Warysaur

Reputable
Sep 10, 2016
Hi all,

I built this PC around 6-8 years ago and have been continually upgrading it through the years. Over the last few months I had an issue where a Windows update would cause my taskbar to flicker and there would be a black screen until my desktop would load a few minutes later. That issue has seemed to go away. However, I now have an issue where my computer will boot up and log in to my desktop just fine, but after 5-10 minutes the PC black screens and the red CPU light on the motherboard comes on (components/fans remain running, HDD light stops, keyboard LEDs turn off).

At first I thought maybe it was a PSU issue as my PSU is one of the only original parts from the build, however upon swapping with a different PSU (albeit used and of the same model) I’ve found that the same issue still occurs. I’ve tried reseating my RAM to no avail, and I can’t even get into system recovery anymore as it black screens when I try, but even when I could get there attempting to restore to a past point threw an error (something about a file for iCloud).

I’ve also attempted to uninstall the last quality update as this fixed the previous issue temporarily, also no dice, and I couldn’t uninstall the latest feature update. Nothing really sticks out in the Event Viewer either. The only things I haven’t really swapped are the CPU and GPU, and I’d rather use a diagnostic tool to check my CPU if possible but I’m not sure where to start there. Any help is greatly appreciated, I just want to use my pc again.

My build is as follows:
Ryzen 7 2700
EVGA GTX 1050Ti FTW
16GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB (2x8GB 3600Mhz)
MSI B450 Gaming Plus
EVGA 500W 80 PSU
250GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
1GB WD Caviar HDD
Windows 10 Pro

Solution
Well since your mobo is wining about the CPU... its one of 2 things..... your mobo is right about the CPU.. which means it's the CPU..ooooor the Mobo is wrong.. so i means there is something worng with the MOBO or it's just being confused by partially faulty ram.

You should try with just one stick of ram (try in different slots)then swap the other one....
And you should check you CPU if its seated properly or if there is something, that is inside with it (maybe a small piece of dust.. who knows).

But it should be RAM , CPU or MOBO...
Well since your mobo is wining about the CPU... its one of 2 things..... your mobo is right about the CPU.. which means it's the CPU..ooooor the Mobo is wrong.. so i means there is something worng with the MOBO or it's just being confused by partially faulty ram.

You should try with just one stick of ram (try in different slots)then swap the other one....
And you should check you CPU if its seated properly or if there is something, that is inside with it (maybe a small piece of dust.. who knows).

But it should be RAM , CPU or MOBO...

Solution

BlueMicrobe

Commendable
Sep 20, 2020
Is that RAM a new component? I have almost the same mobo as you but mine is an X470. Most likely a motherboard or cpu issue. I think its the motherboard playing with the cpu, but it soundslike that 2700 could have been through alot over the years especially if its been oc’d constantly or under high heat, (85°+ constantly). If your Ram is new, Try under-clocking to 3200 and see if that works after you do as @Vyrvelata suggested and make sure to give all sockets a good clean out and inspection for damage or jammed in thermal paist.