[SOLVED] PC Boots. No display. REWARD if someone finds solution.

stagefright

Commendable
Oct 9, 2019
Hello, hope you’re well. I have an issue with my PC, and I can’t seem to narrow it down. I’m hoping one of you guys has an idea of what could be wrong. The PC boots, fans spin and RGB lighting turns on, however nothing displays on the monitor. I believe the issue just occurred overnight with no input from me. The monitor and TV work with any other device such as my phone or laptop. No beeps or codes on the motherboard.
My troubleshooting method consisted of the following, without any results…

• Switched from DVI to HDMI connection.
• Switched cables for both DVI and HDMI tests.
• Switched display to my TV.
• Removed the GPU and tried both DVI and HDMI through the motherboard.
• Removed the MB battery to clear CMOS.
• RAM removed and tested with just one stick in all DIMM slots.
• PC taken apart, cleaned from any minor dust, re-seated, and rebuilt.

Any help would be much appreciated. If any more information is required, please drop me a message. Thank you!

<<Payment to assist is not encouraged. Please refrain from such offers.>>

System spec:

Monitor: BenQ XL2411
CPU: Intel i7 6700k
Motherboard: ASUS Z170M-PLUS
RAM: Corsair Vengance LPX (2x8GB)
GPU: ASUS Strix 1080
SSD/HDD: Samsung 850 Evo (250gb), 4TB WD Blue, 1TB WD Blue
PSU: EVGA 650W Gold

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Look at what is common between the builds. This seems to imply an issue with the CPU at this point.

Before you swapped motherboards, I was going to ask if you were previously overclocking anything. Also, did you ever try resetting the BIOS to its default state (jumper or battery removal method)?
Jan 11, 2020
Hello.

Does this mean you don't see anything on both your monitor & TV?
Have you tried plugging them in another device and checking if they even work?
When you turn the power on, is there some kind of light blinking on the monitor stating it's turned on (maybe it's a faulty power cable for the display).
When the PC boots on do you see basically anything on the display (e. g. the logo, the option to access the BIOS and is nothing displayed after the BIOS hand-off to the OS) or is there nothing displayed in general?

Best regards!

stagefright

Commendable
Oct 9, 2019
Hello.

Does this mean you don't see anything on both your monitor & TV?
Have you tried plugging them in another device and checking if they even work?
When you turn the power on, is there some kind of light blinking on the monitor stating it's turned on (maybe it's a faulty power cable for the display).
When the PC boots on do you see basically anything on the display (e. g. the logo, the option to access the BIOS and is nothing displayed after the BIOS hand-off to the OS) or is there nothing displayed in general?

Best regards!

Hello, thank you for your reply.

Yes, that is correct. Nothing is displayed on either of the displays.
Yes, both the TV and Monitor work with my laptop and phone.
No, no response from the monitor at all. Even when manually powered on after start up, displays No Signal and switches back off.
No, absolutely nothing is displayed on the monitor.

Kind regards,
Tom.

Jan 11, 2020
Have you recently installed any new hardware (like did you change the GPU) or even software?

There's currently nothing else that comes to my mind right now.
Wait for smarter-than-me people to see what they think because I have no idea. Sorry

I hope others can help you :)

Regards

Reactions: Buzzybabii_1
Nov 25, 2020
This could be a case of a dead PSU or motherboard.

Rule out the PSU if you can. If you have a spare PSU swap that in and see if you at least get to POST.

Leaving PSU aside, do you have internal speakers you can test your motherboard with? The short beeps will help you diagnose any issues you may have.

stagefright

Commendable
Oct 9, 2019
This could be a case of a dead PSU or motherboard.

Rule out the PSU if you can. If you have a spare PSU swap that in and see if you at least get to POST.

Leaving PSU aside, do you have internal speakers you can test your motherboard with? The short beeps will help you diagnose any issues you may have.

Thank you for you reply. I would also lean towards a faulty motherboard. ..
The PSU is a new unit installed less than a year ago.
The motherboard installed was a temporary, second hand eBay fix after my Z170 broke. So that could be the case.
Nonetheless, I will try to get hold of a different PSU to test with soon.
Unfortunately I don't have any internal speakers.

Thank you.

Reactions: Buzzybabii_1

stagefright

Commendable
Oct 9, 2019
Have you recently installed any new hardware (like did you change the GPU) or even software?

There's currently nothing else that comes to my mind right now.
Wait for smarter-than-me people to see what they think because I have no idea. Sorry

I hope others can help you :)

Regards
Thanks for the response. No, no hardware changes have been made. The entire system was built 4 years ago. Had the CPU, PSU replaced a year ago. The current board was bought second hand after the power delivery on my Z170 failed. This also took place a year ago.

No software changes have been made (Unless Windows updated overnight)

Thank you for your input!! :)

stagefright

Commendable
Oct 9, 2019
There should be LEDs on you Motherboard that could indicate an error.

I quote from the manual:
"Q LEDs check key components (CPU, DRAN, VGA card, and booting devices) in sequence during motherboard booting process. If an error is found, the corresponding LED flashes until the problem is solved. [...]"

from: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/Z170-K/E11133_MB_Pin_Definition_v2_web_only.pdf
Thank you for your response.
I will take a look at it tomorrow and keep this thread updated :)

Thank you.

Nov 25, 2020
Thank you for you reply. I would also lean towards a faulty motherboard. ..
The PSU is a new unit installed less than a year ago.
The motherboard installed was a temporary, second hand eBay fix after my Z170 broke. So that could be the case.
Nonetheless, I will try to get hold of a different PSU to test with soon.
Unfortunately I don't have any internal speakers.

Thank you.

No problem. Give another PSU a try.

I would also strongly recommend purchasing an internal speaker, since your mobo does not seem to have a Q-Code LED to indicate an error code. They sell for as cheap as $5 online. You can re-use them on a new mobo if your current one is dead.

Reactions: stagefright

stagefright

Commendable
Oct 9, 2019
No problem. Give another PSU a try.

I would also strongly recommend purchasing an internal speaker, since your mobo does not seem to have a Q-Code LED to indicate an error code. They sell for as cheap as $5 online. You can re-use them on a new mobo if your current one is dead.
Hello again,

Bought a new motherboard, same issue. Still trying to get in touch with my brother regarding a PSU to lend for testing.

Thank you.

stagefright

Commendable
Oct 9, 2019
Problems that occur overnight and without user input are usually the worst ones. Sounds like the board has flaked-out. I was going to suggest trying a different PCIE slot, but if the IGP doesn't work, then there's probably no point. Good luck with it.
Hello, I've replaced the board. Same issue.
Guessing it has to be CPU or GPU?

Reactions: spacejunk

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Look at what is common between the builds. This seems to imply an issue with the CPU at this point.

Before you swapped motherboards, I was going to ask if you were previously overclocking anything. Also, did you ever try resetting the BIOS to its default state (jumper or battery removal method)?

Reactions: stagefright
Solution

stagefright

Commendable
Oct 9, 2019

Sadly so.... I've just tried using 2 different PSU's. No result.

stagefright

Commendable
Oct 9, 2019

Forgot to add, No I wasn't overclocking. Yes, tried battery removal 3 times over. No result.