msi B450M-A Pro MAX

1x8GB DDR4

500W Be Quiet Power Supply

The Graphics card is connected to my Monitor via. Displayport, and the cable is working, i have checked.

No additional cables whatsoever are connected to it except the power supply for the Cpu&GPU, the cpus fan, the Motherboard and the power switch.
The cables i have mentioned and the components have been checked as in if there is any cable not properly inserted etc.

So i don’t know what’s the matter and need some advice by you.
Thanks y’all in advance!
(P.S: English is my third language so excuse typos/wrong usage of words)

Did it work before you swapped CPU and mobo ?

Does it work if you remove the GPU and just use the onboard gpu (assuming you have a cable for that) ?

What is the excact name of the ram chips? Have you checked the vendor compatibility list so you know the RAM is actually compatible with the motherboard?

Feb 18, 2021
Did it work before you swapped CPU and mobo ?

Does it work if you remove the GPU and just use the onboard gpu (assuming you have a cable for that) ?

What is the excact name of the ram chips? Have you checked the vendor compatibility list so you know the RAM is actually compatible with the motherboard?

First Questions answer is a bit complicated. I had a Ryzen 3 1200 and a B450M Normal Version and wanted to upgrade my Cpu. Until then, everything worked perfectly. Bought the Ryzen 5 3600 and swapped it in, then i realized that i had to do a bios update with my old cpu so the new one is supported by the Mobo. Swapped the Old Cpu back in and it didn’t worked. Then i figured the Motherboard and/or cpu is defect so i bought the new motherboard that supports my new cpu out of the box. so before i swapped anything it worked.

Second Question: I cannot check if the system works without a graphics card because the Ryzen 5 3600 doesn’t have any form of gpu integrated so it won’t work without a graphics card, though i am currently trying to get someone else’s gpu to test out if it works with his.

Last Question: Sorry, i don’t get what you mean by Vendor List (Language Barrier) however i have 2 x 8GB Ballistix DDR4 2400Mhz

Last Question: Sorry, i don’t get what you mean by Vendor List (Language Barrier) however i have 2 x 8GB Ballistix DDR4 2400Mhz
Do this checks:
  • On the Ballistix web site, do they have a list of known good motherboards where yours are listed?
  • If not : On the MSI web site, have a vice versa - see if you find a list of known good ram, your Ballistix should be listed here.
  • On whatever website you used to order the mainboard - some web sites (at least on my location) that sell motherboards have lists of known compatible ram sticks. Have a look here as well.
So - if you find one or more on the above list, that means the ram sticks are known good for that motherboard.

Feb 18, 2021
Do this checks:
  • On the Ballistix web site, do they have a list of known good motherboards where yours are listed?
  • If not : On the MSI web site, have a vice versa - see if you find a list of known good ram, your Ballistix should be listed here.
  • On whatever website you used to order the mainboard - some web sites (at least on my location) that sell motherboards have lists of known compatible ram sticks. Have a look here as well.
So - if you find one or more on the above list, that means the ram sticks are known good for that motherboard.

Different Websites mention my Ram as comparable with my Mainboard. Also, with the last version of the Mainboard, the B450M Pro-VDH, The 16 GB of Ram worked perfectly as well