stormman34

Reputable
Dec 17, 2018
Hello. I'm having problems installing Windows 7 on Samsung NP700Z5A. For the full story i'll put it in a spoiler.
At first I got this notebook (Win 8) from my friend who wanted to put Win 7 on it. After a little bit of hassle I managed to get all the drivers working and all was good. After a few years, Microsoft dropped support for Win 7 and so I (foolishly) offered him to upgrade it to Win 10. What I didn't know was that when you have a dual GPU notebook, you really need the correct drivers from the manufacturer (Samsung) and not just some basic AMD/Intel drivers. After a lot of troubleshooting, tearing my hair out and crying into my pillow I gave up on it for a long while. My friend didn't really care since he has a PC and only really used it when he went to LAN parties. I gained some knowledge since then and I discovered that Samsung only released Win 7 drivers. So I took my old Win 7 64bit DVD and when I put it into the notebook it just turns the screen on and off. So, then I tried to use USB and it gets into the Win 7 installation menu just fine, but when I click 'Install now' it wants the USB driver. I tried the USB driver from the Samsung website but it doesn't seem to work.
Long story short: When I try to install Win 7 via USB then it wants a USB driver and the one from Samsung website doesn't work. When I try to install Win 7 via DVD then it turns the screen on and off and doesn't do anything else.
I have a few more ideas but othervise I'm in a dead end.

Solution
Windows 7 install media does not support usb3.0.
There is a method to slipstream such drivers into the install stream.
Perhaps an easier solution is to use your sata dvd drive to do the install.

stormman34

Reputable
Dec 17, 2018
Bruh, it actually worked, the whole install seemed to finish, but then I stumbled into the same problem that happened when I tried to use the DVD. It seems that if I try to boot from anything else than the USB it just gets into this boot cycle where it turns the screen on and off repeatedly and doesn't do anything. Note, that nothing like this happened (at least I don't remember) when I was installing Win 10.

Edit: This is a answer to Punkcat

Last edited: