shiftyisplayingcs

Commendable
Dec 18, 2021
Hello, so I just upgraded my CPU and mobo from an i5 3470 to a r3 3100. It is very weird, often my taskbar lags, when I check task manager my CPU and ram is normal. Does anyone know the problem? I've tried to restart the Windows explorer, but 2-3 seconds later is still the same. Please someone help. Thank you! :)

pc specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100
Motherboard: MSI B450M PRO-M2 MAX
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666MHZ 8GB
GPU: Gigabyte 750ti 2GB
SSD: Samsung EVO 860 250GB
Storage: WD Blue 1TB
Cooling: Wraith Stealth
Case: Deepcool Matrexx 55 V2
PSU: Coolermaster Masterwatt Lite 500W

Solution
Hello, so I just upgraded my CPU and mobo from an i5 3470 to a r3 3100. It is very weird, often my taskbar lags, when I check task manager my CPU and ram is normal. Does anyone know the problem? I've tried to restart the Windows explorer, but 2-3 seconds later is still the same. Please someone help. Thank you! :)

pc specs:

So that is a full platform upgrade rather than just a CPU... I'm guessing that you just continued with your existing copy of Windows rather than...

pc specs:

So that is a full platform upgrade rather than just a CPU... I'm guessing that you just continued with your existing copy of Windows rather than installing from scratch?

That is likely your problem - you can get away with changing just the CPU if keeping the same motherboard (e.g. going from your i5 3470 to an i7 3770), you might also get away with it if you stay with same manufacturer (e.g. Intel 3000 to Intel 9000 cpu / mobo for example), however by switching from a 3rd gen i5 to Ryzen 2nd gen you are changing to a totally different platform and the two aren't compatible.

You can try booting into Windows in safe mode and removing all the devices drivers, then reboot and let it set everything up again. Also worth downloading the motherboard drivers from the MSI website, as well as AMD chipset drivers and make sure that is all up to date, however if you still run into problems chances are you will need to install a fresh copy of Windows to get everything working nicely. That SSD is pretty small (I'm guessing that is your boot drive?) - might be worth investing in a new larger SSD and setup a fresh install on that, that way you can copy over any files you had on the old install.

Solution

shiftyisplayingcs

Commendable
Dec 18, 2021
Thanks for the reply btw. Yes that SSD is my boot drive I just upgraded last week, so I'm still broke hehe. I've downloaded every driver from MSI and AMD. I'll try to reinstall windows, hopefully it fixes the problem. Thanks

Reactions: cdrkf
Thanks for the reply btw. Yes that SSD is my boot drive I just upgraded last week, so I'm still broke hehe. I've downloaded every driver from MSI and AMD. I'll try to reinstall windows, hopefully it fixes the problem. Thanks
Definitely give your windows a clean install. But install AMD's chipset drivers and get them only from AMD's support web site. Install only the LAN and Audio drivers from MSI web site. Avoid all the other MSI utilities if you possibly can.

Also make sure your new motherboard's BIOS is fully up to date.