Question PC peripherals and screen stopped working ?

Oct 8, 2022
So I builded my pc two years ago and it works normally. Yesterday I was using my PC as usual. I leave it on a couple hours (normal) and when i came back to shut it down I moved the mouse and nothing, I realized that the keyboard backlit was not on, so this was weird. I then shut it down using the tower button and turn it back on but nothing, not response on the screen, keyboard, speakers, mouse, nothing. The mouse has this soft red light which made me think it is not a power issue. Also, the case, GPU and CPU fans work ok. They have led lights and they are on.

What have I tried so far?
  • I changed the screen cable and tried different usb ports for keyboard and mouse.
  • I tried the mouse on a different pc and it is working good.
  • I opened the case, cleaned the system, reset the BIOS (both with jumper and taking out the battery) changed RAM sticks and tried with just one stick (each one of them). I also checked CMOS battery and it sits at 3.26V.
  • I took the PSU out and checked the voltages on the 24-pin cable using a multimeter. All ok.
  • I took the GPU out and looked for a response on the keyboard and nothing.
Finally, I unmounted the motherboard from the case and just leave the cpu with its fan, the M.2 ssd storage and a RAM stick. Still nothing on keyboard or mouse.

At this point I am not sure what else could I troubleshoot. I don't know how to test the 8-pin power cable for the CPU so that maybe helpful. When I turn the system on, the CPU EZ debug led turns on for a second and the shuts down and stays that way. I don't know how to manually test a RAM stick as this is my only system and I have no more spare parts to test each component. All help you can give me, questions or anything would be highly appreciated as I am working blindly here. At this point, I am thinking that maybe I skipped something obvious and I don't know what else to do. Thank you!!

PC Specs
  • Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk max
  • CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
  • PSU: EVGA 600W 80+
  • GPU: MSI GTX 1660 SUPER
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB
  • CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Best fix: haul your PC to PC repair shop and pay them to diagnose the issue.

Most likely cause: your low quality PSU had a fault and fried something, most likely MoBo (but you can consider that everything that was connected to PSU, is dead).

Parts replacements: bare minimum - PSU and another component that PSU fried. Worst case - replace whole PC.

Life lesson: never cheap out on PSU, since PSU powers everything and thus, is the most important component inside the PC.

Oct 8, 2022
Best fix: haul your PC to PC repair shop and pay them to diagnose the issue.

Most likely cause: your low quality PSU had a fault and fried something, most likely MoBo (but you can consider that everything that was connected to PSU, is dead).

Parts replacements: bare minimum - PSU and another component that PSU fried. Worst case - replace whole PC.

Life lesson: never cheap out on PSU, since PSU powers everything and thus, is the most important component inside the PC.
I thought that PSU was good quality since it is EVGA and 80+. What would be a good PSU? Thank you for your advice, I will look for a professional then.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I thought that PSU was good quality since it is EVGA and 80+

Bad misconception. Since brands, even popular ones (EVGA, Corsair, Thermaltake etc) offer cheap and low quality PSUs as well. So, you can not trust the brand name alone. You actually have to read PSU review, to know if the PSU is good or not.

For example:
Here is comparison of 4x EVGA PSUs (including yours), in 600W range,
pcpp: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/8RvZxr,y88H99,4FH48d,ZJBG3C/

Two of the PSUs in there are low quality, while other two are good ones. Can you tell me which ones and why?
Or lets put it another way. IF given, that the cheapest PSU would be as good as most expensive one, then why would EVGA produce the expensive PSU, that no-one would ever buy?

What would be a good PSU?

Good ones are: Seasonic Focus and Corsair RM/ RMi /RMx series. So is the Super Flower Leadex III suggested by @Vic 40.
(All 3 of my PCs are also powered by Seasonic, full specs with pics in my sig.)

For broader option, everything in Tier A is good,
link: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...er-list-rev-14-8-final-update-jul-21.3624094/

While the PSU you have, is Tier D, low priority unit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phillip Corcoran

TRENDING THREADS