Jul 27, 2021
My PC is really racking my brain. I keep randomly getting my PC just turning off as if someone unplugged it and then it boots straight back up. This happens no matter what game is loaded it can happen after a day 10 minutes or a few hours i rebuilt the whole PC it did not do it for 2 months and now it is happening every day again PC is 2 years old reinstalled windows twice my GPU is only about 5 months old and PSU is a couple months old the issue was still occuring with the old psu aswell i have updated bios my temperatures are fine on everything i am at a loss now and am hoping someone has a solution that wont involve spending money. Any answers are well appreciated.
My Specs are:

Asus Z490e motherboard
Intel i7-10700k
Asus RTX 3070
2x16GB Corsair Vengeance @3600mhz
Corsair RM850 Gold Rated PSU

Solution
Some more troubleshooting steps:

• Run Memtest86 not a windows app.
  • Do you have both power leads plugged into the GPU?
  • Update motherboard BIOS (fixes most issues)
  • Update GPU BIOS (fixes rare issues)
  • Update graphics drivers (obviously)
  • Run Windows Update (duh)

A bad GPU can certainly cause restarts, yes. It would be weird for the card to work normally but only cause a problem in games though.
I would try a 2-3 hour burn-in test with Furmark and see if it crashes once it gets hot.

And yeah if you can change back to your old GPU and the issue goes away that sort of confirms that.

One unknown variable is software. Windows sometimes gets a bit screwy if you update from an AMD graphics card to a Nvidia one, so to...
Jul 27, 2021
  • Is there any error message?
  • Have you been experiencing any issue with your HDD or SSD?
  • Try monitoring your PC temperatures to see if there is any link.
Thanks for your reply it just says kernel power 41 in event viewer "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."
No known issues the PC performs perfectly which is another thing i do not understand it has no reason to just power off and reboot like this.
Always watching my temperatures on the other Monitor not seen my CPU go above 74 Celsius GPU never goes above 68 mobo temp is 44 SSD temp is 44 HDD temp is 35

Last edited:

chaoyang

Reputable
Oct 24, 2019
Try doing the following (One at a time to isolate the problem):
  • Disable overclocking.
  • Check the memory - Use memory checker or do a hardware check in bios.
  • Check for any damage in your power outlet/extenders, make sure that they have enough volts to supply your PSU.
  • Also how old is your PSU and where did you bought it from?
This link helps troubleshooting for your error code, which I summarised some above: Go to Scenario 3

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/client-management/troubleshoot-event-id-41-restart

Jul 27, 2021
System is not overclocked in any way
I have ran a windows memory diagnostic and it came back clear
No damage on outlets and bought a brand new powerful extension cable my PSU was bought from PC world and is only a few months old
I am now leaning towards it being my Graphics Card as this is the only component i changed when i started seeing these random restarts can bad GPUs be known to cause random restarts as i doubt both of my PSUs will be faulty.

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
Some more troubleshooting steps:

• Run Memtest86 not a windows app.
  • Do you have both power leads plugged into the GPU?
  • Update motherboard BIOS (fixes most issues)
  • Update GPU BIOS (fixes rare issues)
  • Update graphics drivers (obviously)
  • Run Windows Update (duh)

A bad GPU can certainly cause restarts, yes. It would be weird for the card to work normally but only cause a problem in games though.
I would try a 2-3 hour burn-in test with Furmark and see if it crashes once it gets hot.

And yeah if you can change back to your old GPU and the issue goes away that sort of confirms that.

One unknown variable is software. Windows sometimes gets a bit screwy if you update from an AMD graphics card to a Nvidia one, so to rule that out I would do a full reinstall of Windows.

But yeah, you might just have a plain old faulty card which is rebooting your machine.

Solution