viper23

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2013
Hi,

I want to upgrade 3 major components of my pc : CPU, Motherboard, and RAM.

My current gigs are:

Monitor: Aorus Fi27Q
CPU: i5 4460
Motherboard: Gigabyte H61
RAM: 8GB DDR3
GPU: Aorus RX580 8GB
PSU: Antec EAG Pro 750W Gold
Case: Antec NX600
CPU Cooler: Deepcool Gammaxx 400 V2
Storage: Crucial Bx500 SSD (500 GB) + Kingston A400 (250GB)

I want to upgrade my pc for 2k gaming and will upgrade my GPU later but for now i am confused between which platform should i choose AMD or Intel?

My budget is 30K-40K INR.. this can be extended too :)

Thanks

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I don't know anything about the pricing in your locale but here is my take on Intel vs AMD.

AMD has offered extended support on the AM5 platform much as they did with AM4. If you were looking to get in cheap and then upgrade over time it is worthwhile to pick a good mobo with the future in mind, good RAM, and then for the time being go a bit lower than you might on the CPU such as to allow room to save up for (and update BIOS) for a future attractively priced upgrade to that platform.

Intel is still on tic tok updates. For the time being 13th gen is a "dead end" as we would expect 14th gen to be a different socket or other as they have been doing. With that said, there is (at least in the US) some really attractive discounting going on 12th gen, for instance and makes for a very powerful gaming rig. 11th gen is also dead end, but there are some superb deals coming up on them, particularly in the high end motherboard space. The CPUs have been priced a bit high still. I don't know what the announcement of discontinuation of that gen is going to do yet.

viper23

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2013
I don't know anything about the pricing in your locale but here is my take on Intel vs AMD.

AMD has offered extended support on the AM5 platform much as they did with AM4. If you were looking to get in cheap and then upgrade over time it is worthwhile to pick a good mobo with the future in mind, good RAM, and then for the time being go a bit lower than you might on the CPU such as to allow room to save up for (and update BIOS) for a future attractively priced upgrade to that platform.

Intel is still on tic tok updates. For the time being 13th gen is a "dead end" as we would expect 14th gen to be a different socket or other as they have been doing. With that said, there is (at least in the US) some really attractive discounting going on 12th gen, for instance and makes for a very powerful gaming rig. 11th gen is also dead end, but there are some superb deals coming up on them, particularly in the high end motherboard space. The CPUs have been priced a bit high still. I don't know what the announcement of discontinuation of that gen is going to do yet.
Thanks for the reply

could you suggest me a good AMD motherboard for future proofing? I'll check the prices by myself.

Thanks

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Just as a suggestion and opinion based mostly on AM4 performance, the MSI Tomahawk has been a really well reviewed and respected motherboard. I don't think it would be a bad place to start in regard to checking pricing and performance on the AM5 platform.