rootordie

Commendable
Mar 11, 2018
Good evening.

So I just finished building a new PC, just for ordinary everyday use, no gaming GPU or anything. Specs are as follows:

ASRock B450M Pro4
Ryzen 5 2600
G.Skill Aegis DDR4 3200 (8GB, 2x)
Deepcool Gammax 400V2 Red
Corsair CX450M
Fractal Design Core 1100 case
2 Case Fans (1 intake and 1 output)
WD_Black Gaming SN750 500GB NVMe SSD
Seagate Barracuda Compute 2TB 7200RPM HDD (secondary drive)

I connected a monitor and fired it up. No POST message, nothing. The monitor was on and showed the 'No Signal' message briefly, then went dark. I would've expected the POST message a few moments later but....nothing. I pulled the side panel off the case and noted that all the fans were spinning and seemed to be moving air, did not check the Seagate drive to see if I could hear anything. I did doublecheck all the connections and wiring from the case, fans, etc. Everything seemed to be in order. I tried turning it on again and after I pressed the button it did appear to start up normally (aside from no POST message), but it suddenly shut itself off (IE the fans stopped spinning, etc.) and turned itself back on again. This happened sequentially for awhile, with the machine turning itself off and starting itself up again at a regular interval. I've tested it a third time with the same result.

I honestly can't think of anything that could've been an issue during the build itself. The cooler and CPU went on easily, no problems there. The only issue I had was the motherboard not fitting in the case initially. I had to bend the IO shield out just a bit in order for the board to fit in the case but it did fit (MicroATX board in a MicroATX case). I've built two PCs before this including a Ryzen 5 and ASRock B450 Pro4 build which worked flawlessly (am using it right now in fact) and another build using the ASRock B450M Pro4 which also had no issues. I've just never seen a PC do that start/stop thing on initial startup and was wondering if anyone on here has any ideas? What would you suggest be my next steps?

Solution
No, didn't really think I needed one since this is meant to be an everyday computer, for schoolwork, video calling, etc
Sorry i missed that earlier, my mistake. Most Intel CPU's have built in graphics but only Ryzen APU's, like the Athlon 3000g or Ryzen 3 3200g have onboard graphics. All Ryzen motherboards have HDMI video out so you can use an APU, but you do not have to. You will need to exchange the Ryzen 2600 for an APU, any model with a "G" on the end of it's number.

rootordie

Commendable
Mar 11, 2018
Yes leave the CPU + cooler, GPU, RAM and boot drive. You don't need the case fans. Here is a short video that shows you the basics of bread-boarding your motherboard.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKhCQmKAmEM
Thank you very much for the video. I pulled the board out and it appears that the stopping and starting thing has gone away. The bad news is the machine still doesn't POST. I cleared the CMOS, reconnected the power supply cables and tried every display output (VGA, DVI & HDMI) with no luck. Brought down a different monitor, also no luck. I pulled out my RAM sticks and looked them over, no damage that I could see. I did try booting with one stick (I used the first one, then removed it and tried the second). I also tried using the other RAM slots although I didn't expect that to solve the problem (it didn't). I pulled my NVMe drive out and tried booting using only the mechanical hard drive. No go, although I can hear the drive spinning and it seems to be working fine.

Everything I've tried ends with the following result: computer powers on, cooler fan starts spinning, monitor reads "No Signal" and reverts to power saving mode and the computer continues to run until I manually shut it off. What do you think I should do?

Thank you very much for the video. I pulled the board out and it appears that the stopping and starting thing has gone away. The bad news is the machine still doesn't POST. I cleared the CMOS, reconnected the power supply cables and tried every display output (VGA, DVI & HDMI) with no luck. Brought down a different monitor, also no luck. I pulled out my RAM sticks and looked them over, no damage that I could see. I did try booting with one stick (I used the first one, then removed it and tried the second). I also tried using the other RAM slots although I didn't expect that to solve the problem (it didn't). I pulled my NVMe drive out and tried booting using only the mechanical hard drive. No go, although I can hear the drive spinning and it seems to be working fine.

Everything I've tried ends with the following result: computer powers on, cooler fan starts spinning, monitor reads "No Signal" and reverts to power saving mode and the computer continues to run until I manually shut it off. What do you think I should do?
You are not using a video card?

No, didn't really think I needed one since this is meant to be an everyday computer, for schoolwork, video calling, etc
Sorry i missed that earlier, my mistake. Most Intel CPU's have built in graphics but only Ryzen APU's, like the Athlon 3000g or Ryzen 3 3200g have onboard graphics. All Ryzen motherboards have HDMI video out so you can use an APU, but you do not have to. You will need to exchange the Ryzen 2600 for an APU, any model with a "G" on the end of it's number.

Solution

rootordie

Commendable
Mar 11, 2018
Well, learn something new every day, thank you. I might just end up going for a low price graphics card instead of fully swapping the processor, do you have any recommendations for something like that?