[SOLVED] PC Posts, but is met with countless BSOD errors on Win10 boot (BSOD loop, can't get into Windows at all)

Dec 26, 2020
Hello all,

I recently upgraded my setup with a new motherboard, new CPU, and new RAM. Smart as I am, I thought replacing the three components and running from the same old SSD with win10 on it would be the way to go, but it turns out I'm wrong. After uninstalling a Realtek HD Audio Driver from the pc, because my headphone sound was crackling, it started rebooting seemingly by its own accord, and after half an hour it was so bad that I could no longer enter the OS.

BIOS Screen had "Preparing automatic repair" going, and then bluescreens.

So, I formatted my SSD, created a Windows Install Media on another PC with Windows 10 ready to go, which is what I'm trying to do now.

I can enter BIOS just fine, but as soon as I try to boot the USB with Win10 on it, or my SSD for that matter, I'm met with the blue slap in the face with different errors every time.

Some of these errors are:
SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
APC_INDEX_MISMATCH
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
KERNEL_MODE_HEAP_CORRUPTION

along with a few others, with the 3 mentioned first being the most common (70-80% of the errors)

I am sometimes able to enter into installation area (which also means WinRE) , but it bluescreens at when trying to either install win10, or doing any win10 stuff in general, throwing SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION.

I'm suspecting a bad driver, because of my aforementioned stupidity with the SSD going on.
If anyone here has an idea as what to (quickly) run in CMD for me to be able to forego these BSOD, I'd be happy to give it a shot as soon as the installation area becomes available again.

That, or any other suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Current setup:
MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk
Ryzen 5 3600
Switching between a 1070 ROG STRIX (main card) and an old 760 from MSI, currently with the best luck happening on 760
HyperX Fury 16gb DDR4 3200mhz (clocks at 2400 atm)

What I have tried so far:
Resetting CMOS
Reseating RAM
Switching to other RAM stick
Reseating CPU
Reseating GPU
Using other PSU
Using other GPU
Letting it sit during countless BSODs
Formatting SSD
SSD Erase+ (MSI BIOS "feature")
Unplugging and replugging every. single. component. Thrice.
Crying helplessly (away from the components, as you do)

What I haven't done yet:
Updating / flashing BIOS (I'm a bit scared to honestly)
Removing drivers from CMD (can't access C://, since it effectively doesn't exist (X:// Does though))
Refunded (bought on the 23rd, 14-day return policy until 6th of January)

Any and all help is very, very greatly appreciated. I'm honestly at a loss for what to do here.

Solution
Updating the BIOS on a Ryzen system is very important as it's not always sunshine and rainbows with the BIOS that comes out of the box and a lot of bugs and other issues are fixed with an updated BIOS.

Again I want to reiterate how simple it is.
Doesn't require any in depth knowledge to do it.

Just update via internet or file on a flash drive.
One click process.

Just make sure not to turn off the system at any time during the update process.
Also make sure that the system doesn't lose power in general.

If you live somewhere that you have issues with consistent power delivery then I suggest taking the system somewhere where you won't have to worry about it.
Otherwise if you don't have power issues at home, then don't worry about it.
Dec 26, 2020
All I can say is for you to update/flash the BIOS. That seems to be the best shot for at least knowing what the problem is since drivers can interfere the BIOS.
I'll look into it, but to be honest I'm not really into the thought of doing this, in case I mess it up and brick my mobo. Gonna watch and read up on it to make sure that doesn't happen, and get back to you if I ever decide to man up and do it. Thanks!

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Updating the BIOS on MSI boards is a fairly painless and easy process.
If the BIOS supports BIOS update over internet (which it should) then just plug an ethernet cable into the PC and proceed with that option in the BIOS menu.

Alternatively, you can download the latest BIOS file from the support page, put it onto a flash drive, and go into the BIOS update section and choose to update from a file, at which point it should see the file on the flash drive and update using that file.

DO NOT use front panel USB.
DO NOT use USB hub.
DO NOT use USB passthrough (from a keyboard or monitor or something else)
Plug the flash drive with the BIOS file directly into the back of the motherboard.

After the BIOS update, try installing windows (also using a direct USB port on the motherboard)

If you have issues with the installer, try the following:

Make sure the flash drive is 8GB or larger.

On a working machine with Windows, open command prompt as administrator.
Next, type the following commands pressing the ENTER/RETURN key after each line.

------------
diskpart (wait for it to fully boot up diskpart)

list disk (wait for the list of disks to be populated)

select disk # (# being the number of the disk that is your flash drive)

clean

create partition primary

select partition 1

active

format quick fs=fat32
------------

When the formatting is done you can close command prompt.

After this, make sure you are using a fresh/latest download of the media creation tool from Microsoft to create the bootable USB drive.

When the process is complete, make sure to close the program, then, click on the little up arrow on the bottom right of the task bar and amongst the icons, you will see the little USB drive. Use it to safely remove the flash drive and then unplug the flash drive.

Go over to your PC you want to install Windows to, making sure it's off, plug the flash drive into a USB slot on the back of the motherboard.
Boot the computer and proceed to boot from the flash drive and install Windows.

