Iver Hicarte

Distinguished
May 7, 2016
I did some research about gen 3 vs gen 4 on GPU's when it comes to gaming performance, aaannd.......there's not really much difference. But how about productivity performance? is there any REAL WORLD difference? Like when it comes to video rendering, because I'm a video editor, and I would like to make a bang for your buck purchase when I buy a card.

Solution
The only scenario where PCIe bus speed would matter is if there's a lot of data passing back and forth between the video card and the rest of the system. And the only time this would happen in a given program is if the video card ran out of VRAM and has to swap contents around.

It might matter for certain GPGPU related workloads, but I doubt that's what you're thinking of.

4745454b

Titan
Newest isn't usually the best bang for buck. Getting the fastest ddr4, or a ddr5 system, getting gen 4, getting the newest of anything isn't usually going to provide you with a good bang for buck value. AMD has been 4 on their cpus so it's not like they are hard to find. But as you pointed out there is, currently, little difference. I wouldn't worry about gen4 at this point. We'll need it eventually. But that's a concern for later.

vladakv

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2016
I did some research about gen 3 vs gen 4 on GPU's when it comes to gaming performance, aaannd.......there's not really much difference. But how about productivity performance? is there any REAL WORLD difference? Like when it comes to video rendering, because I'm a video editor, and I would like to make a bang for your buck purchase when I buy a card.
It matter If you use RTX 3090 sli, many nvme drives, ssd's... Right now, there is olny maybe 2-5fps difference in games.
For future, buy gen 4.

The only difference you will currently see is in synthetic benchmarks. You won't have a perceptible a difference in video editing performance/speed.

The only scenario where PCIe bus speed would matter is if there's a lot of data passing back and forth between the video card and the rest of the system. And the only time this would happen in a given program is if the video card ran out of VRAM and has to swap contents around.

It might matter for certain GPGPU related workloads, but I doubt that's what you're thinking of.

Solution