[SOLVED] PLS HELP how to change CPU frequency in bios

Aug 14, 2021
Hey guys, I hope you all are doing well, I just wanted to ask you how I can change and lock my CPU frequency in the BIOS because my CPU frequency is nearly always at max (I have a ryzen 7 5800x and it goes quickly from 3,8 GHz ti 4,7 GHz) so it makes the cpu fans turn too much and make too much noise and it also affects my cpu temps. SO please can anybody help me out with this i want to lock it around 3,8 or 4 GHz.
Btw Im using an asus x570-F Gaming motherboard.

Solution
Hey guys, I hope you all are doing well, I just wanted to ask you how I can change and lock my CPU frequency in the BIOS because my CPU frequency is nearly always at max (I have a ryzen 7 5800x and it goes quickly from 3,8 GHz ti 4,7 GHz) so it makes the cpu fans turn too much and make too much noise and it also affects my cpu temps. SO please can anybody help me out with this i want to lock it around 3,8 or 4 GHz.

Thats usually normal behavior for Ryzen, the fact that you see the frecuency going up to 4.7GHz (max single core speed for 5800X) is because the system is performing tasks that use mainly 1 core ( alternating between the available ones to not stress only that...
D

Deleted member 1560910

Why are you overclocking ? I havent overclocked a AMD cpu since the AMD Phenom days. One thing is clear i think having the updated bios and having all other settigns like ram speeds at there max potential. I overclocked my 9900k watching a guide on youtube because it isnt as simple as just raising the core clock anymore like it was with the phenom 2 chips and even early I7 quad cores.

Reactions: lga1156_ftw
Aug 14, 2021
Why are you overclocking ? I havent overclocked a AMD cpu since the AMD Phenom days. One thing is clear i think having the updated bios and having all other settigns like ram speeds at there max potential. I overclocked my 9900k watching a guide on youtube because it isnt as simple as just raising the core clock anymore like it was with the phenom 2 chips and even early I7 quad cores.
I did not overclock, i want to lower the speed so it makes less noise bc it had cpu speed at max potential probably because of the updated bios as u said

D

Deleted member 1560910

I did not overclock, i want to lower the speed so it makes less noise bc it had cpu speed at max potential probably because of the updated bios as u said
CPU's do not make noise when they are clocked higher

Last edited by a moderator:

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Instead of gimping your performance just buy a better cooler the stock ones sux.

EDIT all of the new processors jump around on the speed (normal)
Setting a lower fan curve is not really good buy proper cooling for the processor.

Aug 14, 2021
Instead of gimping your performance just buy a better cooler the stock ones sux.
I have a nzxt kraken x53 aio cooler. Its just that the cpu goes max frequency on idle and does 55 degree C on idle whet its on max frequency and the aio fans make the sound of a plane soi just want to put it back to normal.

I have a nzxt kraken x53 aio cooler. Its just that the cpu goes max frequency on idle and does 55 degree C on idle whet its on max frequency and the aio fans make the sound of a plane soi just want to put it back to normal.
It's probably not real idle if CPU goes to max frequency. That would be first thing to check, what is it doing at Idle, start with Task Manager, anything over 1% is not true idle.

D

Deleted member 1560910

What i asked was for what reason are you overclocking your CPU ?

D

Deleted member 1560910

EDIT all of the new processors jump around on the speed (normal)
Setting a lower fan curve is not really good buy proper cooling for the processor.
It will make it run more quiet and less noise which was what he was after

D

Deleted member 1560910

At the cost of performance that's a band-aid not a fix.
Not really.Performance doesnt really change the higher the temps. That was only true with older chips like the Phenom 2 were the higher themps performance would be lost. What are the temps ? If they are in acceptable range. I never said it was the best fix but it is the cheapest fix. People run quiet set ups all the time at the cost of higher temps. Most users dont realize what there temps are on there pc and maybe dont even care. I think guiding him into buying something is premature until we know what the temps are when the cpu is running . The cpu unstable clocks is normal at a stock consig. There is no reason to change that unless you need performance and overclocking is required which is another story

Are you runing the lastest BIOS version?

Did you downloaded and installed the lastest AMD chipset drivers? https://www.amd.com/en/support

Thats usually normal behavior for Ryzen, the fact that you see the frecuency going up to 4.7GHz (max single core speed for 5800X) is because the system is performing tasks that use mainly 1 core ( alternating between the available ones to not stress only that one).

Your cooler is not bad, probably a 280mm radiator would have been better for the Ryzen 7 5800X. The radiator and its fans aswell as the case fans may contribute to give you better temps. But I have no idea how do you have all that setup inside your case.