If updating the BIOS and doing the above process to clean the flash drive and make it ready for an installer doesn't work, come back and let us know.

ironstem

Reputable
Aug 15, 2020
I'll look into it, but to be honest I'm not really into the thought of doing this, in case I mess it up and brick my mobo. Gonna watch and read up on it to make sure that doesn't happen, and get back to you if I ever decide to man up and do it. Thanks!
No problem. I've never really done anything with BIOS, especially flashing it, but I hope the best for you.

ironstem

Reputable
Aug 15, 2020
If the BIOS supports BIOS update over internet (which it should) then just plug an ethernet cable into the PC and proceed with that option in the BIOS menu.

Alternatively, you can download the latest BIOS file from the support page, put it onto a flash drive, and go into the BIOS update section and choose to update from a file, at which point it should see the file on the flash drive and update using that file.

DO NOT use USB hub.
Plug the flash drive with the BIOS file directly into the back of the motherboard.

After the BIOS update, try installing windows (also using a direct USB port on the motherboard)

Next, type the following commands pressing the ENTER/RETURN key after each line.

------------

clean

create partition primary

select partition 1

active

format quick fs=fat32
------------

After this, make sure you are using a fresh/latest download of the media creation tool from Microsoft to create the bootable USB drive.

When the process is complete, make sure to close the program, then, click on the little up arrow on the bottom right of the task bar and amongst the icons, you will see the little USB drive. Use it to safely remove the flash drive and then unplug the flash drive.

Go over to your PC you want to install Windows to, making sure it's off, plug the flash drive into a USB slot on the back of the motherboard.

If updating the BIOS and doing the above process to clean the flash drive and make it ready for an installer doesn't work, come back and let us know.
Yeah, Qwerky definitely has more knowledge on this. I'll come back though if you ever decide to do something about it.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Updating the BIOS on a Ryzen system is very important as it's not always sunshine and rainbows with the BIOS that comes out of the box and a lot of bugs and other issues are fixed with an updated BIOS.

Again I want to reiterate how simple it is.
Doesn't require any in depth knowledge to do it.

Just update via internet or file on a flash drive.
One click process.

Just make sure not to turn off the system at any time during the update process.
Also make sure that the system doesn't lose power in general.

If you live somewhere that you have issues with consistent power delivery then I suggest taking the system somewhere where you won't have to worry about it.
Otherwise if you don't have power issues at home, then don't worry about it.

Solution
Dec 26, 2020

DO NOT use USB hub.

------------

clean

create partition primary

select partition 1

active

format quick fs=fat32
------------

I really appreciate this.

That being said, what do I look for in regards to updating bios through the internet? I've been through every menu on the board more or less, and haven't come across this.

I've looked at a video (
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTBs0-gTJRI
) for flashing the bios with a USB drive, and someone in the comments mentioned that a USB 2.0 would be preferable to a 3.0.
Just today I bought a 3.0 32gb USB drive, so size isn't the issue for sure, but I would very much like to know your thoughts on 2.0 vs 3.0.

Also, I haven't specifically formatted the usb drive to fat32 for the system install - would this be preferable, and a possible workaround without having to update bios?

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Usually people who say to use 2.0 over 3.0 are talking about it from the perspective of the port, since most flash drives people use are USB 2.0 and all they are saying is to use a 2.0 port rather than a 3.0 port with a 2.0 device as on some rare occasions issues can arise from doing so when trying to install Windows or even flash the BIOS.

But if you have a 3.0 flash drive you can use whichever port you want (probably best to just use 2.0 port for compatibility)

That video is how to use the flashback feature which allows you to update the BIOS without needing to have a CPU installed and booting into the BIOS itself to update.

In the BIOS, you should see an option at the very top that says "Advanced mode" and probably says F7.
Switch to advanced mode, then on the bottom left is a big old button for flashing the BIOS.

Dec 26, 2020
Usually people who say to use 2.0 over 3.0 are talking about it from the perspective of the port, since most flash drives people use are USB 2.0 and all they are saying is to use a 2.0 port rather than a 3.0 port with a 2.0 device as on some rare occasions issues can arise from doing so when trying to install Windows or even flash the BIOS.

But if you have a 3.0 flash drive you can use whichever port you want (probably best to just use 2.0 port for compatibility)

That video is how to use the flashback feature which allows you to update the BIOS without needing to have a CPU installed and booting into the BIOS itself to update.

In the BIOS, you should see an option at the very top that says "Advanced mode" and probably says F7.
Switch to advanced mode, then on the bottom left is a big old button for flashing the BIOS.

Just an update on this thread

The reason I originally upgraded was because of a failing ethernet port in my old motherboard.
On the reasonable side of lunacy, I decided to boot it back up to see if a CMOS reset (I only learned about this 2 days ago) would actually fix anything, and as luck would have it, it actually works just fine - for now.
That being said, I'm gonna run the old rig for a days time or so, and see if any failings occur, and if not, will be returning the newer parts. I don't have a performance requirement that asks for an upgrade on my parts, so I don't see a reason to spend money where I can save it.

If I don't update the post, assume that I've stuck with the old PC and returned the other parts.
I appreciate the help, and will definitely be bookmarking this forum for future reference - you guys are awesome!