Jan 29, 2023
Hello, all. I'm not sure what to do on this issue. Bear with me with this backstory, it's a doozy. I bought a prebuilt gaming pc a few years ago from someone on eBay who had scalped a 3070 card from it to resell. At the time, it was a great financial deal because the seller was willing to part with the gpu-less pc for pretty cheap. It ran great for me for almost two years with my gtx-1070 as a temporary card. Last year I finally snagged a used 3070 for under 350$ to complete the build.

About three months ago, my pc stopped booting entirely. Sometimes it would boot, but only after flipping the psu switch a few times. Then, one day, not even that. "Easy fix" I thought, "I'll just get a new psu." So I did. Rewired the whole thing, and... no dice. Both psu's passed the paper clip test, so they both worked. Then I replaced the motherboard, and finally had success. My system worked perfectly... for a few months. Fast forward a couple months, and after working flawlessly, all of a sudden: blue screen while playing RDR2. Failure to boot again and again. Yellow DRAM light was on. I gave up. Sent the pc to a repair shop. They told me my DIMMB2 slot was dead. Fine. Switched Ram to unoptimized slots. Sucked that I couldn't run dual channel, but it's better than shelling out for a new motherboard (I'm a broke college student). Well, that lasted about 30 minutes once I took it home, before even that configuration wouldn't function anymore. It's worse now, black screens, total failure to post, and nothing at all. RGB's turn on but no power to peripherals 99% of the time.

The weirdest part is that if I can, on extremely rare occasions, get the system to boot, it will run perfectly until I power it off. I'm tired of completely dismantling this pc to fix it time and time again just for something else to die every couple of months. It always seems that whatever part I replace gets the pc to work for a couple months, but doesn't address some larger, boogeyman-like curse plaguing my pc. I do have a working surge protector.

TL;DR : My pc has been facing a host of problems. Replaced my psu, mb, and and two months later getting DRAM issues on the new board. Repair shop was useless. Wondering if it's even worth buying a new motherboard, or just a whole new pc since every part seems to break every month.

Jan 29, 2023
Are you sure your power switch isn't just going bad?

Disconnect the front panel power switch connector from the motherboard and short the 2 pins it connects to with something (like a paperclip) to see if it boots normally.

I could give that a shot. The thing is, all my rgb's and fans turn on just fine. The system visibly looks on, just does't post most of the time.