Thats why I asked if you are using the latest BIOS and have the lastest AMD chipset drivers installed, both may help to lower the frecuency/voltage jumps for simple tasks that perhaps don't need a powerfull newer CPU runing at 4.7GHz.

I have no idea what temps are you reading, and there are many ways to "fix" a frecuency on Ryzen, or even make the CPU work slightly diferent. You can play with a lot of values, not only frecuency and voltage.

Solution

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
There are ways.

Credits to ShrimpBrime

"Enable PBO everything else on auto. Run Prime95 128k FFT with in-place unticked. (torture test) The SVI2 TFN (v-core) reading in HWInfo 64, what that reads, that is your fitness voltage.
The FIT voltage is your chip's safe voltage. Manually overclock frequency to this only. Going above is when you risk degradation."

That said, I used Prime95 smallFFT for everything.

And then set up a static OC and static CPU voltage, turn off PBO/CO (Curve Optimizer, shouldn't be on by default but just in case I'm mentioning it). You are going to have to test for stability. Prime95 smallFFTs is great for this. If you pass that for a couple minutes, you should be stable.
If you crash or are unstable, lower CPU clock/ratio.
You want to sit at FIT voltage during Prime95 test. Monitor this with HwInfo64 and nothing else. Can't trust other monitoring programs on Ryzen. So you have to set CPU voltage and LLC accordingly. In my case, FIT voltage is 1.275v. This will most likely be different for you so don't copy my settings. In order to get 1.275 during heavy load, my 5600x is set up to run 1.29v in BIOS and LLC 3 on Asus X470. So during light loads it sits at 1.29 but during Prime95 it drops to 1.27-1.275v.
So my procedure was to start at 1.275v in BIOS, LLC 3 and raising CPU voltage til it landed at 1.275 at full load. Initially it would drop to 1.26 (vdroop in action/LLC) or lower in Prime95 so that wasn't enough voltage. Then I increased voltage one step. You do this by pressing plus sign once on Numpad when CPU voltage line is highlighted in BIOS. That was still not enough so I repeated the procedure, plus sign again. Landed at 1.28-something. Still not enough, 1.287v, nope, not enough. 1.293v was it! Each time booting to Windows and running Prime95 smallFFT.
And from previous 'experiments' I knew my CPU could do 4.4 Ghz stable. So that is what I used during dialing in the voltage. Once voltage was set, I tried 4.6 Ghz, crashed, 4.55 Ghz, unstable and landed on 4.5 Ghz all-core.

This setup is cooler for me. PBO ON overwhelmed my 240mm radiator, temps shot up to 95 C instantly. Now I'm sitting around 80 C in Prime95. And I sacrificed zero performance. Actually gained some.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2021
Thats usually normal behavior for Ryzen, the fact that you see the frecuency going up to 4.7GHz (max single core speed for 5800X) is because the system is performing tasks that use mainly 1 core ( alternating between the available ones to not stress only that one).

Your cooler is not bad, probably a 280mm radiator would have been better for the Ryzen 7 5800X. The radiator and its fans aswell as the case fans may contribute to give you better temps. But I have no idea how do you have all that setup inside your case.

Thats why I asked if you are using the latest BIOS and have the lastest AMD chipset drivers installed, both may help to lower the frecuency/voltage jumps for simple tasks that perhaps don't need a powerfull newer CPU runing at 4.7GHz.

I have no idea what temps are you reading, and there are many ways to "fix" a frecuency on Ryzen, or even make the CPU work slightly diferent. You can play with a lot of values, not only frecuency and voltage.
I found out by the help of someone that in the new BIOS versions, the cpu frequencies and some other stuff are always maxed out, even on idle so I went in my bios and overclocked my cpu to 4.1 GHz and locked it there so it wouldnt go lower or higher, anyways thanks for ur help and I had no problem putting all of that in my case except the ram was pretty big and a useless steel part of the radiator blocked it so i cut it off with a saw.

Reactions: RodroX
I found out by the help of someone that in the new BIOS versions, the cpu frequencies and some other stuff are always maxed out, even on idle so I went in my bios and overclocked my cpu to 4.1 GHz and locked it there so it wouldnt go lower or higher, anyways thanks for ur help and I had no problem putting all of that in my case except the ram was pretty big and a useless steel part of the radiator blocked it so i cut it off with a saw.

Well, the only advice I can give you is to keep an eye on temps and voltage (I use hwinfo 64 portable - "sensors only" option), https://www.hwinfo.com/download/